Definitive Technology W Adapt
Wireless music adapter for home stereos with DTS Play-Fi®
| Watch a first-look video |
Definitive Technology W series wireless system
Definitive Technology Wireless Music System
From Definitive Technology: How to set up W Adapt with Android Device
From Definitive Technology: How to set up W Adapt with iOS Device
Our take on the Definitive Technology W Adapt by Crutchfield's David Brown
The compact Adapt is an easy way to add wirelessl music streaming to any stereo or home theater receiver, or amplifier.
Add streaming music to your stereo or home theater system
Adding wireless music capability to your stereo system doesn't have to mean upgrading your receiver or amplifier. That's what the Definitive Technology W Adapt is for. It connects to your existing stereo, so you can start enjoying tunes from smartphones, computers, and online streaming services on your main system. The fun doesn't have to be limited to your stereo. You can add other speakers to spread the music out to other rooms — either listening to the same song in every one or choosing a different song for each. It's all controlled with an intuitive app for your phone or tablet.
Play loads of music wirelessly with your smartphone or tablet
The Definitive Technology W Adapt offers lots of ways to listen to music. A free app for Apple® and Android™ is your hub for accessing music stored on your smartphone or tablet. You can also stream music from networked computers and music servers. If you're one of the millions of Spotify® Premium subscribers, Spotify Connect lets you access all your favorite albums and playlists. There's built-in support for Pandora® Internet radio and SiriusXM (SiriusXM requires Android device; iOS support coming in 2015). Plus, you can choose from over 37,000 free Internet radio streams, for a nearly endless supply of music and other programming.
Play-Fi® turns every smartphone into its own music system
The key to the Definitive Technology W Adapt's wireless music capability is Play-Fi. Developed by audio innovator DTS, Play-Fi allows you to send the same song to multiple speakers, play a different song in every room, or let each member of the family control speakers independently with their own device. Play-Fi can transmit lossless audio at CD quality to up to 16 speakers or components on your network. Best of all, the Adapt can work with other Play-Fi speakers and components from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers, offering more flexibility than closed systems.
The ins and outs
The W Adapt connects to your amplifier, stereo, or home theater receiver via analog or digital outputs. Since this connection will use up one of the inputs on your amp or receiver, Definitive Technology decided it would be nice to include some additional inputs on Adapt. There are stereo RCA inputs for a CD player or turntable and phono stage, a minijack input for an iPod Classic® or other portable music player, and an optical input for a Blu-ray player or streaming media device. There's also an Ethernet port for a hard-wired network connection as well as a USB port for firmware updates and charging your smartphone.
Easy wireless setup
The sleek, compact W Adapt is simple to set up using your existing Wi-Fi® network. Download the free Definitive Technology app to your Apple or Android device. It will walk you through the quick wireless setup procedure, so you can start enjoying streaming music through your stereo in minutes.
Explore more Definitive Technology W products and build your whole-house music system
W7 - Compact size, great sound, easy wireless music listening with your smartphone or tablet.
W9 - Huge, spacious sound and deep bass make this a formidable wireless speaker.
W Adapt - Add wireless music to your existing stereo.
W Amp - Connect a pair of speakers to this amplified wireless player.
W Studio - This sound bar and subwoofer bring wireless music to your home theater.
- DTS Play-Fi software allows Adapt to communicate with other Definitive Technology W devices, as well as other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Definitive Technology/Play-Fi app for Apple and Android devices offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone or tablet
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- source select, play/pause, and volume buttons
- rack-mountable with included brackets
- AC adapter included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Connections and Dimensions:
- optical digital audio input
- digital audio outputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- stereo RCA inputs/outputs
- 3.5mm AUX input for connecting an iPod or other portable music player
- Ethernet port
- USB port for firmware updates and phone charging
- 8-1/2"W x 1-3/4"H x 9"D
- requires high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi router and an Apple or Android smartphone or tablet
What's in the Box:
- Wireless adapter
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 69" Optical digital cable
- 5' Stereo RCA cable
- 2 Small brackets
- Large bracket
- Bracket plate
- 4 Screws
- Self-adhesive rubber pad
- Setup Guide
- Important Product Information
- Rubber Pad instructions
W Adapt Wireless Adapter: Definitive Technology's W Adapt allows you to upgrade and transform your existing home entertainment setup into a wireless music system. The W Adapt can connect to almost any home entertainment gear using analog or digital connectivity.
Definitive Technology Wireless Collection: The W Adapt is part of Definitive Technology's Wireless Collection which is wireless solution for distributing music anywhere in your home or office. Stream select online music services, Internet radio, and your personal digital music library all from your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Note: Due to bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, Definitive Technology does not recommend more than 16 wireless Play-Fi devices on the same WiFi network at a given time.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Definitive Technology W Adapt is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to hardwire the device to your home's network router. The W Adapt also features built-in WiFi (802.11 g/n; 2.4/5.0GHz) for a wireless connection to your home network.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Definitive Technology's Wireless Collection employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers and devices, or choosing more than one audio brand (like Polk, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi W Adapt to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the free Definitive Technology App on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi devices at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the W Adapt if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
Definitive Technology App: Download the free Definitive Technology App onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) device, Android (4.0+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Definitive Technology wireless system, as well as add, link, and control all your Definitive Technology Wireless Collection and DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple Wireless Collection series and DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: The Definitive Technology Wireless Collection supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream your music files from your music library on your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.2+) device to the Definitive Technology Wireless collection system through the free Definitive Technology app.
- Online Music Services: From the free Definitive Technology app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, Songza, Rhapsody, and Internet Radio.
- Computer Music Library: The Definitive Technology wireless system is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. Use the free Definitive Technology app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi device and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The W Adapt is fitted analog and digital audio inputs. There are to analog audio inputs; one stereo minijack (3.5mm) analog input and one stereo analog (RCA) input. The stereo RCA input will accommodate any analog source with an analog audio output or headphone output. There is also one optical (toslink) digital input. The optical digital input lets you connect your digital audio device (2ch PCM only). These inputs can only be played back at the W Adapt location and cannot be used for a multiroom application.
Analog & Digital Outputs: The Definitive Technology W Adapt wireless adapter offers analog and digital outputs to connect to your home entertainment system. There is one stereo analog (RCA) output, one optical (toslink) digital input, and one coaxial (RCA) digital input. All outputs only support up to 2ch PCM.
AC Power Adapter: The Definitive Technology W Adapt wireless adapter operates off of standard household current using the included AC power adapter.
- Input: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz, 350mA
- Output: 12.0V - 1000mA
Mounting Options: The W Adapt wireless adapter can be table-top mounted using its integrated rubber feet, or rack-mounted via the included brackets.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.