About the Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800
Compact, versatile speaker for tight spaces
Compact, versatile speaker for tight spaces
Build your own compact high-performance home theater system around Definitive's ProMonitor 800. This versatile, easy-to-place speaker delivers spacious imaging and smooth sonic response — perfect for thrilling home theater sound. The sound will surprise you, but it shouldn't — the ProMonitor 800 uses many of the same technologies as Definitive's larger, more expensive speakers.
You can place the ProMonitor 800 on a shelf using the included tri-lobed base, or mount it on your wall using the rear-panel keyhole slot for out-of-the-way placement.
High-tech driver design for warm, rich sound
The 4-1/2" woofer gets a big performance boost from the mid/bass radiator mounted in the top of the cabinet (see more photos). This clever design doubles the lower-midrange radiating area without increasing the size of the enclosure, and helps provide rich, lifelike sound. A 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter produces extended highs that reveal nuance and subtle detail without a trace of edginess.
Options for stereo or home theater sound
Use a pair of these speakers with any Definitive Technology powered subwoofer for full-range stereo sound. This speaker is voice-matched with Definitive's complete ProCinema series, and can be paired with any ProCinema center channel speaker. To create a high-performance ProCinema 800 system, combine four ProMonitor 800 satellites with Definitive's ProCenter 1000 and ProSub 800.
Did you know?
Your new speakers will probably sound better after several weeks of use than they do right out of the box. That's because the material surrounding the woofers will loosen up, allowing the drivers to move more fully. Definitive Technology estimates a break-in period of 24 to 48 hours of playback before the speakers will deliver optimum sound quality. For more information and helpful tips, check out this article from Definitive's website about conditioning your speakers.
- frequency response 57-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity 89 dB
- 8-ohm impedance
- handles up to 150 watts
- Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) technology places rubber surrounds on both the outer and inner edges of each speaker cone for more precise motion resulting in exceptional clarity
- 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter
- 4-1/2" BDSS bass/midrange driver pressure-coupled to a 4-1/2" bass radiator
- non-resonant PolyStone cabinet
- magnetically shielded for safe placement next to older tube TVs
- 5-way binding posts
- gloss black finish
- keyhole slots and tripod base included
- 4-13/16"W x 8-3/8"H x 5-1/16"D
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NDHA
What's in the box:
- Black satellite speaker
- Removable cloth grille (installed)
- Removable pedestal foot (installed)
- Plastic insert tab
- Owner's Manual
- Online Product Registration card
More details on the Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (inches)||4.5|
|Frequency Response||57-30k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-Way post|
|Bracket Included||Fixed keyhole mount|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||28-31|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Overview: The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 loudspeaker utilizes state-of-the-art components (BDSS driver coupled with a pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiator, a pure aluminum dome tweeter, a uniphase crossover network, and a non-resonant PolyStone cabinet with low diffraction construction) in order to achieve the most lifelike sound possible in your listening room. The ProMonitor 800 loudspeaker may be used in a 2.0-channel system as a full-range driver, in a 2.1-channel system as a satellite speaker with a powered subwoofer, or as a satellite speaker in a home theater system.
Pressure Coupled Radiator Design: The ProMonitor satellite provides clear, high-definition sound by pressure-coupling Definitive's exclusive BDSS technology driver to an equal-sized mid/bass radiator cleverly placed on the top of the satellite. This technique doubles the lower-midrange radiating area of the speaker without increasing the size of the enclosure. The result is a warm and life-like sound.
BDSS Technology: Definitive Technology's Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) driver offers a wide-bandwidth accurate frequency response, broad dispersion, low distortion, and detail retrieval; so you hear more the music with greater accuracy and enjoyment. BDSS drivers incorporate the following design features.
- Balanced Double Surrounds: The speaker's balanced double surrounds support the cone at two points to provide better mechanical stability for longer, more linear excursion, and improved damping to suppress parasitic cone resonance.
- Mineral-Filled Polymer Cone: The ProMonitor 800 features a deeply drawn mineral-filled polymer cone engineered using sophisticated 3D modeling techniques for wide range performance.
- Waveguide: The cone's integrated waveguide smoothes off-axis response for broad, even dispersion and better imaging.
- High Temperature Voice Coil: The driver's high temperature, oversized, lightweight vented voice coil offers improved power handling and quick transient response. The voice coil is also lengthened to increase linearity and lower distortion.
- Magnet Structure: The driver's magnetic system is optimized by finite element analysis to maximize magnetic flux in the gap for high efficiency and linear excursion.
- Die-Cast Alloy Basket: The die-cast alloy basket minimizes ringing and vibration while the open area minimizes back wave reflection.
Drivers: The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 features a 4-1/2" BDSS driver coupled to a 4-1/2" pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiator, and a 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter.
Break-In Period: The ProMonitor 800 loudspeakers will sound good right out of the box; however, an extended break-in period of 20-40 hours or more of playing is required to reach full performance capability. The break-in period allows the suspensions to work in and results in full bass, a more open midrange, and smoother high frequency reproduction.
Non-Resonant PolyStone Cabinet: The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 uses a non-resonant PolyStone cabinet with low diffraction construction. The speaker cabinet is available in a high-gloss black or white finish. The speaker's cabinet features a removable cloth grille.
Binding Posts: The ProMonitor 800 is equipped with a pair of gold-plated, 5-way binding posts to attach your receiver's speaker wire.
Mounting: The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 loudspeakers may be placed on a stand or shelf, or mounted on the wall or ceiling. The ProMonitor 800 features a pedestal foot which allows it to fit securely and safely on a stand or shelf. The attached pedestal foot can be removed to mount the speaker to Definitive Technology's matching speaker stand (ProStand, sold separately) or to wall-mount the speaker. The ProMonitor 800 can be wall-mounted using the rear-panel keyhole slot. In addition, there is a 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the back of the speaker so you can use Definitive Technology's optional mounting bracket (ProMount 80, sold separately), or other manufacture bracket (sold separately) to hang the speaker on a wall or ceiling.
Note: There is a insert plug included which covers the hole in the bottom of the speaker which you will see after you remove the pedestal foot when wall-mounting the speaker.
Placement: When used as front speakers, the ProMonitor 800s should usually be placed 6 to 8 feet apart and kept away from the side walls and corners. When used as rear speakers, take care never to locate the speakers forward of the listeners. The ProMonitor 800s may be angled in towards the listening position or left parallel with the rear wall according to your personal listening taste. Normally, angling the speakers in so that they point directly at the listeners will result in more detail and greater clarity.
5 questions already asked