About the Marantz NR1509
Big performance from a low-profile receiver
Big performance from a low-profile receiver
If you want full surround sound but don't want your A/V equipment to dominate your living room, the Marantz NR1509 is a slick, space-saving option. At about half the height of typical models, this slimline receiver can fit into a tight space and still deliver high-impact home theater and music. You'll get spine-tingling sound, plus all the latest features — 4K compatibility, next-level wireless streaming features, and versatile control options.
The decor-friendly Marantz NR1509 delivers high-quality home theater sound.
Built for solid audio performance
The NR1509 features high-current discrete power amplifiers on all five channels for powerful, precise sound. On paper, 50 watts per channel may not seem like a lot, but this receiver dishes out plenty of power to fill small- to medium-sized rooms with thrilling sound.
This receiver also lets you enjoy clear, detailed music, including playback of high-resolution digital audio files on a USB thumb drive or networked computer. Special processing cleans up compressed audio formats, letting you get the most out of the ample streaming music choices you get through Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Apple® AirPlay®.
Streamline your music with HEOS
Built-in HEOS technology lets you access all your music — from your personal library, internet radio, and popular streaming services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and TIDAL — through the NR1509.
This receiver can be easily integrated into a wireless multi-room audio system. Stream music to HEOS wireless speakers and components in different rooms, and control each room's sound independently with the free HEOS app. The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Play the same music throughout your home, or listen to something different in each room.
Just ask Alexa
The HEOS Home Entertainment skill for Amazon Alexa lets you use your Echo or Echo Dot to issue voice commands to the NR1509. You can easily switch inputs and control volume and playback on the receiver and other HEOS enabled devices. Alexa can also help you search for music and stream different content to different rooms in your multi-room HEOS system.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Audyssey MultEQ speaker calibration and system optimization includes:
- setup and room calibration for balanced, dynamic sound (microphone included)
- Dynamic Volume anticipates loud sounds to keep volume levels even
- Dynamic EQ improves dialogue, bass response, and surround channel levels at lower volumes
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- built-in HEOS technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- includes support for Pandora®, SiriusXM, and Spotify® (subscription required for some services)
- free HEOS app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- Pure Direct mode switches off unnecessary circuitry to provide cleaner sound
- M-DAX2 (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander) enhances compressed audio for better sound from MP3s and other digital music files
- HDMI 2.0b audio/video switching: 6 in, 1 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR 10, Dolby Vision™, and HLG
- composite video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- 3 analog stereo audio inputs
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- preamp outputs for two powered subwoofers
- Front L/R preamp outputs for connecting to an external stereo power amp
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- full-sized headphone jack
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- on-screen display for easier system setup and operation (via HDMI only)
- built-in Setup Assistant
- Video Select lets you listen to music (network, USB, or tuner) while watching video from a different source
- free Marantz remote app lets you use your Apple or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- sleep timer
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- 56 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- detachable power cord
- 17-5/16"W x 4-1/8"H x 14-13/16"D (6-3/16"H with Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- weight: 18.1 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NR1509
What's in the box:
- 5.2ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC040R)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Sound calibration microphone (ACM1HB)
- 2 WLAN/Bluetooth antennas
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Cardboard mic stand
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
- Safety Instructions
- Notes On Radio
- Sheet of adhesive labels
- Microphone Stand Assembly Instructions
- Bluetooth/WiFi Certified note
- Spotify Connect brochure
Marantz NR1509 reviews
I found the setup simple. Setting up the speakers takes some time and effort but still easy to do Great sound I like the compactness of the unit I had an Onkyo which used to be quality but I sent it to the factory once for the hdmi problem and it worked for awhile then I would lose the hdmi throughput and had to reset the unit monthly I figured time to replace and decided on the Marantz
0 of 0 found this helpful
Very easy to setup and use. Sounds very good.
Pros: It has Left and Right channel outputs so I could in integrate into my stereo system.
Cons: None that I can find.
0 of 0 found this helpful
A great unit! I am not very tech savvy, but the step by step set wizard made it very easy to connect the TV and Sat box through it with one remote controlling everything. The low profile is very nice as a room saving feature!
1 of 1 found this helpful
My wife gave me grief about the HT setup in the basement gathering dust. My old Harmon Kardon receiver, lacking HDMI, just wasn't cutting it since everything is HDMI nowadays. After a bit of research, it became apparent that HK no longer played in the AVR market aside from a few token products. Really an unbudgeted expense, so I was keeping things on the low end. I discovered that Onkyo/ AKA Pioneer had a reputation for HDMI switch issues. Yamaha was in the mix, I gave up on Sony AVR's prior to my HK purchase. Denon, although it shares a lot with Marantz tech-wise as they come from the same parent company, didn't seem to have quite the same level of positive reviews or reliability. So I got the NR1509. Setup was easy, I discovered from a webchat on the Denon sight that you cannot use Denon HEOS speakers as surround speakers with this AVR. Regardless this is a nice little unit fits the bill perfectly and I have not tapped its full feature set. The one thing I have to say is I miss the sound of my old HK. It weighed about 25 pounds and this guy is 18 pounds. The weight is in the amps. The NR1509 drives my Klipsch reference series admirably, they just sounded better on the old HK which is now my stereo receiver driving my old A/D/S speakers. No regrets - if I wanted more I could have opened up the pocketbook. My daughter is now kicking my son out of the basement so she can watch movies with friends, the HT is back to life.
Pros: Compact, easy setup, lots of features
Cons: Amps could use some more power
1 of 2 found this helpful
Great clean sound! The quality in sound produced by this receiver is exceptional!
Pros: Very efficient sound! Easy set-up.
Cons: None so far!
0 of 0 found this helpful
does work well easy set up
Pros: great sound
0 of 0 found this helpful
Fantastic little beast! Recently had to replace an old Pioneer Elite AVR when it decided to up and quit with the video portion of Audio/Video. Not quite sure what happened, but didn't want to risk paying the local AV repair shop $95 just to diagnose the issue. I ultimately decided I wanted to step down from a 120W monster to something I'd actually use to Fuller potential. Enter Denon/Marantz. Fairly comparable sisters until you get into the lofty top tier stuff, but what won me over was just how slim the 1509 is. Gone are the days of keeping the AVR cooped up in the cabinets of the old media console. I can actually fit it on the slim, open air shelf next to ye olde Xbox and have far easier access to the unit for future tweaks as I continue to build my home theatre. Don't let the lower wattage rating fool you, Marantz eeks out every last decibel they can, this baby can get LOUD but manages to stay crystal clear for it's pricepoint. Wonderful machine.
Pros: Loud for it's wattage. Plenty of features. Super easy set up.
Cons: None for my particular set up.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Great sounding receiver with quite a few "bells and whistles." It might seem a little expensive but it performs as you would expect (from a Marantz) and you soon realize that 50 watts RMS is more than adequate for most listening environments. It's attractive and compact to boot! One of the most valuable features is the Audyssey Dynamic Equalization that provides great sound even at low volume levels. I wasn't planning on spending as much for a 5.2 system but I did my "homework" and found that this is the best "bang for the buck." I'm very happy with my purchase.
Pros: Great Sound, Compact, full of features.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Great slim receiver. The 50W per channel was more than enough to drive my home theater setup. The dynamic eq and volume setting are very nice at ensuring voices are not lost in movies. Airplay works great as well.
1 of 1 found this helpful
As always, Marantz stands above the main brands in quality and performance. The audio and video quality were both noticeably better with the same cables, speaker, and TV
3 of 3 found this helpful
Great receiver for small/medium sized rooms. At $399 sale price, I really don't think you can do better than this little jewel. This replaced a Harman Kardon 1710 that I tried to love for a couple of weeks and ended up returning. The Marantz is a breath of fresh air as all functions work without fail. Movies and sports are great once calibrated correctly. But the best in my opinion is the sound quality of 2 channel, non-processed Stereo. I listen to alot of vocal jazz, indie-alternative, and reggae. Pure-Direct mode is extremely revealing and even Apple Music-sourced Airplay tracks sound fantastic. So glad I ditched the Harman Kardon and much happier in the music world than the my previous Sonos system that never delivered any sort of soundstage. I'm extremely happy
Pros: Sound and Build Quality Functionality
Cons: HDMI ARC forces you to listen to audio that corresponds to video. This will be no big deal to most, but I enjoy watching sports programming while listening to music. HDMI ARC doesn't allow this. I work-around via optical audio input.
9 of 9 found this helpful
Helpful staff, easy to order and received quickly
Pros: Very easy to setup by just following the on screen and on line directions
Cons: None yet
3 of 4 found this helpful
Not flashy, but a. solid receiver that has plenty of power.
Pros: Smart teceiver
7 of 8 found this helpful
Liked the sound an many features. Remote is good. Social media options are a plus but really bought to upgrade my old Marantz.
Pros: Many inputs, souround setup is good.
Cons: Instructions could better on initial setup.
3 of 5 found this helpful
Sound is great, and set up is easy. Love the WiFi feature. Received in two days! Thanx Crutchfield.
5 of 7 found this helpful
More details on the Marantz NR1509
Features & specs
Discrete Amplification: The Marantz NR1509 is equipped with a power amplifier that reproduces high-fidelity sound in surround mode with equal quality and power for all channels, true to the original sound. The power amplifier circuit adopts a discrete-circuit configuration that achieves high-quality surround sound reproduction. The five channel amplifier is rated at 50 watts with 2 channels driven (20-20kHz, 8Ω, 0.08% THD). The NR1509 features low-impedance drive capability, for excellent speaker control, and is compatible with 4-16 Ω speakers.
Audyssey: The NR1509 features the Audyssey suite of powerful DSP features - including MultEQ speaker/room calibration, Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ.
- MultEQ: Via the supplied measuring microphone, Audyssey MultEQ measures all the speakers in your home theater during setup, including the subwoofer, and then generates multiple high precision DSP room acoustic correction filters, which together provide smoothest and most natural tonal balance, regardless of the brand or model of the various speakers. Up to six listening positions can be measured, configured, and recorded. MultEQ compensates for both time and frequency characteristics of the listening area based on "Audyssey Setup" measurement results. Selection is done from three types of compensation curves - Reference (default and recommended, L/R Bypass, Flat, and Off).
- Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume features advanced psycho-acoustic processing to deliver clear dialog and wide range sound at reduced volume levels so that you can enjoy theater-level clarity at whatever listening level you choose.
- Dynamic EQ: Audyssey Dynamic EQ also features advanced DSP processing to deliver full range wide-band response, even at reduced volume levels. Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset provides three offsets from the film level reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected when the mix level of the content is not within the standard.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (6 Inputs/1 Output)||High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|Optical/Coaxial (1 Optical Input/1 Coaxial Input)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
Note: Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1ch surround sound via HDMI, it will only output 5.1ch surround because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Post Decoding Formats: The Marantz AV receiver supports Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie/Music/Game) and DTS Neo: 6 (Music/Cinema) to enhance 2-channel and multichannel decoding formats. The receiver offers the additional Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS NEO:6 audio adjustments.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Settings: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II Music modes: Panorama (sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect), Dimension (adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room), and Center Width (moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers).
- Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
Listening Modes: The Marantz NR1509 features a variety of Listening modes to choose from, so you can enjoy your movie or music soundtrack the want you to hear it.
- Auto Surround: In Auto Surround mode, the listening mode switches automatically to the corresponding type of audio input signal (Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS-HD, or multichannel PCM) that is detected. If the input signal is analog or PCM (2-channel), stereo playback is used.
- Virtual Surround: This mode lets you experience an expansive surround sound effect when playing back through just the front left and right speakers only, or when listening with a set of headphones.
- Multichannel Stereo: Left and right stereo channels are distributed to all the speakers so that stereo sound can be heard from all directions at any listening position.
- Stereo Playback: Sound is output from the front left and right speakers, as well as the powered subwoofer. If multichannel signals are input, they are mixed down to 2-channel audio. The tone settings can be adjusted.
- Direct Modes: Two Direct Listening Modes (Source & Pure) bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. Source Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Pure Direct Mode goes a step further by turning off the receiver's display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noised being added to the audio signal.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz NR1509 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CINEMA EQ: The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, and DTS Neo:6 modes.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
Volume & Level Settings: The Marantz NR1509 offers the following volume & level settings.
- Volume Settings: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB). You can also set a maximum volume level of 0 (80), -10 (70), or -20 (60) dB to limit the receiver's total volume output. In addition, you can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on; select "Mute", -79 to +18dB (1-98), or Last.
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
- Channel, Center, & Subwoofer Level: The volume level (-12 to +12dB) of each channel can be changed while listening to audio for each input source. You can also adjust the center channel volume level (-12 to +12dB) independently from the channel level to clarify the dialog for all sources. In addition, you can adjust the subwoofer channel volume level (-12 to +12dB) independently from the channel level to emphasize low frequencies for all input sources.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
Audio Outputs: The Marantz AV receiver features color-coded binding-post speaker terminals, dual sub outputs, and a front-panel headphone jack.
- Color-Coded Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 4 to 16-ohm. The AV receiver comes with color-coded labels to easily identify which channel a speaker cable should be connected to. Since the speaker cables have labels in the same colors as the connectors on the NR1509's rear panel, there's no longer any confusion about which terminals they should be connected to.
- Dual Sub Outputs: For compatibility with dual subwoofer home theater systems, the NR1509 features two non-discrete subwoofer outputs. With dual subwoofers, which can be placed in different parts of the room, you'll benefit from response averaging, which helps provide smoother and more detailed deep bass, compared to a conventional single subwoofer speaker system. The same signal is output from each sub output.
- Front Outputs: This receiver features front channel line-level outputs to connect an external power amplifier to your front speakers for increased power output. The output is variable.
- Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
Phono Input: The Marantz NR1509 is outfitted with a Phono input (MM), so you can connect your turntable and listen to your vinyl records with high-quality sound.
HDMI 2.0b: Featuring six HDMI inputs (5 rear/1 front) and one HDMI output, the NR1509 incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0b specification; including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR), 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, and 21:9 video pass-through, as well as support for 3D content. The NR1509 also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility, a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content.
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: The NR1509's HDMI inputs and monitor output support up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second. All of the HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission. The receiver will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The HDMI inputs and monitor output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. The front-panel HDMI only supports 4K 60/50Hz using format YCbCr 4:2:0 only.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- 21:9 Aspect Ratio: By supporting 21:9 aspect ratio, this receiver can show films recorded in the Cinema Scope format on your TV for a much more immersive video experience. When these types of films are viewed in the usual 16:9 ratio, you see black bars at the top and bottom of the screen; 21:9 eliminates these bars.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Marantz NR1509 supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR 10, Dolby Vision, and Hybrid Log-Gamma. HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Other HDMI Features: The Marantz NR1509 AV receiver's HDMI connectivity also offers 3D video pass-through, ARC (Audio Return Channel), Deep Color & x.v.Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function.
- 3D Ready: The NR1509 AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the NR1509's HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Composite Video Inputs/Output: The receiver features three composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output (480i only). You must connect the receiver to your TV via composite video to view incoming video from the receiver's composite inputs (there is no HDMI upconversion).
Video Select Function: This receiver can display video from a different source on your connected TV during audio playback from Tuner or HEOS music apps.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz NR1509 offers a wired or wireless network connection. Either network connection gives the receiver access to HEOS music apps (like Pandora, Amazon, or Tidal), TuneIn Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, as well as music content on your Windows PC or DLNA music server.
- Ethernet Jack: The Marantz NR1509 receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to make a wired connection from the receiver to your home network.
- Built-in WiFi: The receiver also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (7.0+).
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
TuneIn Internet Radio: The Marantz NR1509 includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the built-in TuneIn online music service. Simply select TuneIn from the receiver's on-screen menu using the included remote and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to you.
Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you can stream Spotify to the Marantz AV receiver. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
HEOS Music Apps: With built-in HEOS technology and the HEOS app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0) on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you'll be able to stream a wide variety of online music services (fees may apply), plus the music library of your mobile device through the Marantz AV receiver.
- Online Music Services: Using the HEOS app, you'll be able to stream your favorite online music services like Amazon Music, Pandora, TIDAL, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Napster, TuneIn, & Spotify (some services will require a paid subscription, purchases, and/or other fees). The HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art. You can create a "Favorite" station list, so you can quickly access your favorite internet radio stations and online music channels.
- Mobile Device Streaming: Using the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you are able to stream your device's music library to the Marantz AV receiver. You'll be able to browse your music library by Artist, Album, Genre, and Song; control music playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track; and view song/artist info with Album Art from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even type in an artist name or song title to find music in your mobile device's library.
- Prior to using the HEOS system, you'll need to setup up your free HEOS account. Your HEOS account remembers all your settings and preferences such as all your music service logins and HEOS playlists. When you'd like to add multiple smartphone or tablet controllers to your system, you only need to sign in to each new device with your HEOS user name and password. Instantly all your music services and HEOS playlists are available in the new controller too.
- If you prefer, HEOS supports multiple accounts in a single household. This way, each family member can enjoy their own personalized Pandora, Spotify, or other online music account settings and still share all the same speakers in the home.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The NR1509 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC. The receiver can wirelessly playback High-Res music content from your PC, while using the included remote control to browse your music library. The receiver supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the unit's front-panel or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz NR1509 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit-Rate/Bit-Depth||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually. You can create an 8-character name for each preset station. You can even directly enter a station number using the receiver's on-screen menu and remote control.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Marantz receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable HDD (a portable hard disk drive will require an external power supply). Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32 (a FAT16 device can have up to 2GB of storage, while a FAT32 device can have up to 2TB of storage). The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/500 files. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on your HDMI-connected TV and the receivers front-panel display. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Note: The receiver's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android OS devices, USB hubs, and computers.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Marantz NR1509 features built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0+EDR) with a 98.4' wireless range for music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.5). You'll be able to wirelessly connect to smartphones (including iPhone & Android), tablets (including iPad & Android), laptops (including Microsoft Surface & Macbook), computers (including Windows PC & Mac), and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the NR1509, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time).
- Wireless Music Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device to the Marantz receiver. The receiver supports the Bluetooth SBC codec only.
- Wireless Music Control: You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. There is no song/artist information display on the receiver or connected TV. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
- Auto On & Select: The receiver can be setup to automatically re-connect with previously paired devices, as well as turn on automatically when you start streaming audio from a Bluetooth source device.
- Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls is not supported.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Marantz AV receiver.
AirPlay 2 (via available firmware update): Through an available firmware update, the Marantz AV receiver will support AirPlay 2. AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Marantz receiver and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Marantz receiver. With AirPlay 2, also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Marantz receiver.
HEOS Wireless Multiroom Audio: Built-in HEOS technology enables the NR1509 to become part of the HEOS by Denon wireless multi-room audio eco-system, allowing you to stream and control all of your local and online music effortlessly from anywhere in your home with the HEOS App on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device over a wireless WiFi network connection. The HEOS system is a true multi-room audio system that automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple HEOS devices so that your music (up to 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res audio) coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync and always sounds amazing. You can play the same audio source (other than your connected TV) in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room.
Number of Systems & Groups: The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system can support up to 32 HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers (all sold separately) on a single wireless network (IEEE 802.11 g/n; 2.4/5GHz). You can join or group up to eight individual Heos devices into a group that function as if they were a single source. The HEOS eco-system is flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 Heos devices per Group). You can easily group 16 rooms together with Party Mode by simply using a "pinch" gesture.
Compatible Sources: The following sources can be distributed through the HEOS multi-room audio system -
- Receiver's analog inputs (HDMI & Optical/Coax digital not supported)
- Built-in AM/FM tuner, TuneIn Internet Radio, & Spotify Connect
- HEOS music apps (including Amazon, Pandora, Tidal, and more)
- Windows PC & DLNA music servers
- Bluetooth & USB audio
- Music libraries stored on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device
Note: HEOS wireless multiroom audio does not support AirPlay.
AVR Remote App: The new Marantz AVR Remote App (for Apple iOS 7.0 and Android OS 4.0+) lets you control the Marantz AV receiver using your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. From this free app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device, you'll be able to control the Marantz AV receiver's basic functions; such as power, volume, input, surround modes, and other settings. You'll also be able to navigate the AV receiver's network and Internet content from the app. In addition, you get you get unique features likes a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, the ability to create playlists, and control over a Marantz Blu-ray player.
- Landscape Orientation Control Screen: With a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, you can easily browse and navigate through your network music services or personal digital music collection with ease, and at the same time view now-playing information and cover art all on a single screen.
- Create Playlists: The app's playback screen allows you to easily build your own personal music playlists on the fly with the ability to Drag & Drop files into your queue, or tap to "Play Now", "Play Next", "Play Next and Replace Queue" or "Add to End of Queue". You can then save your queue as a playlist for easy recall.
- Marantz Blu-ray Player Control: The app allows control over Marantz Blu-ray players (UD5007/7007 series) that are connected to the AV receiver via HDMI.
Note: This AV receiver is not compatible with last year's older Marantz Remote App.
HEOS App: You'll need to download the HEOS App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device to enjoy HEOS functionality through the NR1509 receiver. Using your compatible mobile device and the HEOS app, you can setup, browse, explore, and control HEOS system right in the palm of your hand, from anywhere in your home. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home wireless (WiFi) network as the AV receiver and your entire HEOS system. The HEOS app consists of 4 control screens.
- Settings: The "Settings" screen enables you to connect one or more HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers to your home's wireless network.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Music/Sources: You can select what music and which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from online music services like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Tidal, etc.; your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, Windows PC/DLNA server, or USB thumbdrive; and analog inputs; as well as Bluetooth on the HEOS AVR. You can also select music from Playlists you've created, Favorites you've saved, and your recent listening History.
- Now Playing: The "Now Playing" screen displays song, artist, and album information; along with Album Art. You also get basic playback controls like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track, plus Volume controls Up/Down and Mute. In addition the "Now Play" screen functions unique to the selected online music service or music library.
Alexa Compatible: HEOS and Amazon Alexa customers can now enjoy the convenience of Alexa voice control plus high-quality wireless home audio. In addition to controlling your HEOS components with the HEOS app on your mobile device or tablet, you can now control them with Amazon Alexa voice technology and an Amazon Alexa device (such as the Echo or Echo Dot, sold separately). Your HEOS components and the Alex-enabled devices must be on the same network. Voice control features include -
- Alex voice commands include Volume (up/down, specific volume number, & mute); Playback (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Resume); and Power on/off. The HEOS Bar and HEOS AVR even support HDMI switching (1-4) through Alexa voice command.
- You can group your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app with an Alexa-friendly name. Once they are grouped, Alexa voice commands will control the group as a whole. If you want to play audio content from only one HEOS-enabled device in the group, you must ungroup the device within the HEOS app.
- You are able use voice commands to search for songs, albums and artists and even podcasts and internet stations from HEOS & Alexa compatible music apps - like Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM.
Google Assistant Support (via firmware update): Ask your Google Home, the Google app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.4+), or other devices with Google Assistant built-in to control HEOS content across your listening environment. Once you start music in the HEOS app, you can ask the Google Assistant to control volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more. Once you have grouped your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app, you can use the Google Assistant and voice commands to control a group of HEOS devices as a whole. Make sure the unit has the latest HEOS software and firmware update installed.
- A firmware update (scheduled for 2019) will allow you to use the Google Assistant and your voice to queue up music services, power on/off devices, switch inputs and more.
- Click here for more info on Google Assistant for HEOS.
IR Remote: The Marantz NR1509 comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the AV receiver. It also supports HDMI-CEC and Smart TV Control.
- HDMI CEC: HDMI CEC allows you to link operation of the receiver with other audio/video components (like your TV, Blu-ray player, or satellite/cable box) that are connected via HDMI. Linked functions include Power On/Off, which turns the receiver On or Off when you power on or off an HDMI CEC connected component; and Source Switching, which automatically switches the receiver to the input of the HDMI CEC component that has begun playback. The HDMI CEC function can be disabled, if your prefer. Not all HDMI CEC compatible devices will function in the same way.
- Smart TV Control: You can even control the Marantz NR1509 with your Smart TV remote via an HDMI connection and the HDMI CEC functionality associated with your Smart TV. Simply set "HDMI Control" to ON in the receiver, then set "Smart Menu" to ON and begin controlling the NR1509 with your TV's remote. The Smart Menu home screen provides you quick access to source and surround mode selections, the AVR's setup menu and four Smart Selects (or "Quick Selects").
Remote Connections: The Remote input and output terminals consists of mono-RCA jacks and allow you to connect the NR1509 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals. The IR Input (Flasher) consists of a minijack (3.5mm) and is used to control the NR1509 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
Web Control: You can also control the Marantz AV receiver from a web control screen on a web browser through your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Slim Design Chassis w/ Contoured Front-Panel: The Marantz NR1509 AV receiver features a slim designed chassis, so it easily fits on a shelf or inside a cabinet. The NR1509 features a contoured front-panel that combines aluminum and glass-reinforced resins for maximum shielding, dimensional stability, and sophisticated styling. The front-panel is clean, precise, and inviting. Volume and input selection knobs flank a rectangular volume/source display.
OSD w/ Setup Assistant (via HDMI): Once you connect your TV to the NR1509 via HDMI, the exclusive Marantz Setup Assistant appears on your TV screen to walk you through setup, step-by-step. With Marantz's on-screen menu and setup assistant, you can connect, configure, and use your home theater system with ease. The OSD and setup assistant features clear on-screen graphics and text that optimizes critical system settings for your particular home theater setup.
- The on-screen menu and setup assistant is required for initial setup and is only available through the receiver's HDMI output.
- The video being played will not appear in the background of the menu when the menu is operated during playback of 4K, HDR, or 3D video; or if the video aspect ratio is not 16:9 or 4:3.
Smart Select: On the NR1509's front-panel and remote control, you'll find four Smart Select buttons that let you quickly choose from the most popular input sources. With Smart Select, the NR1509 remembers not only your preferred inputs but also your preferred audio settings, so you can enjoy precisely tailored sound with each one.
Source Rename & Hide: You can change the display name (up to 12 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Lock Functions: To prevent accidental operation of the AV receiver, you can disable operation of the buttons on the front-panel. You can also disable the receiver's IR sensor to prevent accidental operation of the receiver from the remote control.
Timers: The Marantz AV receiver features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function.
- Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
- Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (15/30/60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
ECO Mode: This receiver is equipped with an ECO Mode function that allows you to enjoy music and movies while reducing the power consumption during use, Eco mode adjusts the maximum power available according to the volume level selected to reduce power consumption.
Protection Circuit: This is a function to prevent damage to components within the power supply when an abnormality such as an overload, excess voltage, or over-heating occurs. In this unit, the power indicator blinks and the unit enters standby mode when an abnormality occurs.
Software Updates: Using the receiver's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. You can also set the receiver to automatically download the latest firmware and software updates when it is in standby mode. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz receiver up-to-date.
Advanced Custom Installation Support: The Marantz AV receiver offers extended support for easy custom install integration. Featuring "ihiji Invision" remote system management technology, "Domotz Pro" remote monitoring and management technology with dedicated web interface to control and setup the AV receiver from a computer on the same network. Let your installer easily monitor the status of connected products and troubleshoot remotely from a separate location or on-the-go.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked