About the NAD C 558
A sophisticated turntable for vinyl lovers
A sophisticated turntable for vinyl lovers
NAD has a reputation for precision engineering that makes music sound amazing, so I was excited to see the C 558 turntable show up in our warehouse. It's built on a solid MDF base with rubber feet to minimize vibration. The 9" aluminum tonearm features a pre-mounted Ortofon OM10 cartridge that brings beautiful music out of every record groove. This turntable is a beauty that will look — and sound — amazing in any vinyl lover's listening room.
While I was researching the C 558, preparing to write this page, a company rep explained the C 558's design in a way that stuck with me: "The specific combination of a glass platter, felt mat, MDF base and aluminum tonearm combined with the particular rubber in the feet all interact in a way that extracts maximal energy from the LP groove," he wrote in an email. In short, these specific materials were chosen because they work well together.
We love that kind of fanatical attention to detail, and we think your ears will love it, too.
- heavy glass platter with felt mat provides excellent speed stability
- high-precision stainless steel and bronze bearing assembly for smooth, quiet platter rotation
- 9" high grade aluminum tonearm
- includes pre-mounted Ortofon OM10 moving magnet cartridge
- isolated DC synchronous motor for reduced vibration and superior speed stability
- medium density fiberboard (MDF) base with adjustable vibration-damping feet
- gold-plated RCA audio jacks with detachable phono cables
- high-gloss black lacquer finish
- fully manual operation
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds (manual speed change)
- speed variation: ±0.5%
- wow and flutter: ±0.15%
- frequency response (with included cartridge): 20-22,000 Hz (±3dB)
- requires a phono preamp or phono input on receiver or preamplifier
- 17-1/8"W x 4-11/16"H (with dust cover down) x 14-3/8"D
- weight: 17.6 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # C558
What's in the box:
- Turntable chassis
- Tone-Arm (installed)
- Cartridge (installed)
- Sub-platter (installed)
- AC power adapter (attached 4' DC cord)
- 3 AC plug inserts (US/UK/EU)
- Dust cover
- Felt pad
- 45RPM adapter
- 47" Stereo RCA cable with ground lead
- Stylus pressure gauge
- Plastic tonearm bearings tool
- Paper cartridge alignment tool
- 2 Allen keys
- Pair of white cotton gloves
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
More details on the NAD C 558
Belt Driven w/ Precision AC Motor: The NAD C 558's motor is isolated from noise and voltage fluctuations that occur in the unfiltered AC mains that can cause instability in the motor. The motor uses a specially developed rubber belt that is flat ground for precision and drives a non-resonant sub platter that is precisely machined for smooth rotation and sits in a brass bearing with a hardened steel shaft. The belt can be moved to either the 33 or 45 rpm wheel of the drive pulley to attain the correct speed.
9" Tonearm w/ Ortofon OM10 Phono (MM) Cartridge: The NAD C 558 turntable is pre-fitted with an Ortofon OM10 phono (MM) cartridge in a 9" tonearm that offers vertical tracking angle and azimuth adjustment. At 9" long it offers low tracking distortion while maintaining rigidity and low mass required to stabilize the cartridge. By allowing VTF and Azimuth adjustment you get precise tracking with low distortion and record wear.
Non-Resonant Construction: The NAD C 558's features a non-resonant sub platter and 10mm glass platter with a felt pad. The turntable's plinth is solid MDF, not particle board or plastic, and is CNC machined for precision. The removable dust cover is made from a non-resonant Perspex with a counter-sprung hinge design that allows the cover to remain in almost any intermediate position from open to closed. Integrated rubber feet isolate any unwanted external vibration.
Isolated AC Power Supply with Universal Voltage: The NAD C 558 employs a sophisticated power supply that transforms the AC alternating voltage of your wall socket into a pure DC voltage. The DC voltage is then regenerated into a precise AC voltage that powers a precision clock motor to achieve nearly perfect speed consistency and smoothness.
Stereo RCA Outputs: The NAD C 558 is outfitted with stereo RCA output jacks and ground terminal. A 47" stereo RCA cable with ground lead is included. Make sure the turntable is connected to the Phono (MM) input of your receiver or integrated amplifier. If your receiver or integrated amp is not equipped with a Phono (MM) input, you will need to purchase an external phono-preamplifier (such as the NAD's phono-preamps, sold separately).
- Speed: 33-1/3rpm, 45rpm
- Speed Variance: 33-1/3rpm (< +/- 0.50%), 45rpm (< +/- 0.45%)
- Wow & Flutter: < +/- 0.15%
- Signal to Noise: 68dB
- Downforce Range: 0-30mN, 0-3.0g
- Counterweight System: 5-12g
- Length: 9" (230mm)
- Effective Mass: 9.5 grams
- Overhang: 18mm
- Frequency Range: 20 to 22,000Hz
- Channel Separation: 22dB / 1kHz
- Output Voltage: 4mV
- Recommend Load Impedance: 47k Ohms (MM-input)
- Compliance/Stylus Type: 20um/mN - elliptical
- Recommended Tracking Force: 15mN
- Weight: 5g
- Dust Cover Down: 17.125" (w) x 4.6875" (h) x 14.375" (d)
- Dust Cover Up: 17.125" (w) x 14.625" (h) x 16.25" (d)
- Weight: 17.6 lbs
The NAD C 558 replaces these items
- low-vibration belt-drive design
- handmade aluminum alloy tonearm for superior rigidity and low resonance
- pre-mounted Audio-Technica AT91BL moving magnet cartridge
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked