Home theatre preamp/processor with 11.2-channel processing and Dolby Atmos®
Our take on the Marantz AV8802A by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
The flagship of Marantz preamp/processors
Honestly, it might just be easier for us to list what the Marantz AV8802A can't do than what it can. That's because this highly accomplished preamp/processor gives you all the connectivity, capabilities, and legendary Marantz performance you'll need to make it the hub of a reference-quality home theater sound system. What makes the AV8802A so special? It starts with all of the flexibility and features of Marantz's capable AV7702 pre/pro, including Dolby Atmos® surround decoding, plus it adds enough high-performance goodies to make an audiophile drool.
Upgrades for discerning ears
The AV8802A's long list of upgrades includes a massive toroidal transformer with oxygen-free copper windings encased in an aluminum housing for superior current delivery and low noise. Large power supply capacitors offer more than double the reserve current capacity of Marantz's AV7702 for increased dynamics. AKM's latest-generation 32-bit DACs are used on all channels to provide exceptional resolution and transparency. The '8802's heavy copper-plated chassis includes a three-piece top-panel plus a double-layer bottom plate to provide a solid, vibration-resistant foundation. And along with its 13.2-channel balanced XLR outputs, this pre/pro even includes a pair of balanced stereo inputs for connecting your favorite high-end audio source. Pair the AV8802A with a solid multichannel power amp (or two), and you'll hear how far the possibilities of home theater have come.
Dolby Atmos adds a new dimension to sound
Dolby's latest surround sound technology brings a new level of immersion to your home theater. By employing in-ceiling speakers or special Dolby-enabled upward-firing speakers that reflect sound off your ceiling, Dolby Atmos offers a greater sense of space, for sound that's more three-dimensional. Already at work in film production studios and many movie theaters, Dolby Atmos represents a huge step in putting more "theater" into your home theater.
The AV8802A offers multiple setup options for Dolby Atmos. For instance, you can add four overhead or up-firing speakers to a conventional seven-channel system — this is referred to as a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup and is the recommended standard for the best experience. Here's a breakdown of all the Dolby Atmos speaker configurations this pre/pro supports:
- 7.1.4 - seven conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and four overhead or height speakers (recommended)
- 9.1.2 - nine conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and two overhead or height speakers
- 7.1.2 - seven conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and two overhead or height speakers
- 5.1.4 - five conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and four overhead or height speakers
- 5.1.2 - five conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and two overhead or height speakers
You can use as many as four subwoofers with any of these configurations.
With a firmware update, this receiver also supports DTS:X surround sound, a new format which uses object-based processing similar to Dolby Atmos and overhead speakers for immersive home theater.
Smartphones, tablets, computers, and online music services all play here
If much of your music listening takes place in the digital domain, you'll be impressed with the AV8802A's many digital music features. Built-in Wi-Fi® makes it easy to connect to your home network. From there, you can play music wirelessly from networked computers and NAS drives. Apple® users can stream tunes from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, or a computer running iTunes® with AirPlay. Or, connect your iPod® or iPhone to the front-panel USB port and control it with the included remote.
Android™ users will appreciate Bluetooth connectivity, for wirelessly streaming audio from any app on your device. Spotify® and SiriusXM subscribers can listen to their favorite playlists or stations. Plus, there's built-in support for Pandora® and hundreds of free online radio streams. Into high-resolution music? The AV8802A can play files with sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz, as well as DSD files.
Due to changes implemented by Pandora, this component is temporarily unable to connect to the Pandora service. A firmware update to resolve this issue will be released on 10/28/2016.
Branch out to three rooms
The AV8802A has the processing to play different music in as many as three rooms simultaneously. Want to add video to another room? The Zone 2 HDMI output allows you to watch different video content at the same time in each zone. There's also a third HDMI output for connecting both a projector and a TV in your main zone.
Setup help and Audyssey "Platinum"
A feature-packed component like the AV8802A is only as good as your ability to set it up and control it. Marantz's setup assistant guides you through all your connections and settings right out of the box. Just connect your TV with an HDMI cable and you'll be ready to get started. Audyssey's Platinum suite of speaker calibration offers some cool features, including independent calibration for dual subwoofers.
