In-wall surge suppressor
Our take on the Panamax MIW-SURGE by Crutchfield's Loren Barstow
Protect your wall-mounted flat-panel TV by replacing your standard AC outlet with the Panamax MIW-SURGE in-wall surge suppressor. It features one surge-protected AC outlet, plus an opening that lets you hide audio and video cables in the wall for a clean installation. The MIW-SURGE includes various inserts for the cable opening, such as a pass-through adapter with a rubber grommet, and a Decora® adapter that accommodates up to a six-port plate (not included).
Note: Installation by a licensed electrician is recommended.
- 1 surge-protected AC outlet and an opening for in-wall cables
- ultra-thin profile lets equipment hang less than one inch from the wall
- 15-amp total current capacity
- UL 1449 rating: 400V
- includes a variety of adapters for the audio/video cable opening:
- Decora® adapter plate
- Keystone 2-port adapter
- rubber grommet
- compatible with optional Panamax MIW signal line modules
- 11-inch flat-plug power adapter cord
- compatible with most standard electrical boxes an electrical box is not included
- CSA-certified for in-home use
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Faceplate/single outlet assembly
- Insert with pass-through adapter
- 10-1/4" Power cord adapter
- Decora trim plate adapter
- Keystone module insert
- 3 Wire nuts
- 2 Pan-head screws (9/16" length)
- 4 Flat-head screws (1/2" length)
- Installation Instructions
- Warranty sheet
- Outlet cutout template
- Caution sheet
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Total AC Outlets||1|
|Powerline Network Compatible||No|
|Connected Equipment Guarantee||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Overview: The MIW-SURGE Max In-Wall Surge Protection System provides safe, protected AC power to flat panel TVs, ceiling-mounted projectors, and powered subwoofers without the bulky power strips or hanging power wires. The plug hides discreetly behind the component for a neat, professional installation.
Design: The MIW-SURGE provides a single, surge-protected AC outlet for your equipment, plus a low-voltage signal bay for connecting or passing through audio and video cables. The port can accommodate optional installation solutions by using the supplied Decora adapter, pass-through insert, or Keystone 2-port adapter. Optional MIW Signal Line Modules (sold separately) can also be used.
AC Power Adapter: The included 11" flat power plug adapter goes between the component's AC plug and the wall outlet so you can install the equipment as close as 1" from the wall.
Note: Because the width of the plug adapter, the MIW-SURGE is not recommended for use with the Samsung TV Ultra Slim Wall Mount (305WMN1000). The wall mount reduces the gap between the TV and the wall to 5/8".
Low Voltage Signal Bay: You can use the low-voltage signal bay to pass through the component's video and audio cables. You can use the MIW Pass-Through insert, which comes installed on the mounting bracket, and cut a hole in the rubber grommet so that it fits tightly around the cable. If you want terminals at the wall plate, you can use the supplied Decora adapter or Keystone module insert, along with the appropriate terminal modules (sold separately). Another option is to use a Panamax MIW signal-line module (sold separately), such as the MIW-5RCA, MIW-DATA, MIW-SVIDEO, or MIW-VGA.
Surge Suppression Specifications: The AC outlet has the following specs:
- Line Voltage: 120V, 50/60Hz
- Protection Modes: L-N, L-G, N-G
- Energy Dissipation: 1350 Joules
- Peak Impulse Current: 60,000A
- Catastrophic Surge Circuit: Yes
- Thermal Fusing: Yes
- Total Current Capacity:
- UL 1449 2nd Ed. Suppressed Voltage Rating: 330V (@500A)
- UL 1449 3rd Ed. Voltage Protection Rating: 400V (@3,000A)
- UL 1449 3rd Ed. Nominal Discharge Current: 5,000A
- Rating @ 500A: 330V
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.