About the Bluesound Powernode 2i
Wireless music through your favorite speakers
Wireless music through your favorite speakers
Do you take the sound quality of your digital music seriously? So does Bluesound. Their wireless multi-room audio system accurately reproduces high-resolution files to deliver finely detailed, accurate sound. The PowerNode 2i can power a pair of high-performance stereo speakers. It connects wirelessly to your router and to Bluesound speakers and players in other rooms. Dual-band Wi-Fi ensures a stable wireless connection for uninterrupted music.
Ready for your high-performance speakers
The Bluesound PowerNode 2i has a high-performance stereo amplifier built in. With 120 watts of total system power, it can even drive demanding floor-standing speakers. An advanced 32-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter (DAC) and blazing-fast processor ensure that your high-resolution digital files and other music will sound clear and richly textured.
HybridDigital™ Amplifier technology reduces noise and distortion
Bluesound's HybridDigital Amplifier features a 32-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter (DAC) coupled with 1GHz ARM multi-core processor for highly detailed and blazing fast signal processing. Your high-resolution digital files will sound clear and richly textured.
Compatible with AirPlay 2*
Built-in Apple AirPlay 2 technology lets you stream audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer through your Bluesound system. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix movies.
And if you subscribe to Apple Music®, you can do even more. Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV 4K to control Apple Music with voice commands. Tell it what selection or playlist to play — and which Bluesound speakers or components you want it to play through.
*Firmware update required.
High-quality two-way Bluetooth streaming
The PowerNode 2i features aptX® HD Bluetooth streaming for higher-fidelity sound with compatible Bluetooth devices. The system is backward-compatible with earlier forms of Bluetooth, too. You can even share that Bluetooth source with other Bluesound music players around your house that are connected to your network. And for convenient late-night listening, you can also stream wirelessly from the PowerNode2i to a paired set of wireless headphones.
A universe of music options
Bluesound is compatible with virtually all digital music formats — including high-resolution files up to 24-bit/192kHz. Access the music stored on your computer or a networked hard drive. Stream from internet radio stations and online services like Spotify®, Deezer, and TIDAL (including their high-res MQA service tier). You can also enjoy downloads from high-res music sites such as HDtracks.
A USB input conveniently lets you play files "locally" from a flash drive or hard drive — ideal when friends come over with their own music.
Control it all with an app
The BlueOS controller app is a free download for both Apple® and Android™ devices. Select songs from your smartphone or tablet. The app displays all of your music services, internet radio stations, and digital music libraries stored on your computer or server. Play music in one room, all rooms, or different tracks in different spaces around your home through BluOS-compatible speakers and players.
- built-in stereo amplifier rated at 120 watts total (60W x 2) into 8 ohms
- HybridDigital™ amplifier renders digital music sources with ultra-fine detail, even at extreme high and low volumes
- communicates with other Bluesound players via your home network (wired or wireless)
- plays MP3, AAC, WMA, WMA-L, OGG, FLAC, MQA, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files
- supported sample rates: 32kHz to 192kHz
- supported bit depths 16-24
- works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
BluOS Controller app:
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- set up and customize your BluOS speakers and players
- control multi-room playback with two or more Bluesound speakers or components
- select Bluetooth as an input, then redistribute the stream to other rooms via Wi-Fi
- access music stored on smartphone, tablet, computer or network drive
- stream from-compatible services such as Spotify Premium, TIDAL, Amazon Music, TuneIn, and Deezer (subscriptions may be required)
- Bluetooth wireless audio streaming with aptX support for better sound with compatible devices
- Bluetooth streaming to paired headphones or speakers
- Apple AirPlay® 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- firmware update required
- top-mounted controls for volume and muting
- binding post speaker terminals
- USB Type-A port for connecting a flash drive with music files
- combination mini-optical/stereo minijack audio input
- headphone stereo minijack
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- built-in dual band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz and 5GHz)
- Ethernet port (Ethernet cable included)
- detachable AC power cord
- 8-5/8"W x 2-3/4"H x 7-3/4"D
- weight: 3.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PowerNode2iblack
What's in the box:
- Network integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 58" Ethernet cable
- 2 Optical-to-3.5mm adapters
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty Information
- License Agreement
- Spotify brochure
Bluesound Powernode 2i reviews
I bout this unit for my Bedroom based on the review from whathifi. My primary source for music is Hi-Res streaming from Tidal & Qobuz using Roon. I was upgrading from a SMSL Q5 pro ($85) + Chromecast Audio ($30). Not much of an improvement from my old set up. Almost sounds identical. I also recently purchased a NAD C 368 integrated amp for my main listening system. When I hooked up the Powernode 2i into my main system it could not compete with the NAD. I was only comparing digital sources (streaming, CD's, and optical input from TV/Blue ray player). The Powernode lacked in low end, dynamics, and imaging. I am not sure if it is due to a difference in the DAC's, the built in amplifiers, or a combination of both. If you have the space and some extra cash, I would recommend the NAD C 368 plus the BluOS Module over the Powernode. For $685 dollars less, my old set up sounded almost the same.The SMSL Q5 pro is an amazing value.
Pros: small size, looks, and ease of use. Works as advertised.
Cons: Lack of low end control. Lack of dynamics. Would like a few more inputs.
0 of 1 found this helpful
What can I say other than I consider the Bluesound Powernode 2i a marvelous device. I have it paired with a set of Bowers and Wilkins 707 S2 bookshelf speakers which are not the most efficient at 84db sensitivity and a small Deftech supercube subwoofer for the moment. The Powernode 2i has no problem driving them to volume levels that are uncomfortable. I cannot turn it all the way up so this is definitely impressive to me. Detail and clarity are present and not compromised even at very high volume. Unlocking the ability to play tidal MQA albums is eye opening. Everything not only MQA sounds fantastic with lots of detail and texture. Paired with a good set of speakers the sound quality is eye opening. At this price I feel that I have discovered sound quality that I would have to spend quite a bit more to duplicate or surpass. The Bluesound App is easy to use and provides Smooth control over playback options as well as fine tuning your Ayers settings. The Apple Airplay 2 compatibility is flawless as well and sounds great. I hope this helps anyone on the fence. Here is a helpful read that enticed me to try the Powernode 2i out: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bluesound-powernode-2i
3 of 3 found this helpful
More details on the Bluesound Powernode 2i
PowerNode 2i: The Bluesound PowerNode 2i is a two-channel integrated amplifier with wireless network and multiroom audio capability. The PowerNode 2i utilizes sate-of-the-art, audiophile-grade HybridDigital amplification and DAC technologies from NAD Electronics to bring dynamic power and high-current delivery to your high-resolution music experience, resulting in the ability to play louder than ever before, with zero-distortion precision audio performance.
- HybridDigital Amplifier: The built-in HybridDigital amplifier is rated at 60 watts x 2 channels (into 8Ω with 0.06% THD and 110dB signal-to-noise ratio) for rich, clear, and distortion free sound at any volume.
- 32-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Bluesound Node 2 employs a 32-bit/192kHz DAC (digital-to-analog converter) to ensure that your lossless high-res music playback is flawless, with precision and clarity.
Note: The Bluesound D30 2.1 Sub/Sat System (sold separately) makes the perfect companion for the PowerNode 2i.
BluOS Wireless High-Resolution Multiroom Audio: The Bluesound PowerNode 2i is part of the BluOS wireless high-resolution multiroom audio eco-system - consisting of powered speakers, soundbar speakers, amplifiers, players, and hard-drives. The BluOS wireless high-resolution multiroom audio ecosystem uses your home's wired or wireless network to connect multiple Bluesound products and play your music in perfect sync, or different music simultaneously, anywhere in your home. Using advanced technologies (like dual-band WiFi and an ARM Cortex9 1GHz Processor), BluOS can wirelessly transmit lossless music up to 24-bit/192kHz at ultra-fast speeds with no lag and zero loss in sound quality.
- Compatible Multiroom Audio Sources: The following audio sources can be used for multiroom audio playback - internet radio (including TuneIn & iHeart Radio); online music services (including Tidal, Spotify, Amazon, Deezer, Slacker, and Napster); Bluetooth & USB audio, music libraries (from computers and NAS drives); and Aux inputs (analog or digital).
- Number of BluOS Zones: Up to 16 Bluesound devices can be connected in a strictly wireless environment. Demonstrated practice has shown that you can create up to 8 groups of 8 Bluesound devices or 4 groups of 16 Bluesound devices. If you want to connect more than 16 Bluesound devices, you will need to connect the Bluesound devices to your network using a wired connection. BluOS can then control up to 64 devices in a strictly wired environment.
Note: Gen 2i of Bluesound is compatible with earlier generations of Bluesound products.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Bluesound PowerNode 2i can be connected to your home network and Internet provider via a hardwired Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 jack connector or wireless 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi 802.11 b/g/n/ac connection. The 5GHz WiFi band offers a more faster and reliable connection with less interruptions and dropouts. Either network/internet connection allows you to stream music libraries from your Windows or Mac computer and NAS drive (such as the Bluesound Vault 2i, sold separately); as well as stream select online music services and internet radio.
- Wired Ethernet Setup: A wired connection to the network is simple and requires no setup. If you wish to use the wired connection, simply connect the PowerNode 2i directly to your router or home network using an Ethernet cable (sold separately).
- Wireless WiFi Setup: A wireless connection allows you to place your BluOS Player virtually anywhere inside your home, but does require setup through the BluOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device. If you are on a Windows PC (7/8/10) or Apple Mac, you'll use Bluesound's web browser based application. You'll be walked you through the set-up process step-by-step.
Note: A wireless network connection will always be required for the BluOS Controller App.
High Resolution Audio: High-resolution audio tracks are either 24-bit/96kHz or 24-bit/192kHz, and contain up to 6.5x more data than standard CDs, letting you hear all the detail of your favorite music in superior quality. With full support for hi-res audio, you can stream WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WMA-Lossless, MQA music files over your home's WiFi network or directly from a connected USB mass storage class device. The Bluesound system also supports compressed music files such as MP3, AAC, WMA and OGG. Bluesound has been designed to work with today's larger music collections, and has indexed libraries up to 200,000 songs in demonstrated practice (this will depend on the music's metadata & artwork). Bluesound also offers gapless playback by default for all supported file music types.
|Compression||File Type||Sampling Frequency||Bit Rate or Bit Depth|
|Lossless||WMA-Lossless||up to 96 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|FLAC||192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|Uncompressed||AIFF||up 192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
Notes: Bluesound cannot index or play AAC files with the extension ".m4p". These files were purchased in iTunes prior to 2009 and are subject to copy protection. Apple Consumers with an iTunes Match subscription can delete and re-download these files free of charge from their iTunes Cloud
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated): Bluesound is the first wireless multiroom audio system to support MQA (Master Quality Authenticated). MQA is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to stream or download. Bluesound worked closely with MQA to implement technology inside each Bluesound component to ensure the listener will hear MQA encoded music and streams exactly like the source and the way the artist intended you to hear it when it was approved in the studio.
Outputs: The Bluesound PowerNode 2i features a set of speaker output terminals for connecting a pair of speakers, a mono-sub out for adding a powered sub, and a headphone jack for private listening.
- Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The Bluesound PowerNode 2i is equipped with four binding post speaker terminals to connect a pair of loudspeakers. The terminals will accept single or dual banana plug connectors, or bare wire. The plastic terminal caps must first be removed in order to use banana plugs.
- Sub Output: The PowerNode 2i also features a mono-RCA subwoofer output for adding a powered sub. The sub output is full-range; you will need to use the low-pass crossover in your powered sub.
- Headphone Output: A 3.5mm headphone jack is located on the front of the PowerNode 2i for private listening with a set of headphones. The PowerNode 2i's output will be muted when headphones are connected.
Optional Wireless Powered Sub: Using Bluesound's RT100 wireless adapter (sold separately), you can add the Bluesound Pulse Sub (sold separately) wirelessly to the PowerNode 2i integrated amplifier for bigger bass response. A minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) will be required to make connection.
AC Power: The Bluesound PowerNode 2i operates off of standard household current using it's internal power supply and the supplied 6.5' detachable AC power cord.
Mounting Options: The Bluesound PowerNode 2i can simply rest on a table-top, shelf, stand, or other piece of furniture.
Firmware Updates: Firmware and software updates from Bluesound are delivered to the PowerNode 2i via your home network's Internet connection and the BluOS Controller app.
Online Music Services: Many popular music streaming services and internet radio apps are built right into BluOS, giving you an all-access pass to millions of songs and the freedom to listen to everything you want to hear. Using the BluOS Controller app, you can instantly discover and enjoy millions of songs from your existing music services, tune in to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts from around the world, or access and listen to the music collections stored on your smartphone, tablet or laptop on any and Bluesound in your home. Subscription and purchase fees will apply to online music services.
- Amazon Prime: With a Amazon Prime Music subscription, you can access over 2 million songs ad-free and on-demand, as well as curated playlists and personalized stations. Upgrade to an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription to access tens of millions of songs.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the Bluesound system using Spotify Connect. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- TIDAL: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality
- TuneIn: The Bluesound system includes access to more than 70,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn internet radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 70,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- iHeart Radio: iHeart Radio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Slacker: Get the sound quality that you deserve with the new Slacker music library available in high-quality AAC audio on Bluesound. Listen to music streams at a bitrate of 320kbps and enjoy all your favorite Slacker stations in pristine MP3-quality.
- Deezer: Deezer lets you explore over 53 million tracks (and counting), and discover artists and tracks you'll love with personalized recommendations from the Deezer Editors. Bluesound even supports Deezer HiFi for lossless quality ($19.99 per month).
- Other Services: Other online music services include Qobuz, HighResAudio, Murfie, JUKE, KKBox, SoundMachine, and more.
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
Computer Audio: The BluOS wireless multiroom audio system by Bluesound lets you easily connect and share your music collection from a computer or network-attached storage drive and access up to 200,000 tracks for wireless streaming. The BluOS wireless music system will pull music from an existing digital music library across the network on your Windows PC, Mac computer, or NAS drive using Windows or SMB File Sharing (SAMBA) and the BluOS Controller app for Windows (XP-up) & Mac (OS X 10.7-up). However, File Sharing is not enabled by default on Windows or Mac. You will have to manually alter these settings in your computer's menu system.
AirPlay 2 (via Future Firmware Update): The PowerNode 2i will support AirPlay 2 through a future firmware update later this year. With AirPlay 2, you'll be able to stream just about any sound (including music, books, podcasts and more) from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to the Bluesound system - all in sync. You can even watch movies and videos from Netlfix or YouTube on your Apple device while streaming the audio through to the Bluesound system. AirPlay 2 also gives you more options for control, including using Siri voice assistance. If you are an Apple Music subscriber and add the PowerNode 2i to the Apple Home App on your iPhone or iPad, you can use your iOS device or HomePod to say things like - "Hey Siri, play jazz in the Living Room" or "Hey Siri, turn up the volume in the Kitchen." You can even group Gen 2i Bluesound products with older Bluesound products in the BluOS App to add AirPlay 2 compatibility to your entire BluOS system.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Bluesound PowerNode 2i offers built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with two-way wireless communication and support for aptX HD. You'll be able to wirelessly stream high-quality audio from your smartphone, tablet, or computer to the PowerNode 2i. You'll also be able to use the PowerNode 2i as a source and wirelessly stream its audio content to a set of Bluetooth headphones (sold separately).
- aptX HD: The advanced Qualcomm CSR8675 chip used in the PowerNode 2i supports aptX HD Bluetooth wireless audio. aptX HD is an enhanced codec that supports 24-bit audio over Bluetooth and has been engineered to improve the signal-to-noise ratio, resulting in lower background noise. With the ability to support streams up to 24bit/48kHz, you're able to wirelessly stream from an aptX HD compatible device to the PowerNode 2i without sacrificing sound quality and listen to "better-than-CD" quality audio.
- Two-Way Communication: The PowerNode 2i offers two-way Bluetooth, featuring both Receive and Transmit functionality. Receive capability allows you to wirelessly stream from your device to the PowerNode 2i. The Transmit capability means you can also use the Pulse Mini 2i as a source and what your are listening to via Bluetooth to a pair of wireless Bluetooth headphones (sold separately).
Note: The PowerNode 2i can be paired and connected via Bluetooth without utilizing a network connection or the BluOS Controll app.
USB Port: The Bluesound PowerNode 2i features a USB (type-A) port to directly connect your USB mass storage class (MSC) device; such as a thumbdrive or external HDD. USB hard disk drives that require more than 0.5A of power will require a separate power supply. The unit's USB port supports music playback from these compatible USB devices formatted in FAT 32 or NTFS. Not only can USB audio be played back on the PowerNode 2i, but can also be wirelessly distributed to the rest of your Bluesound components throughout your home for multiroom playback.
Note: The USB port is not compatible with the direct connection of an Apple iOS or Android device.
Dual Optical/Analog Inputs: The PowerNode 2i is fitted with two 3.5mm Aux inputs which can be used as analog or digital connections. As an analog input, simply connect a stereo minijack audio cable from your analog source to the PowerNode 2i's Aux input. As a digital input, use the included 3.5mm-to-Optical adapter along with an optical digital cable (sold separately) to connect your digital source to the PowerNode 2i's Aux input. As an analog or digital input, the unit's Aux input supports 2ch PCM audio (not Dolby Digital or DTS). Audio from the Optical/Analog Aux inputs can be played back at the PowerNode 2i and wirelessly distributed to other Bluesound components in your home for multiroom playback.
BluOS Controller App: The free BluOS Controller app (for Apple iOS 9.3-up, Android OS 4.1-up, Windows PC (XP-up), and Mac OS X 10.7-up) turns your mobile device or computer into a full-featured wireless remote control for the PowerNode 2i and the BluOS wireless multiroom audio system. The BluOS Controller app on your compatible device uses your home's WiFi network to connect with Bluesound devices, so you can play all the music you love anywhere in your home for a wireless multiroom music experience. Get on-demand access to your music libraries on your home network, stream live Internet radio from almost any place in the world, or listen to one of the many music services available on Bluesound, all from the palm of your hand with the easy-to-use BluOS Controller app.
- Multiroom Audio: Play a different song at the same time in different rooms, or group all your BluOS enabled devices together and listen to your favorite music in perfect sync throughout your home.
- Now Playing Screen: Control your music and adjust the volume in any room, get rich album artwork and detailed artist info, right from the Now Playing screen. Even check what quality you are streaming at to ensure the best possible listening experience.
- Individual Songs & Playlists: Tap a song and have it play instantly, or create and edit playlists on the fly by simply adding songs or entire albums to the play queue. Playlists can then be saved inside the app and listened to at any time.
Alexa Compatible: The PowerNode 2i will support Amazon Alexa and voice control through an over-the-network firmware update (now available). Using an Amazon Alexa enabled device (sold separately), you can use your voice to explore music services, select presets, adjust volume levels, switch up songs in different rooms, or even group your Bluesound components together and play your music in perfect sync throughout the house. Each Alexa voice command will need to start with the phrase "Alexa, ask Blue Voice to" or "Alexa, Tell Blue Voice to". Alexa Skills for BluOS will need to be setup through the Amazon Alexa app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Note: Click here for more information regarding Alexa setup and voice commands.
Soft-Touch Controls: The PowerNode 2i offers soft-touch, top-panel controls to operate basic playback functions like Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track.
IR Input: An infrared extender (sold separately) can be connected the PowerNodes 2i's IR input (3.5mm) to allow for programmable learning remotes to control volume and source selection when the PowerNode 2i is stored in a way that the front-panel IR sensor is not visible.
Custom Integration: Bluesound offers seamless integration with some of today's most innovative 3rd-party smart-home control systems such as Control4, Crestron, Lutron, ELAN, RTI, and more.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked