About the Marantz NA8005
Discover the beauty of digital music
Discover the beauty of digital music
You've probably listened to an MP3 on your smartphone or iPod® before. The sound quality may have left you feeling a little let down. Don't let that experience prevent you from discovering how wonderful digital audio can sound. When you hear lossless files played back through the Marantz NA8005, you'll embrace the digital music revolution with enthusiasm.
Network or local playback of your digital files
The NA8005 offers lots of ways to enjoy digital tunes from various sources. Connect your computer to the asynchronous USB input and hear your digital library sound newly refreshed as this player's audiophile digital-to-analog converter unlocks new detail and depth for a more dynamic, involving listening experience. You can also connect this player to your home network via Ethernet cable to stream music from computers, music servers, and online services like Spotify®, Pandora® Internet radio, and SiriusXM. Apple AirPlay offers easy wireless streaming from your iPhone® or iPad®, as well as networked computers running iTunes®. AirPlay streaming requires a home Wi-Fi® network and a wired connection between your player and home network.
There's a time and place for MP3s, but high-resolution music files offer unrivaled sound quality. The NA8005 can play high-res files with sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz, for sound that can exceed CD quality. You can stream these files over your network, play them from your connected computer, or load them onto a thumb drive for playback through the front-panel USB port. This versatile component also plays DSD files from your computer, server, or a USB thumb drive. Optical and coaxial digital inputs offer high-quality digital audio conversion with CDs and other digital sources.
The sound is in the details
The NA8005's superb sound is about more than just the Cirrus Logic DAC. Its output stage uses Marantz's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules, which ensure highly accurate, detailed sound is passed along to your amp or receiver. Build quality is what we always expect from Marantz — both solid and elegant, with a metal front panel, extra metal bottom plate, and large feet to minimize vibrations that can introduce distortion into the signal.
App control for iOS® and Android™
When you connect the NA8005 to your home network via Ethernet cable, you can control the player using your smartphone or tablet via Wi-Fi. Download the free Marantz Remote app to your Apple® or Android device and explore its intuitive interface as you explore your digital music collection with this great-sounding player.
- plays digital music from computers, music servers, and online services with your home stereo system
- Cirrus Logic CS4398 digital-to-analog converter (DAC) for high-performance playback of digital music
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPod touch, iPad or iTunes on your computer
- DLNA 1.5 certified for streaming music wirelessly from compatible computers and network-attached storage (NAS) drives
- includes support for Pandora, vTuner Internet radio, and SiriusXM (subscription required for SiriusXM)
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- high-resolution playback of DSD, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and ALAC files; also plays MP3, WMA, and AAC files
- up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution for PCM files; up to 5.6MHz resolution for DSD files
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod®, iPhone, iPad, or thumb drive
- direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- asynchronous USB input for pure audio playback from a connected computer
- output stage uses Marantz's latest generation Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM) for low noise and lifelike sound
- free Marantz Remote app available for Apple and Android devices
- gapless playback with FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and DSD files
- remote control
- AirPlay streaming requires a home Wi-Fi® network and a wired connection between your player and home network
Connections and Dimensions:
- stereo analog RCA outputs
- rear-panel USB input (Type B) for connecting a computer
- optical and coaxial digital audio inputs
- optical and coaxial digital audio outputs
- Ethernet port
- front-panel USB input (Type A) for connecting an iPod or compatible USB memory device
- discrete headphone amplifier with 1/4" output and volume control
- RS-232C port and remote in/out for use with external controllers
- detachable power cord
- 17-3/8"W x 4-3/16"H x 13-1/4"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NA-8005
What's in the box:
- Network audio player
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC003NA)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 42" Stereo RCA cable
- 29" Mono-RCA remote control cable
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information (US/CA)
Marantz NA8005 reviews
This Network player sounds very good, it has very good DAC's. The interface with an iPhone works very well, but I think it could be made easier to use. I have no problems using the interface, however, I sometimes have problems if I disconnect the network player from my network and try to get it to connect again. This may not be the players fault, but could be my Cisco switch it is connected to. Once again, the sound is excellent! So it is still worth the hassle.
Pros: Sounds Excellent
Cons: interface is quirky
2 of 2 found this helpful
Excellent sounding player, using it with a mac book pro and i-tunes works great together. excellent build quality, lots of hookup options and internet radio. Can't comment on the remote app as I'm not using it. Searching internet radio stations with the included remote is a pain but its doable. I also own a Marantz cd player, the build and sound quality of both are top notch.
Pros: Marantz build quality, sound quality and good looks.
Cons: Display could be a little bigger, price
1 of 1 found this helpful
This is a great sounding unit when it works, the problem is the mediocre tools Marantz gives you to use. I spend more time trying to get the music to play than actually listen. For the price point one would expect better interface tools, but they are just not there. You are much better off looking elsewhere for a network dac player.
Pros: Sounds good when it works
Cons: The display is too small to be viable The iPhone and iPad apps are horrendously unstable
7 of 8 found this helpful
Could not be happier with this purchase. Easy hookup and works as intended. The sound quality is excellent as expected. If you spend hours each day at your workstation, the investment will pay for itself. If you care about music quality and don't mind spending a little more for Marantz, this is the one. Warm audio matched with the PM8005 Amp.
Pros: Very clean rich audio using high quality audio files such as Spotify, CD's etc. Nice looking presentation on the desktop. Useful display.
4 of 9 found this helpful
After owning this product for a month, I can say that it has exceeded my expectations. My entire music library (1,500+ albums, over 1TB file size) resides on my iMac on NAS storage, and is accessed through iTunes. I have owned several other network audio players, but none had the seamless compatibility with my iTunes library as this one does. That is because of AirPlay. Whereas before I had to use a third party music streaming program (i.e. Twonky) in conjunction with UPnP protocol over my home network, I now simply open iTunes and control the NA8005 from my iPad using the Apple Remote app which exactly mirrors what is on my iMac iTunes library. No more fumbling through "folders" on the third party software to hunt for a particular album or track. For this reason alone, I am thrilled with this player. However, it has lots more going for it than that. It is a VERY solid, heavy unit - fully worthy of true audiophile components. The sound is first class - full, rich and powerful, and handles all my hi-res ALAC and DSD files perfectly. I chose this unit over the new NA6005 (which is currently running nearly half the cost of this one) because of the increased flexibility of having optical and coaxial digital output connections which I require for my home theater/stereo setup. If you are looking for a first rate audiophile grade network audio player with loads of flexibility for music file compatibility and component hookups, look no further than the Marantz NA8005!
Pros: True audiophile build quality Excellent powerful and detail rich sound quality Apple AirPlay compatible Multiple options for remote control operation Multiple hookup options
Cons: Relatively expensive, especially compared to its "little brother", the NA6005, which offers the same build quality and D/A converter, but fewer hookup options
12 of 14 found this helpful
More details on the Marantz NA8005
High-Quality Construction: The Marantz NA8004 Network Audio Player features high-quality construction and custom engineered internal components for audiophile sound.
- Double Layered Chassis: A double-layered chassis four integrated large rubber feet are used to resist vibration and unwanted distortion.
- Robust Power Supply Circuit: A large capacitance 3,300 μF capacitor carefully selected for its acoustic characteristics is incorporated into the power supply circuit.
- Audiophile-Grade Capacitors: The unit employs audiophile-grade film capacitors and electrolytic capacitors specifically designed for top-end Marantz components.
- Symmetrical Audio Circuitry: Symmetrical signal traces help maintain perfect synchronization between Left and Right channels for rock-stable imaging and a convincing soundstage.
- Peripheral Circuitry: In order to minimize noise from peripheral circuitry which could interfere with the analog audio signal, this unit is equipped with a peripheral circuitry off function which turns off the digital output circuit and the display.
HDAM SA2: The NA8005' audio circuitry employs Marantz's exclusive HDAM and HDAM-SA2 in a hybrid configuration to achieve low noise and high speed. Marantz developed these HDAM discrete circuit boards to replace standard IC's. The HDAM's consists of discrete surface mount components with short mirror image L/R signal paths. Those devices are doing exactly the same thing as the Op-Amps, but outperform the regular IC Op-amps dramatically in terms of the Slew Rate and reduced noise level, resulting in a much more dynamic, accurate and detailed sound.
High-Grade D/A Converter: The Marantz NA8004 employs a Cirrus Logic advanced D/A converter (CS4398) for superb high-fidelity audio playback (2Hz-96kHz). The Cirrus CS4398 stereo D/A Converter offers several advantages. An advanced multi-bit Delta-Sigma architecture handles 24-bit/192kHz digital signals, and boasts extraordinary dynamic range (up to 106db) as well as equally exceptional signal-to-noise performance (up to 110dB) so your digital music files provide the warmth, detail, and resolution you demand.
Digital Connectivity: Dual digital audio outputs (optical/coaxial) are provided for connection to your home theater receiver or other components. There are also dual digital inputs (optical/coaxial) that let you use the NA8005 as a DAC with other digital audio sources. The digital connections support Linear PCM signals (stereo) with sampling frequencies of 32, 44.1, 48, 65, 88.2, 96, 176.4, & 192 kHz.
Analog Outputs: The NA8005 network audio player is also fitted with analog stereo RCA outputs for connection to your home theater receiver, stereo receiver, or integrated amplifier.
Headphone Amplifier: The NA8005 also employs a high-quality dedicated headphone amplifier, which features its own output stage that's also equipped with HDAM-SA2 devices along with a precision variable analog volume control.
Network Connection: The Marantz NA8005 is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) port that lets you connect the network audio player to your home network (LAN) and your broadband internet provider. When connected to your home network, the NA8005 lets you listen to Internet radio and a host of other online music sources from your broadband internet provider, as well as play audio files from your computer via its network connection (DLNA 1.5 certified). The NA8005 also supports AirPlay that lets you stream your music library from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iTunes-enabled computer.
Note: This unit's RJ-45 Ethernet port supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX and requires an Ethernet (LAN) category 5 or higher cable, Router, Modem, and Internet connection.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The NA8005 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the network audio player, and browse your PC's music files from the included remote control. The network audio player also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the unit's front-panel display. The Marantz NA8005 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit Rate/Depth||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WAV||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24 bits||.wav|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24 bits||.flac|
|ALAC||32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz||16/24 bits||.m4a|
|AIFF||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24 bits||.aif/.aiff|
|DSD||2.8/5.6 MHz||1 bit||.dsf/.dff|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10.
Online Services: The Marantz NA8005 lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the NA8005 supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, SiriusXM, and Spotify Connect (as of 8/6/2014). The Marantz network audio player offers front-panel display and remote control over these web services.
|Online Services|| |
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), and AAC (16-320kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
|Pandora||Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription required.|
|Spotify Connect||If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify the Marantz network player. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.|
Web Control: You can control this network audio player from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The NA8005 and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
Software Updates: Using the NA8005's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz network audio player up-to-date.
Asynchronous USB Computer Connection: You can connect a computer to the unit's rear-panel USB (type-B) port to playback music stored on your Windows PC or Mac computer. The USB (type-B) port supports asynchronous transmission to ensure that audio signals from your PC are jitter-less. The rear-panel USB (type-B) port supports playback of various audio files stored on your desktop computer or laptop. You can control music playback from the NA8005 and remote control. Song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the unit's front-panel display. Your computer will need to meet the following system requirements when connected to the NA8005 's rear-panel USB (type-B) port.
Computer System Requirements Windows Mac OS Vista, 7, or 8 OSX 10.6.3 or later Software Windows Media Player iTunes USB USB 2.0 USB 2.0
Note: If you are using a Windows computer then you must download a dedicated USB driver from the Marantz website. Mac computers work without any additional driver needed.
Front-Panel USB Port: The network audio player is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5,000 files. You can use the player's front-panel display and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on the unit's front-panel display. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the player's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Compatible Audio Formats: The NA8005 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its front-panel USB (MSC/MTP) & rear-panel USB (Windows/Mac) ports.
Compatible Audio Formats Sampling Frequencies Bit Rate/Depth Extension WMA (Windows Media Audio) 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-192 kbps .wma MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48 kHz 32-320 kbps .mp3 WAV 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/24 bits .wav MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48 kHz 16-320 kbps .aac/.m4a/.mp4 FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/24 bits .flac ALAC 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz 16/24 bits .m4a AIFF 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/24 bits .aif/.aiff DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz 1-bit .dsf/.dff
Note: Copyright-protected files cannot be played.
AirPlay Compatible: The Marantz NA8005 network audio player is compatible with Apple's AirPlay technology. With AirPlay, the NA8005 can connect wirelessly to any AirPlay-enabled Apple device. This allows you to stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, or your computer's (Mac or PC) iTunes library; via your WiFi network.
- iTunes Streaming: The NA8005 network audio player is able to stream audio from your computer's iTunes account via AirPlay technology. When connected to the same network as a computer running iTunes, the NA8005 can appear as an output option in the pop-up menu at the bottom of the iTunes window. You can then browse your iTunes collection on your computer & stream music to the Marantz network audio player. You will need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to the same network as the NA8005.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the Marantz NA8005. So there's no need to dock your Apple device, unless you want to charge it. You will need an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 4.3 or later) connected to the same network as the NA8005.
- Apple Remote App: Using the Apple Remote App (free download from iTunes) on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad and your wireless home network, you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles & artist info on your Apple device. You will need an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 7.0 or later) connected to the same wireless network as the NA8005.
Note: The NA8005 network audio player, your computer (mac/windows), and your Apple device (iPod touch/iPhone/iPad) must all be connected to the same home network.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connect: The unit's front-panel USB (type-A) port can also be used to directly connect your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The Marantz NA8005 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. The Marantz NA8005 offers the following iPod/iPhone/iPad functions.
- USB DAC Bypass: The USB connection features digital audio signal handling, which bypass the iPod's DAC and routes the digital signal to the NA8005 's 24 bit/192 kHz audiophile quality D/A converters for optimum fidelity.
- Audio Playback: You can listen to music files from your iPod/iPhone by simply connecting the iPod/iPhone/iPad to the NA8005 's front-panel USB port using the Dock- or Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device.
- Music Browsing: You can choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone from the NA8005 's front-panel controls and remote control, or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. The Marantz NA8005 lets you browse by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. It also offers Play/Pause, Stop, Skip/Back, Repeat, and Random functions.
- Song/Artist Info: The Marantz Network Audio Player will display Track #, Elapsed playing time; as well as Song, Artist, and Album name. You can also choose to view the music information on your iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Charging: The NA8005 will charge (5V/1A) your connected iPod or iPhone when the network audio player is powered up or in standby mode. This unit does not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Marantz NA8005 is "Made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following specific iPod/iPhone models (as of 9/26/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connection Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Wireless Remote Control: The Marantz NA8005 includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the network audio player, Internet Radio, stored music files on your computer, a connected USB device, and a docked iPod/iPhone.
Marantz HiFi Remote App: The Marantz Remote App (from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you control the Marantz network audio receiver using your Apple iOS (7.0+) or Android (4.0+) device. This free-to-download app allows you to operate the network audio player using your mobile device's touchscreen, giving you complete control over playback functions & source selection. You can even search your network source's music libraries from your Apple iOS or Android device.
- Basic Functions: Control basic functions of the network audio receiver like power, volume, input, and settings.
- Music Browsing: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android devices, you can easily browse and navigate through your network music services or personal digital music collection with ease; and at the same time view "Now Playing' information and cover art all on a single screen.
- Create Playlists: The app on your smartphone or table, even lets you build your own personal music playlists on the fly with the ability to Drag & Drop files into your queue from your music server or music files on your mobile device. You can then save your queue as a playlist for easy recall.
Remote Connections: The Marantz NA8005 is fitted with the following custom remote inputs/outputs.
- Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the NA8005 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
- Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the NA8005 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
- RS-232C Port: The RS-232C port is to be used in conjunction with an external controller to control the operation of the unit by using an external device. The RS-232C port may also be used in the future to update the operating software of the unit so that it will be able to support new digital audio formats.
Front-Panel Display Dimmer: The Marantz network audio player features 4 display settings for the front-panel LCD window; 100%, 70%, 40%, and Off. You can the front-panel LCD to display English, French, or Spanish text.
Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 90 minutes in 10 minute increments.
Auto-Standby: If there is no input signal or operation for 15 minutes, the Marantz network audio player will automatically go into Standby mode.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked