NAD C 427
Our take on the NAD C 427 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Top-notch reception and convenient use
Listening to music, catching a ballgame, keeping up with the news.... There are several reasons why a strong AM/FM tuner can be a key addition to your home stereo system. The NAD C 427 tuner makes sure your radio stations come through clearly by using a low-distortion design and features such as "FM Mute," which eliminates inter-station tuning noises,.
With the C 427's 40 available presets and simple controls, you can store and scroll through your favorite radio stations with ease. The tuner's screen displays Radio Data System information, so you can see what station, artist, and song you're listening to (available with select FM stations). You can control it with the supplied remote, or integrate it with your existing external controller or universal remote. The NAD C 427 works well with NAD's highly-regarded integrated amplifiers.
- 40 AM/FM station presets
- 24-position rotary knob for switching between preset stations
- displays Radio Data System (RDS) Program-Service and Text information for station name, artist, and song info (available with select FM stations)
- auto and manual tuning
- "Blend" feature narrows stereo separation for clearer reception of noisy stations
- RS-232, IR input and +12V input for use with other remotes and controllers
- stereo RCA output (cable included)
- AM and FM antennas included
- detachable power cord
- remote control included
- FM harmonic distortion: 0.4% (mono), 0.8% (stereo)
- FM signal-to-noise ratio: 65 dB (mono), 60 dB (stereo)
- 17-1/8"W x 3-15/16"H x 12-7/16"D
- weight: 10.1 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM Tuner
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (TNR 3)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- 38" Stereo RCA cable
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty Card
Solid well built product. Excellent audio bandwidth and sensitivity. It needs a good FM antenna to sound its best. As with any good audio equipment, the sound is totally limited by the source material which is this case is the broadcast quality. Strong high quality broadcasts sound great.
Jim, Medford, NJ
RDS: The RDS limits itself to the RDS PS (Program Service) and RT (Radio Text) function, both of which enhance ease of operation. The RDS PS will automatically indicate the name of the radio station you are listening to in the display. At the touch of a button, RDS RT will display additional information broadcast by the radio station, such as the presenter, the music playing, etc.
Fine Tuning: With each brief rotation of the C 427's front-panel rotary dial, the tuner will take 0.05 MHz steps for the FM band and 10 kHz for the AM band. You can also use the remote's numeric keypad to directly enter a station's identification number. Auto Search automatically stops at the next strong radio signal and optimizes tuning. Weaker radio stations can be tuned into manually. Stations that are quiet in Mono, but noisy in Stereo can benefit from the "Blend" feature that narrows stereo separation and improves noise. FM Mute eliminates inter-station tuning noise and only allows strong and clear stations to emerge from the silent background.
30 Presets: With 40 presets available, you can store all your favorite radio stations in any combination of AM and FM stations. To avoid having to scroll through 40 presets, the un-programmed (empty) ones are skipped to give you quick access to all your stations. All the preset information is stored in the C 427's non-volatile memory, which means it will remember all of its preset information even if the unit has been unplugged for a prolonged period.
Connections: The NAD C 427 tuner features a threaded F-type connector to connect the included FM wire antenna, and two spring-clip terminals to connect the included AM loop antenna (you can upgrade antennas). The NAD C 427 is fitted with a set of stereo RCA outputs and comes with a 38" audio cable to connect the tuner to your AV receiver. The rear panel IR input (3.5mm), +12V Trigger input (3.5mm), and RS-232 port allow the C 427 to be easily integrated with sophisticated system controllers used in custom installation. The tuner also comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord.
Simple Operation: Instead of littering the front panel with seldom-used buttons and features, the C 427 concentrates on the essentials. It features an intuitive user interface with a 24-position rotary encoder knob to quickly tune stations or select preset stations. The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the tuner.
VFD: The C 427 features a Vacuum Fluorescent Display which provides visual information on the settings, conditions, status, and other information relevant to the currently tuned station. The display offer three brightness settings.
Sleep Mode: The tuner's Sleep Mode timer will switch the C 427 to "standby mode" automatically after a preset number of minutes (30, 60, 90, or Off).
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 15 kHz (±1.5dB, 60 dBµ)
- Usable Sensitivity (98 MHz): 10 dBµ
- Signal/Noise Ratio: 65 dB (60 dBµ IHF-WTD Mono); 60dB (60 dBµ IHF-WTD Stereo)
- Channel Separation:
- 30 Hz: 33 dB
- 1 kHz: 40 dB
- 10 kHz: 32 dB
- Capture Ratio (40 dBµ): 3 dB
- AM Suppression: 50dB (60 dBµ, 100% Mod. FM, 30% Mod. AM)
- Image Rejection (119.4 MHz): 70 dB
- I.F. Rejection (10.7 MHz): 70 dB
- Pilot Suppression (60 dBµ): 60 dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion: Mono 0.4%; Stereo 0.8%
- Auto Search Sensitivity: 24 dBµ
- RDS Decode Sensitivity: 26 dBµ
- Frequency Response (100-2.3kHz, 5 mV): ±6 dB
- Usable Sensitivity (999/1000Hz): 55 dBµ
- Signal/Noise Ratio (5 mV In): 42 dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion (5 mV In): 1.5%
- IF Rejection (450 kHz): 40 dB
- Image Rejection (F+2xIF): 28 dB
- Selectivity: 20 dB
- Loop Sensitivity (20dB S/N):
- 999/1000 Hz: 66 dB
- 603/600 Hz: 66 dB
- 1404/1400 Hz: 66 dB
Standby Power: <0.5W
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.