About the Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower®
High-performance sound and a slim, elegant design
High-performance sound and a slim, elegant design
Save floor space by having the subwoofers built directly into the tower speakers.
The Mythos STS SuperTower speaker delivers impressive, high-end home theater sound. In fact, Stereophile's Wes Phillips wrote, "It just may be the best loudspeaker I've heard for $3,000/pair" (August 2008 issue). It features a sleek aluminum cabinet and some of Definitive's most advanced components and technologies.
But what really sets the Mythos STS apart from typical speakers is the SuperCube® powered subwoofer built right into the cabinet. It allows this speaker to generate startlingly deep bass, for big home theater sound.
High-tech components and design for exceptionally detailed sound
Near the top of the cabinet are two 4-1/2" midrange drivers flanking a 1" dome tweeter, all acoustically isolated in their own sub-enclosure to prevent interference from the bass drivers. Each midrange features Definitive's Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) technology, which employs rubber surrounds on both the outer and inner edges of each speaker cone, for more stable, precise motion resulting in exceptional clarity. The pure aluminum dome tweeter has a special ceramic coating, so you'll hear loads of sonic detail without the edginess of lesser tweeters.
Powerful bass built right into the cabinet
The lower section of the cabinet holds a 5" x 10" racetrack-shaped woofer reinforced by two bass radiators. This combination creates a total surface area that's actually greater than that of a traditional 12" woofer, but the three-driver approach provides better low-frequency control, speed, and detail.
A built-in 300-watt amplifier powers the subwoofer, delivering massive bass that eliminates the need for an external sub. Aside from saving you some floor space, the built-in subwoofer ensures balanced system sound because the bass is already perfectly blended with the mids and the highs. The subwoofer also has an adjustable volume control so you can fine-tune the bass to suit your room or taste.
Gorgeous aircraft-grade aluminum cabinet
Definitive took a step away from the traditional look of boxy floor-standing speakers, and built the Mythos STS's slim, curved cabinet using contemporary design principles. The enclosure is made of black hand-polished aluminum, and rests on a polished granite base to ensure total rigidity and stability. Hooking it up is as simple as running one set of speaker wires from your amplifier or receiver to the speaker.
Did you know?
Your new speakers will probably sound better after several weeks of use than they do right out of the box. That's because the material surrounding the woofers will loosen up, allowing the drivers to move more fully. Definitive Technology estimates a break-in period of 24 to 48 hours of playback before the speakers will deliver optimum sound quality. For more information and helpful tips, check out this article from Definitive's website about conditioning your speakers.
- frequency response 16-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity 93 dB
- 8-ohm impedance
- handles up to 250 watts
- one 1" ceramic-coated, pure aluminum dome tweeter
- two 4-1/2" BDSS midrange drivers
- one 5" x 10" long-throw racetrack subwoofer reinforced by two 5" x 10" racetrack radiators
- built-in 300-watt subwoofer amplifier with adjustable volume control
- subwoofer auto on/off
- one pair of 5-way binding posts
- line-level LFE input (optional connection for use with receivers with LFE output)
- aircraft grade extruded aluminum cabinet and granite base
- gloss black finish
- 10-foot AC power cord for built-in subwoofer
- 10-3/8"W x 46-15/16"H x 14"D
- warranty: 5 years for speakers, 3 years for amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- sold individually
- MFR # VEIB
What's in the box:
- Tower speaker with built-in powered subwoofer
- Removable cloth grille (installed)
- Granite base
- 10' AC power cord
- 5 Spiked-feet
- 5 Plastic feet
- 4 Mounting bolts
- 8 Flat washers
- Allen wrench
- Self-adhesive wire-clip
- Owner's Manual
- Online Product Registration card
Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower® reviews
I bought a pair of these Mythos STS towers for my 7.2 channel set up. The built in sub-woofer adds a great balance to the back channel set up. They are quality manufactured and exceptional looking. I would recommend this Definitive Technology product.
0 of 0 found this helpful
These hi-fi speakers play so very clean and easy. They also get loud enough to bother the neighbors if you're not careful!
0 of 1 found this helpful
Great speakers with good range.
0 of 1 found this helpful
Great speaker at a great price. The integrated subwoofer helps me keep costs low for my entire home theater.
Pros: Integrated subwoofer
0 of 1 found this helpful
Not Crutchfield's fault but one speaker had a mid range driver with what appeared to be dry rot and was defective. Crutchfield responded with absolute great customer service and took care of everything including RMA and not charging me any return fees. I would highly recommend Crutchfield's customer service and would purchase from then again.
2 of 6 found this helpful
I've had these speakers a few days now, and I'm still being wowed by their clarity and overall smoothness. Going back over my CD catalog, I keep hearing musical overtones that I've never noticed before. My previous speakers seemed to be lacking clarity, particularly with vocals; these speakers sounded bright and spacious right out of the box. Also, the built-in subwoofer amps gives these speakers a depth and tightness to bass material that my old speakers just could not match. I am in awe of their sound.
Pros: Tower design; open, spacious sound; deep bass with controller
Cons: Slightly pricey
2 of 2 found this helpful
First it was a pleasure working with my advisor Kevin. The speakers arrived as promised, well packaged and undamaged. The included manual was easy to understand and the installation went quickly with no problems. Overall the speakers sound great, music is clean and crisp at all levels and movies sound great as well. Definitive Technology has hit the mark with the Mythos line; good looking well built and awesome sound. Strongly recommend both these speakers and Crutchfield.
Pros: Beautiful design, not your typical boxy speaker. High grade aluminum construction, high gloss black finish. Great sound reproduction.
Cons: High gloss aluminum cabinet does seem to attract dust, and I hate cleaning :)
2 of 2 found this helpful
Loving these speakers. There is just simply not to love about them. Previously with my B&Ws they just werent hitting the highs enough to really emphasize the speech and therefore some muddy vocals were coming through and movies were sometimes difficult to get all the dialogue. And then along comes Mary (as the Association once said). The Mythos just shine whether its simply adding a stellar bass to the sound with there built in subwoofers or just sitting beautifully in the room blissfully making my film surround sound just reeking with brilliance. They are amazing on every level and I have yet to hear even the slightest bit of distortion. I cannot recommend them enough.
Pros: My entire review is a pro. But the sound Dorothy the sound!!!
Cons: cant think of one.
8 of 10 found this helpful
I will start off with saying I have owned these speakers for about two years, very happy with the overall quality. Made the step up from Klipsch Reference Speakers. I took some time for my ears to adjust to these gems from the monstrous bass and explosiveness the Klipsch line offered, they are still a guilty pleasure. Anyways, the bass is great and tight, highs clean and non fatiguing. Very detailed mid's and would recommend to anyone with a "medium" to "slightly" large room. They speakers seem to play nice with the many receivers I own. Currently run with NAD C 356BEE. When auditioned everyone I know is blown away!! Recommend these speakers and the amp.
Pros: Amazing reproduction of live music from top to bottom, especially surprised with the performance from the midrange drivers considering their size.
Cons: The price..
10 of 11 found this helpful
Pros: Like being at the movies.
1 of 8 found this helpful
Ease to install and excellent match with receiver. Needs a a few hours (more than 10 hrs.) of "breaking" to reach a peak sound. Still pending to see if an extra sub will be needed.
Pros: Excellent sound, very nice esthetically - easy to match different decoration.
Cons: Possibly, more sub sound will be needed, but I expected this.
4 of 6 found this helpful
Beautiful design, clean rich sound, one of the top 10 Greatest audiophile speakers; under $3,500; CNET 2009. Boxed well. beatiful black granet base. I layed the speakers across the coach arms so I could assemble the stone bases, They come with specialize feet for hard wood or carpet. The blend well into my room only the sound being the center of focus.
Pros: In the price range this is an excellent quality speaker the sound filles the space with the built in powered subwoofers. You can put them closer to the wall then some othe designs, the look great in the room with out being the visual focus in the room.
Cons: They are actually sold by each so remember to buy two, Just under $3,000 for the pair.
13 of 13 found this helpful
The sound these speakers produce is truly amazing. The built-in subs give it a sound and presence that I haven't heard in similar sized speakers. I shopped at a number of audio shops and listened to a number of speakers, but to me these reproduced music the most faithfully without a hint of strain. Additonally, put in a home theater setup, they can produce startling impact when called for. The combination of musicality and an eagerness to produce all the sounds called for in a home theater setup, make these speakers real winners.
11 of 11 found this helpful
I shopped around for speakers for a full year. I wanted a full range tower and, being a man's man, I wanted a BIG full range tower. I've seen these "lifestyle speakers for a while and always passed them by thinking they were all looks & not much substance. After all, at only about 6" deep, how much bass could they possibly produce? Well, let me tell you... plenty. Not only that, they are extremely well balanced top to bottom. You will have your friends looking under the sofa for the hidden subwoofer in the room. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike vocal presentation. Amazingly dynamic. These speakers are truly unbelievable! I've been a fan of Def Tech since their inception. The BP10 was my introduction to truly balanced, full range sound. But with the Mythos STS speakers, they have truly come up with something special.
17 of 17 found this helpful
I wanted these for over a year, finally pulled the trigger and I can't stop smiling. Bass is rich and deep, amazingly so especially when you see the size of the sub-woofers. I heard these powered by a 50 watt integrated amp and was sold immediately. I own a full Definitive home theater set up but I enjoy just listening to the STS towers on their own. My speakers are still green but I am still impressed by their sound, I can't imagine the level of detail that they are capable of but I am looking forward to finding out. I don't regret a single penny that I spent on these
14 of 14 found this helpful
Went from Bose acoustimass to these, what a huge difference. Well worth the money.
5 of 7 found this helpful
Some audio mfgs. do well with the advertisment of their products only to be sold a mid-level piece of equipment. I was unfamiliar with definitive technolgy until last year when I began outfiting a theatre. Their products are the rule and should be purchased imidately so one does not waste time and money on the standard.
3 of 13 found this helpful
I love the look and I love the sound. I am fully satisfied.
3 of 13 found this helpful
I bought these to replace my Bose Acoustimass system almost a year ago. Much fuller sound than the Bose. Makes my living room more like a theater than it has ever been. I worried my wife would complain about replacing the 'virtually invisible' Bose cubes with these towers. She loves them too.
7 of 10 found this helpful
More details on the Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower®
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||4.5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5 x 10|
|Built-in Powered Sub||Yes|
|Connector Type||5-way post/RCA|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||16-30k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||300|
Overview: The Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower is a tower loudspeaker with a built-in powered subwoofer. The Mythos STS SuperTower design offers a truly full-range loudspeaker that combines the accuracy, imaging, and detail retrieval of a monitor speaker with the depth, dynamics, and bass output a separate powered subwoofer into one visually attractive, small-footprint enclosure. The Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower utilizes a 1-inch pure aluminum dome for extended highs and two 4.5" high-definition cast-magnesium basket midranges for smooth sounding vocals. The Mythos STS SuperTower also features a "racetrack" shaped carbon fiber active driver powered by a built-in 300-watt Class-D amplifier and pressure-coupled to two "racetrack" shaped low-bass radiators equal to the surface area and bass output of a 12-inch woofer but with far greater control, definition and speed; eliminating the need for a separate subwoofer. The STS SuperTower features a and-polished gloss aircraft-grade extruded aluminum enclosure with proprietary damping technologies and polished granite base to ensure total rigidity and stability. The Mythos STS SuperTower has been engineered for music listening and home theater enjoyment.
BDSS Technology: Definitive Technology's Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) driver offers a wide-bandwidth accurate frequency response, broad dispersion, low distortion, and detail retrieval; so you hear more the music with greater accuracy and enjoyment. BDSS drivers incorporate the following design features.
- Balanced Double Surrounds: The speaker's balanced double surrounds support the cone at two points to provide better mechanical stability for longer, more linear excursion, and improved damping to suppress parasitic cone resonance.
- Mineral-Filled Polymer Cone: The loudspeaker features a deeply drawn mineral-filled polymer cone engineered using sophisticated 3D modeling techniques for wide range performance.
- Waveguide: The cone's integrated waveguide smoothes off-axis response for broad, even dispersion and better imaging.
- High Temperature Voice Coil: The driver's high temperature, oversized, lightweight vented voice coil offers improved power handling and quick transient response. The voice coil is also lengthened to increase linearity and lower distortion.
- Magnet Structure: The driver's magnetic system is optimized by finite element analysis to maximize magnetic flux in the gap for high efficiency and linear excursion.
- Die-Cast Alloy Basket: The die-cast alloy basket minimizes ringing and vibration while the open area minimizes back wave reflection.
High Definition Midranges: The Mythos STS SuperTower contains a D'Appolito array consisting of two high-definition 4-1/2 inch drivers surrounding a 1-inch dome tweeter housed in an acoustically isolated sealed enclosure. The drivers feature Definitive's patent-pending Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) technology that supports the speaker cone at both the inner and outer edges for longer, more linear excursion, greater clarity, and finely textured inner detail. The driver baskets are die cast Aluminum.
Pure Aluminum Dome Tweeter: The tweeter is a pure aluminum dome, which has been heat-treated to relax the crystal structure and then coated with a ceramic to produce extended, smooth highs.
Magnetically Shielded: The Mythos STS SuperTower is magnetically shielded for safe placement near your television.
Break-In Period: The Mythos STS SuperTower will sound good right out of the box; however, an extended break-in period of 40-60 hours or more of playing is required to reach full performance capability. The break-in period allows the suspensions to work in and results in full bass, a more open midrange, and smoother high frequency reproduction.
Powered Subwoofer: The 5 x 10-inch "racetrack-shaped" polymer/carbon composite subwoofer is powered by a built-in 300-watt Class D amplifier and pressure-coupled to two 5 x 10-inch "racetrack-shaped" planar low-bass radiators for a total bass radiating area greater than a 12-inch woofer; but with far greater control, definition, and speed. A pair of STS tower loudspeakers is like having two 12", 300-watt powered subwoofers in your room without taking up anymore floor space. The result is bass that is deep, powerful and impactful while at the same time having tight, controlled, and accurate response. The built-in powered subwoofer also provides the following features.
- Auto Turn-On: The Mythos STS's built-in active power subwoofer section must be plugged into an electrical socket using the supplied 10' AC cord. The Mythos STS has a special circuit which automatically turns the powered subwoofer section on when a signal is fed to the loudspeaker and turns off when there is a no signal (for 1-hour).
- LED: An LED on the back-panel will light up when a signal is sensed and the amplifier turns on. The LED will automatically turn-off when there is no signal (for 1-hour).
- Built-In Crossover: Definitive's engineers have
perfectly adjusted the crossover and phase between the subwoofer and main
speaker sections of the Mythos STS SuperTower to achieve seamless blending
and life-like sound.
- Note: Please not that there are no controls to vary the crossover points or phase because these have been factory calibrated and set to provide perfect blending.
- Level Control: The Mythos STS SuperTower has a bass-level control which allows you to tune the output level of the built-in powered subwoofer section to match your room and personal listening preferences.
- Protection Circuit: To prevent accidental damage to the subwoofer built-in the Mythos STS SuperTower from overdriving the system, the built-in powered subwoofer section features an internal overload protection circuit, which will turn the powered subwoofer off or down when overdriven or overheated and will then resume normal operation after a few minutes.
Curved Extruded Aluminum Enclosure: The enclosure is extruded aluminum with internal ribs for stiffening purposes. Strips of damping material are adhered to the inside of the extrusion to suppress ringing. The baffle is "Polystone" a dense and non-resonant mineral-filled polymer material that is slightly oversized and is force-fit into the extrusion "mouth" to prevent the aluminum from ringing. The midrange/tweeter array is isolated from the woofer enclosure by two pieces of MDF. Both woofer and mid/hi enclosures are sealed. The slim, curved shape of the enclosure reduces diffraction contributing to the ST's broad imaging and deep soundstage.
Speaker-Level & Line-Level Connections: The Mythos STS SuperTower is equipped with a pair of gold-plated, 5-way binding posts to attach your receiver's speaker wire and a gold-plated, mono-RCA/LFE input to connect your receiver's LFE/subwoofer output.
Granite Base with Adjustable Feet: The granite base combined with the heavy Toroidal transformer mounted on the bottom plate of the loudspeaker's enclosure provides a low center of gravity for superior stability. The base incorporates 5 adjustable-height metal feet that may be fitted with either smooth furniture glide tips for wood and ceramic floors, or spikes for carpeted floors.
Applications: The precise accuracy, wide-range response, and high impact dynamic range of the Mythos ST allow you to use the speaker in most home audio/video system's ranging from a 2-channel music-only to a 7.1 channel home theater system. When used as a stereo pair, simply connect it with speaker wire as one would any pair of speakers; there is no benefit to using the low-level LFE inputs. When using the ST in a multi-channel system there are two options.
- Connect speaker wire as in a stereo system; set bass management as Front=Large, Subwoofer=None
- In addition to speaker wires connect low-level cables from the LFE/Subwoofer output of the receiver/processor to the LFE inputs of the ST (Y connector is usually required). Set bass management as Front=Large, Subwoofer=Yes. The benefit of this hook up method is that one now has the ability to control the level of the LFE channel relative to Front L&R bass.
Placement: The Mythos STS SuperTower loudspeaker can be used as a Main or Surround speaker.
- Fronts: When used as a front main speaker, you should create an equilateral triangle between the speakers and your listening area. The speakers should be angled toward the center of the listening position for brighter, clear, sound with a sharper focus and a more solid central image. Pointing the speakers straight forward, parallel with each other , will result in a warmer less sharply focused sound. To get the best possible imaging and most even tonal response, avoid placing the speakers less than 3-feet (1-Meter) from your room's walls.
- Surrounds: When used as rear or surround speaker, the Mythos ST may be located on the side or behind the listeners. When used on the sides, take care never to locate the speakers forward of the listeners. When the side/rear speakers are close to the listening position, do no aim the speakers directly at the listeners.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked