Stereo integrated amplifier
Item # 642PM8005 | MFR # PM8005
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Marantz PM8005 by Crutchfield's David Brown
The sweet sound of stereo
Surround sound can be lots of fun. But when it comes to music, nothing beats the purity of sumptuous stereo sound. The Marantz PM8005 integrated amplifier specializes in delivering music accurately, with lifelike stereo imaging and lots of clean power. The upgraded toroidal power transformer is even more adept than the previous version at handling demanding dynamic peaks in music. Conservatively rated at 70 watts per channel driving 8 ohm loads, this amp is designed to drive even power-hungry 4-ohm speakers to room-filling volumes while confidently handling the ebb and flow of your music's peaks and valleys.
Defeatable tone controls and expandable system options
Dial in your perfect sound using the PM8005's front-panel tone controls for treble, bass, and midrange. Or enable Source Direct mode to bypass these controls for a cleaner sound with an impressively high signal-to-noise ratio. If you like to keep your upgrade options open, there are preamp outputs for connection to an external power amplifier to feed even more juice to your speakers. Or if you'd like to beef up the current supplied to the front speakers of your surround sound setup, you can connect your home theater receiver's main preamp outputs to the stereo direct inputs on the PM8005. This allows you to enjoy enveloping surround sound for movies and TV shows without sacrificing power and tone when listening to stereo music.
Ready for up to six source components
The PM8005 offers six RCA inputs, including a moving magnet phono connection. That gives you plenty of capability to connect numerous sources, from CD players to turntables to network streaming boxes through your external digital-to-analog converter. Build quality is just what you'd expect from Marantz: rock solid, with a triple-layer bottom plate to minimize vibration-induced distortion. It's a sturdy foundation on which to build a glorious stereo playback system to get more enjoyment out of your music.
- 70 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.02% THD
- 100 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz)
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- high-current double-shielded toroidal power transformer for clean playback and smooth handling of demanding speaker loads
- Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module and current feedback amplification for accuracy and control under high-drive conditions
- front-panel tone controls (treble, mid, bass)
- Source Direct mode bypasses tone control circuits for cleaner sound
- 6 stereo RCA audio inputs (including MM phono input)
- stereo Power Amp Direct inputs for use as a power amp with a home theater receiver
- stereo preamp outputs for connection to a separate power amplifier
- stereo RCA audio outputs for recording
- built-in headphone amplifier with full-size (1/4-inch) jack
- connections and front-panel switching for two pairs of speakers
- frequency response 5-100,000 Hz (±3dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 106 dB (line in), 87 dB (phono), 125 dB (Direct in)
- remote control
- detachable power cord
- 17-3/8"W x 5-1/8"H x 15-3/4"D
- weight: 26.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Integrated Amplifier
- 68" AC power cord
- Remote control (RC002PMSA)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Getting Started booklet
- Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Excellent amp. A major improvement over my 15 year old Onkyo multichannel. Recommended.
Brian, Norwalk, CT
Features and Specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||70|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||100|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||106|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||No|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||No|
|Total Analog Inputs||6|
|Optical Digital Inputs||No|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||No|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Marantz HDAM Technology: The PM8005 features Marantz's exclusive HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) technology, which consists of precision discrete selected circuit elements on a compact sub-board, instead of conventional op-amp integrated circuits. Multiple HDAM units are employed, including HDAM-SA3 and HDAM-SA2 versions that provide gain and buffering functions, to deliver dynamic and detailed sound quality. The PM8005 features current feedback technology for ultra low distortion and wideband response, along with superb musicality.
Fully Discrete High Current Output Stages: The PM8005 is equipped with multiple high speed, high current power output devices that are each rated at 14 amps of current output capability, providing a very high amount of dynamic headroom, along with compatibility with lower impedance loudspeakers. For optimum heat dissipation, the PM8005 is equipped with solid aluminum power amplifier heat sinks, with a combined total radiating area of 326 square inches, eliminating the need for fans. The PM8005 is conservatively rated at 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 100 watts per channel into 4 ohms, for compatibility with the widest range of loudspeakers.
High Current Power Supply: The robust power supply features a high current toroidal main power transformer that is rated at 625VA, to easily provide extra power to the amplifier stage in order to handle demanding short term peaks. High current Shottky barrier diodes in the rectification stage are rated at 20 amps, with the ability to handle up to 180 amps peak current, providing sufficient power reserve to handle virtually any loudspeaker load.
- Momentary-Current Supply: The PM8004's main amp has the capability to momentarily pass 25 amps or more, providing high-powered drive to the speakers.
- Short Power Line: To improve the momentary-current supply, the large current line connections are as short as possible, while remaining symmetrical. The individual power supply segments are located on the same heat sinks as the output transistors for quicker response to musical transients.
Solid Construction: For the utmost stability and protection from induced vibrations, the PM8005 features a rugged chassis design, which includes a triple layer bottom plate. To eliminate distortion from stray magnetic fields, the high current toroidal main power transformer features double shielding.
- Chassis Design: The amplifier's chassis uses a triple-layer bottom plate to insure long-term alignment and vibration control. The unit's front panel uses a combination of aluminum and glass-reinforced resin to create a distinctive three dimensional appearance. Indirect reflecting blue LEDs indicate the input selection.
- Double-Shielded Toroidal Transformer: This unit is equipped with a toroidal power transformer to minimize vibration and leakage flux, which affects sound quality. The outside is double-shielded, using a core ring and a short ring.
Versatile Pre-Amplifier Functions: There are six line level inputs, to handle a wide range of sources, including a dedicated phono input (MM) that features discrete topology to deliver the utmost fidelity from your favorite vinyl recordings, and all inputs and outputs are gold-plated for optimum signal transfer. The Source Direct function bypasses unnecessary circuit blocks for the straightest path from input to the speaker terminals. Pre-amp outputs let you connect a separate stereo power amplifier for a bi-amp loudspeaker system, or for playback in a separate room. The Power Amp Direct input lets you connect the PM8005 to another component, such as a surround sound processor, for integration within a multichannel home theater system.
- CD Direct Buffer Amp: An input buffer amplifier exclusive for CD is mounted near the CD input RCA jacks. This is a high-speed buffer amplifier made with discrete components, which avoids interference between right and left channels and can send the signals to the pre-amplifier with very high fidelity.
- All-Discrete Current-Feedback Phono EQ: The PM8005 provides an all-discrete, current-feedback phono equalizer optimized for moving magnet (MM) cartridges.
Tone Controls: For precision tonal balancing, we've equipped the PM8005 with our Tri-Tone control system, with separate tone controls for the bass, midrange and treble bands (Bass: 50Hz ±10dB, Mid: 900Hz ±6dB, Treble: 15kHz ±10dB), which lets you fine tune the spectral balance to your preference, and is especially useful with older recordings that suffer from tonal imbalance.
Audiophile Grade Loudspeaker Terminals: Equipped with premium audiophile grade loudspeaker terminals that are designed to accept a wide range of speaker cable termination types, the PM8005 also features A/B speaker switching for increased system configuration flexibility.
Headphone: A standard 1/4" headphone jack is on the front panel. The speaker outputs are not automatically muted when you plug in headphones so the speakers must be manually turned off.
System Remote Control: The elegant, ergonomically designed remote control is equipped with additional functionality, which lets you control a companion Marantz disc player (such as the SA8005, sold separately) and a Marantz network audio player. Remote control input and output jacks let you directly connect the PM8005 to other Marantz components for easy system control.
Auto Standby: With the Auto Standby Mode turned on this unit will enter standby mode after approximately 30 minutes (continuous) of no output from the speakers or headphones.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.