Smartphone and tablet control
When your system is ready to roll, download the free Marantz Remote app for your Apple or Android device. It's an easy way to control this preamp/processor over Wi-Fi, giving you an intuitive touchscreen interface to change sources, play digital music, and operate key features.
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping surround sound; compatible with 7-, 9-, or 11-channel setups
- Auro-3D® ready decoder for creating three-dimensional soundfields with Auro-3D soundtrack mixes and a 10.1-channel speaker configuration (requires $199 firmware upgrade for activation, see more information here)
- next-generation DTS:X surround sound available via firmware update
- video upconversion (up to 4K) for analog and HDMI sources
- Audyssey "Platinum" speaker calibration and system optimization includes:
- MultEQ® XT32 advanced auto setup and room calibration uses high-resolution digital processing filters to deliver balanced, dynamic sound to as many as 8 listening positions (expandable to 32 with a professional installer)
- DSX® (Dynamic Surround Expansion) optimizes "front height" or "front width" speakers to create a larger soundstage with more engaging surround effects
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume mode to keep listening levels steady
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ for fuller sound at lower listening levels
- Sub EQ HT provides individual calibration for dual subwoofers, for even bass response throughout the room
- Low Frequency Containment reduces the amount of bass that bleeds into other rooms
Digital Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Pandora, SiriusXM, and free Internet radio streams with vTuner (subscription required for some services)
- firmware update needed to connect to Pandora: available 10/28/2016
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod®, iPhone® or thumb drive
- direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 2.8 MHz .dsf files)
- DLNA certified for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- M-DAX (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander) for better sound from MP3s and other digital music files
- three-room/three-source output
- line-level outputs for Zones 2 and 3
- Zone 2 HDMI output for watching video content from different sources in two rooms simultaneously
- component and composite video outputs can be assigned to Zone 2
- 13.2-channel balanced XLR outputs
- 13.2-channel unbalanced RCA outputs
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 8 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 3 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- component video switching: 3 in, 2 out
- composite video switching: 4 in, 2 out (includes front-panel input)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 6 analog stereo audio inputs (including front-panel input)
- 1 pair balanced XLR audio inputs
- phono input for connecting a turntable
- 7.1-channel preamp inputs
- Ethernet port for wired network connection
- RS-232C, IR, remote, and 12-volt trigger connections for use with external controllers
- 1/4" headphone output
- detachable power cord
Audio Performance Features:
- massive low-noise toroidal power transformer derived from Marantz Reference Series components
- premium grade AKM AK4490 32-bit DACs on all channels
- fast-response, high-current Shottky barrier diodes in power supply deliver faster switching and lower voltage drop for purer DC output
- fully discrete current-feedback HDAM-SA2 modules
- heavy copper-plated chassis with three-piece top cover and double-layer bottom plate provide superior structural strength and isolation from vibration and interference
- high-density anti-vibration feet with felt insulators
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- free Marantz remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- intuitive, full-color on-screen guide
- Video Select lets you listen to music while watching video from a different source
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- built-in AM/FM HD Radio™ tuner
- remote control
- 17-3/8"W x 7-1/4"H x 17-13/16"D
- weight: 30.6 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- AV Surround Preamplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC027SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey Setup Mic (ACM1HB)
- 2 WiFi/Bluetooth antennas
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Microphone stand
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM (En/Fr/Sp) Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions
- Notes On Radio
- Cable Labels
- Microphone Stand Assembly Instructions
I only have been using this for a couple of days now, but it is a dramatic improvement over my previous preamp. I'm still setting things and learning its features, but have no complaints as yet. The Audyssey room correction made a big improvement in my room.
Joe, Staten Island, NY
Preamp/Processor Advantage: Delegating the amplification duties to a separate component allows the Marantz AV8802A AV Surround Preamplifier to keep a healthy distance between noise-inducing high voltage/high current circuits and sensitive low-level circuits. This means that the radio frequency and electromagnetic interferences that are found in most AV receivers simply don't exist in a preamplifier/processor, or are reduced by several orders of magnitude. The result is less distortion and less signal degradation in general.
Note: The Marantz AV8802A AV Surround Preamplifier does not feature a built-in amplifier and requires a separate power amplifier, such as the Marantz MM8077 seven-channel power amplifier (642M8077, sold separately).
Current Feedback Topology: The Marantz AV8802A uses a high-speed current feedback amplifier circuit for its preamplifier so that audio signals from a Blu-ray Disc player and other equipment that support high-definition audio formats can be listened to with high fidelity. Current Feedback technology offers faster signal handling and extended frequency range. Current feedback circuits track rapid sonic changes more accurately and thus sound more natural. Current feedback topology insures astounding accuracy and control even under high-drive conditions.
HDAMs (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules): The AV8802A utilizes Marantz's proprietary HDAM (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Module) circuits for dynamic music and soundtrack reproduction. HDAMs combine the short signal path advantages of ICs (integrated circuit) and op-amps (operational amplifier) with the superior sound quality of separate circuit components. Because HDAMs are discrete designs, Marantz engineers are free to choose the parts best able to preserve the sonic details of your favorite sources.
Optimized Components: The carefully-optimized audio/video signal paths rest on separate circuit boards for maximum performance as well as isolation from interferences generated by high-speed video processing. The Marantz AV8802A is also equipped with a Hybrid PLL Jitter Reducer that is capable of reducing jitter and phase noise that negatively affect sound quality. The Hybrid PLL Jitter Reducer improves the sound localization, reproducing a natural sound field. In addition, Marantz surround preamplifier employs a high current linear power supply with an torodial power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
32-Bit/192kHz DACs: To handle today's wide-bandwidth and high dynamic range content, the audio section of the AV8802A is equipped with the latest high resolution 32-bit/192kHz DACs on all channels. The 192kHz sampling and 32-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz AV8802A is equipped with a high-resolution SHARC 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder. The AV8802A is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The AV surround preamplifier features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neural, DTS Neo:X
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the preamp must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Immersive Surround Sound: The Marantz AV8802A AV preamplifier goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats - like Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround, DTS:X, Neural:X, and AURO-3D.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. The AV8802A has the processing power to run a more enveloping 7ch or 9ch Dolby Atmos layout using 5.2.2, 5.2.4, 7.2.2, or 7.2.4 configurations utilizing ceiling mounted, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.2.2 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 5.2.4 configuration is based on a 5.1 speaker layout with 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 7.2.2 configuration is based on a 7.1 speaker layout with 2 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 7.2.4 configuration is based on a 7.1 speaker layout with 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your Dolby Digital (Plus/TrueHD) and DTS (ES/HD) movie soundtracks using your existing 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space. DTS:X firmware update now available; click here.
- DTS Neural:X: Further, DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format. Firmware update now available; click here.
- AURO-3D Upgrade ($199): Auro-3D is the next generation three-dimensional audio standard. It provides a realistic sound experience unlike anything before. By fully immersing the listener in a cocoon of life-like sound, Auro-3D creates the sensation of actually "being there". Thanks to a unique "Height" channel configuration, recorded acoustic reflections are reproduced by these speakers and are heard naturally due to the fact that sounds originate from around as well as above the listener. Once upgraded with the AURO-Codec Decoder, the AV7702 is capable of decoding the original Auro-3D mix and playing back an Auro 10.1 channel configuration.
Direct Listening Modes: The Marantz AV8802A offers two Direct Listening Modes which bypass the preamplifier's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. Source Direct provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Pure Direct goes a step further by turning off the preamp's display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noised being added to the audio signal.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz AV8802A surround preamplifier also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers. The 2CH Stereo mode is for playing in two channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer. Multi-Channel Stereo mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers. Virtual Speaker mode lets you enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Audyssey Platinum: The AV8802A features the Audyssey Platinum suite of powerful DSP features; including MultEQ XT32, Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ, and Audyssey DSX.
- MultEQ XT32: Via the supplied measuring microphone, Audyssey MultEQ XT32 measures all the speakers in your home theater during setup, including the subwoofer, and then generates multiple high precision DSP room acoustic correction filters, which together provide smoothest and most natural tonal balance, regardless of the brand or model of the various speakers. MultEQ XT32 provides greater filter precision for the main and surround speakers, with 8x the resolution compared to the base MultEQ system, along with the ability to measure at up to 32 locations in the room. MultEQ XT32 compensates for both time and frequency characteristics of the listening area based on "Audyssey Setup" measurement results. Selection is done from three types of compensation curves - Reference (default and recommended, L/R Bypass, Flat, and Off).
- Audyssey Sub EQ HT + LFC: Audyssey Sub EQ HT provides individual tailoring for each subwoofer in a dual subwoofer setup, delivering the optimum combination of highest deep bass output and lowest distortion. Audyssey LFC processing analyses and processes bass content on a continuous basis and custom tailors the sound via advanced psychoacoustic algorithms to deliver dynamic bass response within the listening room without annoying family members or neighbors in adjacent rooms.
- Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume features advanced psycho-acoustic processing to deliver clear dialog and wide range sound at reduced volume levels so that you can enjoy theater-level clarity at whatever listening level you choose.
- Dynamic EQ: Audyssey Dynamic EQ also features advanced DSP processing to deliver full range wide-band response, even at reduced volume levels. Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset provides three offsets from the film level reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected when the mix level of the content is not within the standard.
- Audyssey Dynamic Surround Expansion (DSX): Audyssey DSX adds front effect speakers to improve spatial sound reproduction. Starting with a 5.1 channel system, DSX adds front Wide and/or front Height channels for better sound staging (although both wide and height speakers can be added, only one pair is used at a time). DSX also applies Surround Envelopment Processing to enhance the blend between the front and surround channels.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Audyssey DSX Settings: While listening in the Audyssey DSX audio format, there are two further enhancements you can adjust; Stage Height (adjust sound stage height +/-10 when using front height speakers) and Stage Width (adjust sound stage width when using front wide speakers).
- Center Gain & Center Spread: During DTS NEO:X, this function distributes the dialog output from the center channel to the front left and right channels and widens the sound image in t he front. During Dolby Surround, this feature epxands the cetner channel signal to the left and right front speakers to create a wider frontal audio image for the listener.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz AV8802A preamplifier provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CINEMA EQ (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Digital and DTS modes.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
Level Adjustments: The AV8802A provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the preamp's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The AV8802A offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the preamplifier's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV preamplifier/processor offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Balanced/Unbalanced Preamp Outputs: The Marantz AV8802A is fitted with both unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR preamp outputs. The AV preamplifier features 13.2ch pre-amp outputs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height 1 L/R, Front Height 2 L/R, Front Wide L/R, and Dual Subs) for connection to external power amplifiers. For compatibility with dual subwoofer home theater systems, the AV8802A features two discrete subwoofer outputs. With dual subwoofers, which can be placed in different parts of the room, you'll benefit from response averaging, which helps provide smoother and more. Note: If you are connecting the AV8802A to a "vintage" amplifier via XLR, please make sure the pin-out configuration of the amplifier is the same as the preamplifier (Pin 1-Ground, Pin 2-Hot, Pin 3-Cold).
- XLR Inputs: The AV8802A has a pair assignable XLR left & right inputs for connecting a high-quality audio component.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: There are 2 coaxial digital inputs and 2 optical digital inputs. The inputs accept digital audio signals from a compact disc, DVD, Blu-ray, or other digital source component. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner.
- 7.1 Channel Input: The AV8802A features a 7.1 Channel input (Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer) for connecting a DVD Audio player, Super Audio CD multi-channel player, or other component that has a multi-channel port so you can playback the audio with 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel surround sound. If you will not be using the 7.1 channel input with a multi-channel decoder, you can use the front and left inputs as an auxiliary input.
- Phono Input: The AV8802A's phono (MM) input lets you connect to a turntable and offers the amplification that this weaker signal requires. The preamp's phono circuitry prepares the signal from the turntable for amplification, letting you enjoy your vinyl collection at full volume without tonal distortion.
- Headphone Output: The AV surround preamplifier features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
HDMI 2.0a: Featuring eight HDMI inputs (including one conveniently located on the front-panel) and three HDMI outputs, the AV8802A incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0a specification, including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR) & 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, along with support for 3D content. The AV8802A also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility, a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content.
- 4K/60Hz: The AV8802A supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI
- HDCP 2.2: All of the preamplifier's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All of the preamplifier's rear-panel HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. The front-panel HDMI only supports 4K 60/50Hz using format YCbCr 4:2:0 only.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Out of the box, the AV8802A is only compatible with HDR10. Through a future firmware update (schedule for spring of 2018), the unit will also support Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) HDR formats.
Three HDMI Outputs: The two parallel HDMI outputs distribute the same video signal simultaneously to two separate displays, while the discrete HDMI output allows you to play a different audio/video source in another zone.
4K Video Upconversion: The Marantz AV preamplifier's sophisticated video processor provides upconversion from standard definition (480i/480p) and high definition (720p/1080i/1080p) sources to 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160 pixels), which lets you connect all your analog (composite/component) or digital (HDMI) video sources to the AV8802A and then connect to your HDTV with just a single HDMI cable.
Other HDMI Features: The Marantz AV8802A AV preamplifier's HDMI connectivity also offers 3D video pass-through, ARC (Audio Return Channel), Deep Color & x.v.Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function.
- 3D Ready: The AV8802A AV surround preamplifier supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AV8802A's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the AV surround preamp through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV surround preamplifier supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the AV surround preamp set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the AV surround preamp automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV preamplifier is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the preamplifier's HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV preamplifier's HDMI monitor output. Once the preamplifier is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the preamplifier's preouts.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Analog Video Inputs: The preamplifier/processor features four composite video inputs (3 rear/1 front), one composite video record output, one composite video monitor output, and one Zone 2 composite video output. The composite video monitor output can also be assigned to Zone 3. There are also three component video (60MHz) inputs, one component video monitor output, and one Zone 2 component video output.
Picture Mode: The AV8802A provides Picture Mode to adjust the picture quality for your viewing content and environment. You can select from Standard, Movie, Vivid, Streaming, ISF Day/Night, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode lets you manually adjust Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Noise Reduction, and Enhancer (sharpness).
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the surround preamplifier while listening to a different audio signal from iPod, USB, CD, Tuner, Online Music, or Bluetooth.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz AV8802A is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the AV preamplifier to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the preamplifier access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Note: The two included antennas must be connected to the AV8802A in order to use the preamp's built-in WiFi.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The AV8802A is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the AV preamplifier and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the AV8802A 's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The preamp also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz AV8802A supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||N/A||.flac|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Online Services: The Marantz AV8802A lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music and photo services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the AV8802A supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, Spotify Connect, and SiriusXM; as well as the Flickr online photo sharing site (as of 4/9/2015). The Marantz preamplifier offers on-screen menu display and control over these web services.
|Online Services|| |
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), and AAC (16-320kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
|Pandora (requires future firmware update scheduled for 10/28)||Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Spotify Connect||If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify the Marantz AV preamp. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.|
|Flickr||Flickr is an online photograph sharing service that started in 2004. You can use this unit to view photographs on a connected TV that have been made public by Flickr users. You will need to setup an Flickr account to download, upload, and view photographs.|
Favorites: You can add up to 100 items as "Favorites" from Internet Radio, online music services, and your media server for easier, quicker access.
HD Radio Tuner: In addition to receiving standard analog AM and FM broadcasts, the AV8802A features a built-in HD Radio tuner. HD Radio technology brings digital radio to conventional analog AM and FM radio stations, with improved sound quality, better reception, and new data services. HD Radio technology provides CD-quality sound for FM stations, and FM-quality sound for AM stations. In addition, FM HD Radio station can transmit multiple programs on the same frequency by using multicast channels. Text data display includes station name, song title, artist name, etc. HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
- Station Text: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles.
- Multicasting: Many HD Radio stations also offer more than one channel of programming. This service is called multicasting.
- Station Presets: You can store up to 56 radio stations presets (8 stations each in 7 separate banks) and name each preset with an 8 character ID.
- Direct Frequency Tuning: You can enter the receiving frequency directly to tune in a station, using the supplied IR remote control.
Web Control: You can control this AV preamplifier from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The AV8802A and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
HEOS Multiroom Compatible: Thanks to the AV preamplifier's network and IP control capability, it can be integrated into a HEOS whole home audio system via the HEOS Link (sold separately) and the HEOS app for Apple iOS (7.0+) & Android OS (2.3+). The HEOS Link connects to the AV preamp's Zone 2 preouts and a set of stereo RCA inputs or optical digital input on the preamplifier. Now, you can send the preamplifier's Zone 2 audio to other HEOS speakers in different rooms of your home, as well as play back audio from other HEOS devices through the AV preamplifier. From the app on your mobile device, you'll be able to control the AV preamp along with other HEOS gear and listen to music throughout your home. The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system can support up to 32 HEOS products (sold separately) on a single wireless network.
- Music: You can select which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from the receiver's Zone 2 audio, the Link's built-in online music services (like TuneIn, Pandora, Spotify Connect, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, Amazon Music or TIDAL, ), the music library on your mobile device), and more.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Groups: You can join or group up to eight individual HEOS devices into a group that function as if they were a single speaker. The HEOS App is also flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 HEOS products per Group).
- Party Mode: You can easily group eight rooms together into Party Mode by using a "pinch" gesture.
Note: The AV preamplifier only allows one IP connection for control. If the receiver is already being controlled by a 3rd party control system via IP, then the HEOS Link will not be able to control it.
Software Updates: Using the preamp's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz preamplifier up-to-date.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Marantz AV surround preamplifier offers wired (via USB) and wireless (via AirPlay) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. You can even watch video from your Apple device via the preamplifier's front-panel HDMI input.
- AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV preamplifier, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV preamp. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV preamplifier; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV8802A. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the preamp's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- USB Direct: The AV8802A supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the preamplifier's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV preamp, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the preamplifier's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your iPod/iPhone/iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI (song/artist text will also display on preamp's front-panel display).
- HDMI Video: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV preamplifier's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your Lightning connector iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the AV preamp. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (47230PHDMI, sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Using the HDMI input, video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen.
Note: Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the preamplifier (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Marantz AV8802A is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 4/9/2015).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||Bluetooth||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV preamplifier is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5,000 files. You can use the preamplifier's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on your HDMI-connected TV and the preamp's front-panel display. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV preamplifier's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Compatible Audio Formats Sampling Frequencies Bit rate Extension WMA (Windows Media Audio) 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-192 kbps .wma MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48 kHz 32-320 kbps .mp3 WAV 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz N/A .wav MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-320 kbps .aac/.m4a/.mp4 FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz N/A .flac ALAC 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz N/A .m4a AIFF 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz N/A .aif/.aiff DSD 2.8 MHz N/A .dsf/.dff
Note: The preamplifier's USB port cannot be used with a USB hub or computer.
Front Panel Design: The AV surround preamplifier's front panel features a combination of aluminum extrusion and glass-reinforced resin which shields internal circuitry and absorbs internal and external resonances. The front panel is clean, precise, and inviting. Volume and input selection knobs flank a round volume/source display. A drop- down door hides secondary controls and connectors to maintain that classic look while providing easy access to the extensive features of the AV8802A. In addition to the round volume/source display centered on the front panel, there's a second and even more comprehensive source of information behind the panel's drop-down door. This display shows menu choices for custom setup and other data to help you get the most out of your new AV surround preamplifier.
On-Screen GUI w/ Setup Wizard: The AV surround preamplifier incorporates an on-screen color GUI (Graphic User Interface) menu system which makes various operations and menu selections visible on your connected television set. The AV8802A also features an on-screen Setup Wizard that provides easy-to-follow setup instructions. The on-screen menu display can only be output to your TV via HDMI.
Note: The AV preamplifier's front-panel LCD window only displays source input and volume. You will need to connect this preamplifier up to your TV via HDMI to configure speaker, network, input, and system settings through the AV preamp's on-screen menu.
Smart Select: On the AV8802A's front-panel, you'll find four Smart Select buttons that let you quickly choose from the most popular input sources; the ergonomically designed remote also includes Smart Select function buttons. With Smart Select, the AV8802A remembers not only your preferred inputs but also your preferred audio settings, so you can enjoy precisely tailored sound with each one.
Multi-Source/Multi-Zone: Marantz's Multi-Zone/Multi-Source function lets you select different audio/video sources for listening and viewing in different locations of your home. The AV8802A's Zone 2 offers audio/video playback, while Zone 3 offers audio only playback. This unit is also equipped with an HDMI Zone 2 output connector for transfer of audio/video from connected HDMI sources to Zone 2. The source can be the same for all zones through "All Zone Stereo", or you can enjoy three different sources in these three zones if you prefer.
- HDMI Zone 2 (Audio/Video): The AV8802A incorporates
multi-zone HDMI audio/video distribution for Zone 2 with the inclusion of
its HDMI matrix switching functionality. The AV preamplifier can send two different
HDMI video feeds to two displays at the same time directly from the
preamplifier. HDMI Zone 2 also supports 2ch PCM audio from the HDMI input source
selected. The HDMI Zone 2 function is only compatible with the HDMI 1-7
input connectors. It is not compatible with the HDMI 8 input connector. The
volume of HDMI Zone 2 will be controlled by your TV or add-on receiver
in Zone 2.
- Compatible Sources: HDMI 1-7 video (up to 4k) and audio (2ch PCM) inputs.
- Line-Level Zone 2
(Audio/Video): Zone 2 allows stereo audio/video playback of another
A/V source connected to the preamplifier in another room of your home via
left/right RCA audio output connections and composite or
component video. To enjoy a video source in Zone 2, you must connect the
same video connection to your second display monitor as connected to the
preamplfier for that particular source (there is no video-conversion for Zone
2). The second room will require an additional amplifier in that room
to power those speakers. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Marantz
AV8802A or from your add-on integrated amplifier.
- Compatible Sources: Analog audio/video inputs, HDMI Audio (2ch PCM), Optical/Coaxial digital inputs (2ch PCM), AM/FM Tuner (cannot select different stations for each zone), USB (including iPod/iPhone), AirPlay (only available in Zone 2 when AirPlay is also playing in Main Zone), Bluetooth, Internet Radio (different network sources cannot be played back in multiple zones at the same time), DLNA/Media Server contents.
- Line-Level Zone 3 (Audio Only): Zone 3 allows you to
play a different stereo audio source connected to the preamplifier in a
third room of your house. Zone 3 features RCA preamp-outputs to coneect a separate amplifier to power speakers
in the other room. The volume of Zone 3 can be controlled by the Marantz AV8802A or from your add-on integrated amplifier
when using the line-output.
- Compatible Sources: Analog audio inputs, Optical/Coaxial digital inputs (2ch PCM), AM/FM Tuner (cannot select different stations for each zone), USB (including iPod/iPhone), AirPlay (only available in Zone 2 when AirPlay is also playing in Main Zone), Bluetooth, Internet Radio (different network sources cannot be played back in multiple zones at the same time), DLNA/Media Server contents.
- All Zone Stereo Function: The All Zone Stereo function
allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2
simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types; analog or digital).
During the All Zone Stereo mode, only the "Multi Ch Stereo" and "Stereo"
sound modes can be selected. You will have independent volume control in
each zone. All Zone Stereo mode is useful when you want to enjoy the same
music at the same time in multiple rooms during a get together or party.
- Compatible Sources: All audio sources (both analog and digital).
Notes: Analog video signals cannot be sent to Zone 3 or HDMI Zone 2. HDMI audio cannot be sent to Zone 3. DSD audio cannot be sent to Zone 2 or Zone 3. Unfortunately, you cannot select USB and Network sources exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select a network source for Zone 2/3 when a USB source is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to the same network source as Zone 2/3 (this scenario also includes Bluetooth).
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV and FLAC music files via USB or DLNA.
Lock Functions: You can lock all the controls on the front panel of the unit, accept for the Power button, to prevent anyone else from changing the settings on your AV surround preamplifier. You can also lock the AV surround preamplifier's settings, so they are not inadvertently changed.
Source Rename/Delete: You can change the display name (up to 8 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Dual Backup Memory Function: This AV surround preamp stores its settings in a nonvolatile memory even when the main power supply is turned off. Using the Dual Backup Memory function, you can write settings information to another memory area to back up saved settings for recovery anytime as needed.
- Personal Memory Plus: This function sets the settings (input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, audio delay, etc.) last selected for the individual input sources.
- Last Function Memory: This function stores the settings which were made before going into the standby mode. When the power is turned back on, the settings are restored.
Timers: The Marantz AV preamplifier features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function.
- Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
- Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (15/30/60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Marantz AV8802A features built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.4. You'll be able to wirelessly stream music from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple device, Android smartphone/tablet, portable audio player, laptop, or PC to the Marantz preamplifier. You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the preamp's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. Song/Artist information is displayed on your HDMI-connected TV. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the AV8802A, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks.
Note: The two included antennas must be connected to the preamplifier in order to use Bluetooth. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Marantz AV8802A.
Marantz Remote App: The Marantz Remote App lets you control the Marantz Network AV preamplifier using your Apple iOS or Android device. Simply download the free Marantz Remote App from the Apple App Store onto your Apple iOS device (iOS 4.3+), or download the free Marantz Remote App from the Google Play Store onto your compatible Android device (1.5+). The AV preamplifier will need to be connected to the same network as your Apple iOS or Android device. This free Remote App lets you control the Marantz AV preamp's basic functions (power, volume, input, surround modes) from your Apple iOS or Android device for all zones of the preamplifier. You can even navigate the AV8802A's network and Internet content from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, there are eight customizable home screen short cut buttons that allow you to tailor the look and function of the Marantz Remote App to suit your needs.
Learning Remote: The provided IR wireless remote control is a universal learning remote control. The remote features a backlit LCD window which displays information about the sources selected from the remote control. The remote control's buttons are also backlit with a press of a button. This remote is preset with remote codes for Marantz AV components. The remote also contains codes for other manufacturers which can be programmed. In addition, the remote control is capable of learning and storing codes used by other remote controls.
HDMI Control: When you make an HDMI connection between the Marantz AV surround preamplifier and a HDMI control-function compatible TV or Blu-ray/DVD player, you can perform the following operations.
- The AV surround preamplifier can be turned off with the TV's remote.
- You can switch audio output devices from the TV remote.
- You can adjust the AV surround preamplifier's volume with the TV remote.
- You can switch the AV surround preamplifier's input sources through the TV remote.
- When playing a Blu-ray/DVD player, the AV surround preamplifier automatically switches to the input source of the player.
Remote Connections: The AV surround preamplifier offers a variety of remote inputs and outputs.
- Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the AV8802A from each of its zones from an external key-pad (sold separately)
- DC Trigger Output: The two DC trigger outputs (3.5mm) allow you to connect two external devices so they can be turned on by the AV8802A.
- Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the AV8802A to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
- RS-232C: The RS-232C port is to be used in conjunction with an external controller to control the operation of the unit by using an external device. The RS-232C port may also be used in the future to update the operating software of the unit so that it will be able to support new digital audio formats.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.