Home theatre preamp/processor with 11.2-channel processing, Dolby Atmos®, DTS:X, and HEOS
Our take on the Marantz AV7703 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
The AV7703 is loaded with connections, including balanced XLR outputs.
High-performance home theater
The AV7703 preamp/processor combines Marantz's outstanding audio and video processing with cutting-edge entertainment features. With 11.2 channels of processing and balanced XLR preamp outputs, it's got everything you need to set up a serious home theater system. It works seamlessly with the latest 4K TVs and Blu-ray players, even upscaling HD and standard definition video to 4K. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X put you in the middle of the action with realistic, multi-dimensional surround sound. Stream music from different sources and enjoy high-resolution music in your living room, or in any room of your house, thanks to built-in HEOS technology.
Set up a wireless whole-home audio system with HEOS
With built-in HEOS technology, the AV7703 can be easily integrated into a wireless multi-room audio system. Stream music to HEOS wireless speakers in different rooms, and control each room's speakers independently with the free HEOS app. The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Play the same music throughout your home, or listen to something different in each room. You can play music from your own personal library, internet radio, and popular streaming services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and Tidal, just to name a few.
Music and video in different rooms
The AV7703 has preamp outputs for 11 channels, giving you the flexibility to play music in up to three rooms at the same time. In your living room, you can set up a 7.1-channel surround sound system or a 5.1.2-channel Atmos system with a pair of upward-firing or overhead speakers. That leaves you with four channels you can connect to an additional amplifier to power speakers in two additional zones, or a set of outdoor speakers. A "Zone 2" HDMI output lets you watch video from two separate sources in your living room and a second room.
Easy wireless music streaming
Access your own digital music library and thousands of internet radio stations from around the world through the AV7703's built-in Wi-Fi. There's support for subscription-based streaming services like Spotify® and Pandora®, so you can listen to all your on-the-go favorites through your home theater speakers. Bluetooth connectivity lets you stream any music you like from a compatible phone or tablet.
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping surround sound; compatible with 7-, 9-, or 11-channel setups
- DTS:X for an immersive, 3-dimensional soundstage
- Auro-3D® ready decoder for creating three-dimensional soundfields with Auro-3D soundtrack mixes and a 10.1-channel speaker configuration (requires a paid firmware upgrade for activation)
- video upconversion (up to 4K) for analog and HDMI sources
- built-in HEOS technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- Audyssey "Platinum" speaker calibration and system optimization includes:
- MultEQ® XT32 advanced auto setup and room calibration uses high-resolution digital processing filters to deliver balanced, dynamic sound to as many as 8 listening positions (expandable to 32 with a professional installer)
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume mode to keep listening levels steady
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ for fuller sound at lower listening levels
- Sub EQ HT provides individual calibration for dual subwoofers, for even bass response throughout the room
- Low Frequency Containment reduces the amount of bass that bleeds into other rooms
Digital Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Pandora, SiriusXM, and free internet radio streams with TuneIn Radio (subscription required for some services)
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod®, iPhone® or thumb drive
- direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- DLNA certified for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- M-DAX (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander) for better sound from MP3s and other digital music files
- three-room/three-source output
- line-level outputs for Zones 2 and 3
- Zone 2 HDMI output for watching video content from different sources in two rooms simultaneously
- component and composite video outputs can be assigned to Zone 2
- 11.2-channel balanced XLR outputs include outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- 11.2-channel unbalanced RCA outputs include outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 8 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 3 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology on all inputs and outputs ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- all inputs support 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (HDR), 21:9 video, 3D, and BT.2020 wide color gamut pass-through
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 4 in, 2 out (includes front-panel input)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 6 analog stereo audio inputs (including front-panel input)
- MM phono input for connecting a turntable
- 7.1-channel preamp inputs
- Ethernet port for wired network connection
- RS-232C, IR, remote, and 12-volt trigger connections for use with external controllers
- 1/4" headphone output
- detachable power cord
Audio Performance Features:
- high-quality 32-bit/192kHz DAC
- discrete current-feedback HDAM-SA2 modules
- copper-plated chassis provides superior isolation from interference
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- free Marantz remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- intuitive, full-color on-screen guide
- Video Select lets you listen to music while watching video from a different source
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- built-in AM/FM HD Radio™ tuner
- remote control
- 17-3/8"W x 7-1/4"H x 17-13/16"D
- weight: 22.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 11.2ch AV surround preamplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC032SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey Setup Mic (ACM1HB)
- 2 WiFi/Bluetooth antennas
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Microphone stand
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions
- Notes On Radio
- Cable Labels
- Microphone Stand Assembly Instructions
- Spotify Brochure
Great preamp and service from crutchfield
Anonymous, Rockford, IL
Preamp/Processor Advantage: Delegating the amplification duties to a separate component allows the Marantz AV7703 AV surround preamplifier to keep a healthy distance between noise-inducing high voltage/high current circuits and sensitive low-level circuits. This means that the radio frequency and electromagnetic interferences that are found in most AV receivers simply don't exist in a preamplifier/processor, or are reduced by several orders of magnitude. The result is less distortion and less signal degradation in general. The AV7703 features both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) preamp outputs.
- 11.2Ch Balanced XLR Preouts: If your power amplifier is equipped with balanced XLR inputs, then use the AV7703's balanced XLR preouts. The AV7703's 11.2ch balanced XLR preouts consist of Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height 1 L/R, Height 2 L/R, Subwoofer 1, and Subwoofer 2. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality. If you are connecting the AV7703 to a "vintage" amplifier via XLR, please make sure the pin-out configuration of the amplifier is the same as the preamplifier (Pin 1-Ground, Pin 2-Hot, Pin 3-Cold).
- 11.2Ch Unbalanced RCA Preouts: If your power amplifier is not equipped with balanced XLR inputs and only offer unbalanced RCA inputs, then use the AV7703's unbalanced RCA preouts. The AV7703's 11.2ch unbalanced RCA preouts consist of Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height 1 L/R, Height 2 L/R, Subwoofer 1, and Subwoofer 2.
Note: The Marantz AV7703 AV Surround Preamplifier does not feature a built-in amplifier and requires a separate power amplifier, such as the Marantz MM8077 seven-channel power amplifier (642MM8077, sold separately).
11-Channel Assignment: The Marantz AV7703 AV preamplifier supports up to 11.1 channel playback and can be configured in a variety of ways to accommodate your system's setup.
- 11.1ch: This configuration can be used for a Dolby Atmos home theater system with a 7.1.4 speaker setup; using either overhead, height or Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.
- 9.1ch: This configuration can be used for a Dolby Atmos home theater system with a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 speaker setup; using either overhead, height or Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.
- 9.1ch (Bi-Amp): This configuration can be used for a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, while Bi-amping the front speakers.
- 9.1ch (Front B): This configuration can be used for a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, while powering a secondary pair of front speakers.
- 7.1ch: This configuration serves as either a 7.1-channel surround system setup with Surround Back speakers; or a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2ch. setup with overhead, height , or Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.
- 5.1ch: This configuration serves as a basic 5.1-channel surround system with Front, Center, and Surround speakers, plus dual subs.
Current Feedback Topology: The Marantz AV7703 uses a high-speed current feedback amplifier circuit for its preamplifier so that audio signals from a Blu-ray Disc player and other equipment that support high-definition audio formats can be listened to with high fidelity. Current Feedback technology offers faster signal handling and extended frequency range. Current feedback circuits track rapid sonic changes more accurately and thus sound more natural. Current feedback topology insures astounding accuracy and control even under high-drive conditions.
HDAMs (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules): The AV7703 utilizes Marantz's proprietary HDAM (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Module) circuits for dynamic music and soundtrack reproduction. HDAMs combine the short signal path advantages of ICs (integrated circuit) and op-amps (operational amplifier) with the superior sound quality of separate circuit components. Because HDAMs are discrete designs, Marantz engineers are free to choose the parts best able to preserve the sonic details of your favorite sources.
Advanced 32-Bit D/A Conversion On All Channels: For optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with lowest distortion, the AV7703 features advanced reference-class 32-bit AKM D/A converters on all channels. This ensures consistent high fidelity and precise channel matching across all channels for the ultimate listening experience. In addition, the AV preamplifier utilizes a Hybrid PLL Clock Jitter Reducer to eliminate distortion caused by jitter errors for a more accurate reproduction of the recording the way the artist intended.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz AV7703 is equipped with a high-resolution 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The Marantz AV7703 supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|DSD||2-6ch, 2.8824MHz, 1-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express|
|Optical/Coaxial||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Marantz AV7703 AV surround preamplifier goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats, including Dolby Atmos & DTS:X.
- Dolby Atmos:
Dolby Atmos surround sound technology
dispenses with channel-based coding in favor of more advanced object-based
coding, giving the soundtrack designer the ability to precisely place sounds
anywhere in the 3-dimensional space. Now you can enjoy this same
award-winning technology at home with the AV7703 that lets you to connect a
5.1 or 7.1 surround sound speaker system and 2-4 additional overhead
speakers or 2-4 Dolby Atmos elevation speakers for the ultimate home theater
- A 5.1.2 configuration is based on a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- A 5.1.4 configuration is based on a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 4 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- A 7.1.2 configuration is based on a more advanced 7.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- A 7.1.4 configuration is based on a more advanced 7.1 speaker layout complemented by 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- DTS:X: The latest immersive surround sound system, DTS:X features object-based audio coding that lets the soundtrack designer place sonic elements anywhere in the 3D acoustic soundspace, and provides for overhead speakers to deliver a stunning surround sound experience. Along with DTS:X decoding, the AV7703 features DTS-HD Master Audio decoding and other DTS audio technologies. DTS:X will require a firmware update.
Post Decoding Formats: The Marantz AV surround preamplifier supports Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X, and DTS Neo:6 (Music/Cinema) to enhance 2-channel and multichannel decoding formats.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch and multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS Neural:X: DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format. DTS Neural:X will require a firmware update.
- DTS Neo:6: DTS Neo:6 is an advanced matrix decoder that takes any two-channel source (including television broadcasts, CDs and DVDs) and expands it into five or six channels. It also provides separate, optimized modes for stereo music materials and matrix surround motion picture soundtracks. DTS Neo:6 brings you a more revealing sound from ordinary stereo and a more expansive home cinema experience.
AURO-3D Upgrade ($199): Auro-3D is the next generation three-dimensional audio standard. It provides a realistic sound experience unlike anything before. By fully immersing the listener in a cocoon of life-like sound, Auro-3D creates the sensation of actually "being there". Thanks to a unique "Height" channel configuration, recorded acoustic reflections are reproduced by these speakers and are heard naturally due to the fact that sounds originate from around as well as above the listener. Once upgraded with the AURO-Codec Decoder, the AV7703 is capable of decoding the original Auro-3D mix and playing back an Auro 9.1 or 10.1 channel configuration.
Audyssey Platinum: The AV7703 features the Audyssey Platinum suite of powerful DSP features; including MultEQ XT32, Sub EQ HT, LFC, Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ.
- MultEQ XT32: Via the supplied measuring microphone, Audyssey MultEQ32 measures all the speakers in your home theater during setup, including the subwoofer, and then generates multiple high precision DSP room acoustic correction filters, which together provide smoothest and most natural tonal balance, regardless of the brand or model of the various speakers. Audyssey MultEQ32 incorporates Up to eight listening positions can be measured, configured, and recorded. MultEQ XT32 compensates for both time and frequency characteristics of the listening area based on "Audyssey Setup" measurement results. Selection is done from three types of compensation curves - Reference (default and recommended, L/R Bypass, Flat, and Off).
- Sub EQ HT: Audyssey Sub EQ HT provides individual DSP tailoring of each subwoofer in a dual subwoofer setup, for deeper bass with improved definition, compared to a single subwoofer configuration.
- LFC (Low Frequency Containment): Audyssey LFC solves the problem of low frequency sounds disturbing people in neighboring rooms or apartments. Audyssey LFC dynamically monitors the audio content and removes the low frequencies that pass through walls, floors and ceilings. It then applies psychoacoustic processing to restore the perception of low bass for listeners in the room. The result is great sound that no longer disturbs the neighbors.
- Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume features advanced psycho-acoustic processing to deliver clear dialog and wide range sound at reduced volume levels so that you can enjoy theater-level clarity at whatever listening level you choose.
- Dynamic EQ: Audyssey Dynamic EQ also features advanced DSP processing to deliver full range wide-band response, even at reduced volume levels. Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset provides three offsets from the film level reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected when the mix level of the content is not within the standard.
Direct Listening Modes: The Marantz AV7703 offers two Direct Listening Modes which bypass the preamplifier's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. Source Direct provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Pure Direct goes a step further by turning off the preamplifier's display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noised being added to the audio signal.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz AV7703 surround preamplifier also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers. The 2CH Stereo mode is for playing in two channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer. Multi-Channel Stereo mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers. Virtual Speaker mode lets you enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz AV7703 surround preamplifier provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CINEMA EQ (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic (including PL II, PL IIx, PL IIz), and DTS Neo:6 modes.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
- Center Spread: When using the preamplifier's Dolby Surround mode, the Center Spread function expands the center channel signal to left and right front speakers to create a wider frontal audio image for the listener. It is optimized and designed primary for playback of stereo music content.
- Dialog Control: When listening to a DTS:X soundtrack, the Dialog Control feature adjusts the volume of dialog in movies and vocals in music, so voice can be heard more easily.
Level Adjustments: The AV7703 provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- EQ Level: If you choose not to use the Audyssey MultEQ X32 auto calibration setup function, you can manually set the tonal balance and level for each frequency band of the preamplifier's 9-band EQ (63/125/250/500/1k/2k/4k/8k/16k Hz) for each connected loudspeaker.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the preamplifier's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The AV7703 offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the preamplifier's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
7.1 Channel Input: The AV7703 features a 7.1 Channel input (Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer) for connecting a DVD Audio player, Super Audio CD multi-channel player, or other component that has a multi-channel port so you can playback the audio with 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel surround sound.
Phono Input: The AV7703's phono input lets you connect to a turntable and offers the amplification that this weaker signal requires. The preamp's phono circuitry prepares the signal from the turntable for amplification, letting you enjoy your vinyl collection at full volume without tonal distortion.
Dual Discrete Sub Outputs: For compatibility with dual subwoofer home theater systems, the AV7703 features two discrete subwoofer outputs. With a single subwoofer, room acoustics and the subwoofer's location in the room may not deliver optimum deep bass response. Instead, because of room resonances, deep bass quality may be uneven due to room interaction. With dual subwoofer outputs you can connect two subs and place them in different parts of the room, and enjoy smoother and more accurate deep bass response as a result.
Headphone Output: The AV surround preamplifier features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
HDMI 2.0a: Featuring eight HDMI inputs (including one conveniently located on the front-panel) and three HDMI outputs, the AV7703 incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0a specification, including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR), 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling and 21:9 video pass-through, along with support for 3D content. The AV7703 also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility, a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content.
- 4K/60Hz: The AV7703 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI
- HDCP 2.2: All of the preamplifier's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All of the preamplifier's rear-panel HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. The front-panel HDMI only supports 4K 60/50Hz using format YCbCr 4:2:0 only.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- 21:9 Aspect Ratio: By supporting 21:9 aspect ratio, this preamplifier can show films recorded in the Cinema Scope format on your TV for a much more immersive video experience. When these types of films are viewed in the usual 16:9 ratio, you see black bars at the top and bottom of the screen; 21:9 eliminates these bars.
Note: Out of the box, the AV7703 is only compatible with HDR10. Through a future firmware update (scheduled for October 2017), the unit will also support Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) HDR formats.
Three HDMI Outputs: The two parallel HDMI outputs distribute the same video signal simultaneously to two separate displays, while the discrete HDMI output allows you to play a different audio/video source in another zone.
4K Video Upconversion: The Marantz AV preamplifier's sophisticated video processor provides upconversion from standard definition (480i/480p) and high definition (720p/1080i/1080p) sources to 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160 pixels), which lets you connect all your analog (composite/component) or digital (HDMI) video sources to the AV7703 and then connect to your HDTV with just a single HDMI cable. Only the preamplifier's main HDMI output supports video upconversion.
Other HDMI Features: The Marantz AV7703 AV preamplifier's HDMI connectivity also offers 3D video pass-through, ARC (Audio Return Channel), Deep Color & x.v.Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function.
- 3D Ready: The AV7703 AV surround preamplifier supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AV7703's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the AV surround preamp through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV surround preamplifier supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the AV surround preamp set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the AV surround preamp automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV surround preamplifier is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the AV surround preamps HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV preamplifier's HDMI monitor output. Once the AV surround preamp is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the preamplifier's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV surround preamplifier to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Advanced ISFccc Video Calibration: The AV7703 is certified by the Imaging Science Foundation to deliver top video quality, and the unit also features advanced ISFccc video calibration controls that allow for precision fine-tuning of the connected HDTV, even if it's not an ISF certified set. You can choose from a variety of Picture Modes - Standard, Movie, Vivid, Streaming, ISF Day, ISF Night, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode lets you manually adjust Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Noise Reduction, and Enhancer (sharpness).
Component & Composite Video: The AV surround preamp features three composite video inputs and one composite video output, as well as a Zone 2 composite video output. There are also two component video inputs and one component video output (the component video output can also be assigned to Zone 2).
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the AV surround preamp while listening to a different audio signal from iPod, USB, CD, Tuner, Online Music, or Bluetooth.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz AV7703 preamplifier is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the preamplifier to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4.5GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the preamplifier access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+). The two included antennas must be connected to the AV preamplifier in order to use the preamplifier's built-in WiFi.
Note: Network setup requires that the AV surround preamp be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The preamplifier's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The AV7703 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the AV preamplifier and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the AV7703's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The preamplifier also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz AV7703 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|Compressed||WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|Hi-Res||FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||N/A||.flac|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
HEOS Online Music Services: Thanks to built-in HEOS technology, you'll be able to stream your favorite online music service like Pandora, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Tidal, Amazon, Rhapsody, TuneIn, Spotify Connect, and Amazon Music. More streaming music services coming soon (stay tuned). The HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art. You can create a "Favorite" station list, so you can quickly access your favorite internet radio stations and online music channels right from the preamplifier's remote and on-screen menu.
- TuneIn: HEOS includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- Pandora: Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the HEOS AV surround preamp. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- iHeart Radio: iHeartRadio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.
- Rhapsody: Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- TIDAL: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Amazon Music: Listen to over a million songs, thousands of playlists, and ad-free personalized stations with Amazon Music. Requires an Amazon Prime membership (currently $10.99 per month or $99 per year).
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
HD Radio Tuner: In addition to receiving standard analog AM and FM broadcasts, the AV7703 features a built-in HD Radio tuner. HD Radio technology brings digital radio to conventional analog AM and FM radio stations, with improved sound quality, better reception, and new data services. HD Radio technology provides CD-quality sound for FM stations, and FM-quality sound for AM stations. In addition, FM HD Radio station can transmit multiple programs on the same frequency by using multicast channels. Text data display includes station name, song title, artist name, etc. HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service.
- Station Text: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles.
- Multicasting: Many HD Radio stations also offer more than one channel of programming. This service is called multicasting.
- Station Presets: You can store up to 56 radio stations presets (8 stations each in 7 separate banks) and name each preset with an 8 character ID.
- Direct Frequency Tuning: You can enter the receiving frequency directly to tune in a station, using the supplied IR remote control.
Note: Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Software Updates: Using the preamp's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz preamplifier up-to-date.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV surround preamplifier is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5,000 files. You can use the preamplifier's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on your HDMI-connected TV and the AV surround preamps front-panel display. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV preamplifier's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|Compressed||WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|Hi-Res||FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||N/A||.flac|
Note: The preamplifier's USB port cannot be used with a USB hub or computer.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Marantz AV7703 features built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR) with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.4). You'll be able to wirelessly connect to Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphones/tablets, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computers/laptops and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the AV7703, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time).
- Music Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone/tablet, computer/laptop and more to the Marantz AV surround preamp. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the AV7703 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the Marantz AV surround preamp offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod/iPhone/Pad.
- Music Control: You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the preamplifier's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device.
- Song/Artist Info: Song/Artist information will be displayed on your HDMI-connected TV.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Marantz AV surround preamplifier.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Marantz AV surround preamplifier offers wired (via USB) and wireless (via AirPlay) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. You can even watch video from select Apple devices via the preamplifier's front-panel HDMI input.
- AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV AV surround preamp, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV surround preamplifier. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV AV surround preamp; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV surround preamplifier. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the preamplifier's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- USB Direct: The AV7703 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the preamplifier's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV AV surround preamp, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the preamplifier's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your iPod/iPhone/iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI (song/artist text will also display on preamplifier's front-panel display).
- HDMI Video: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV preamplifier's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your Lightning connector iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the AV surround preamplifier. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Using the HDMI input, video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Marantz AV7703 is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model function (as of 10/24/2016).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||Bluetooth||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
HDMI Zone 2: The AV7703 incorporates multi-zone HDMI audio/video distribution for Zone 2 with the inclusion of its HDMI matrix switching functionality. The AV surround preamp can send two different HDMI video feeds to two displays at the same time directly from the AV surround preamp (HDMI Zone 2 does not support upscaling). HDMI Zone 2 also supports 2ch PCM audio from the HDMI input source selected. The HDMI Zone 2 function is only compatible with the HDMI 1-7 input connectors. It is not compatible with the HDMI 8 input connector. The volume of HDMI Zone 2 will be controlled by your TV or additional AV surround preamp in Zone 2.
- Compatible Sources: Compatible HDMI Zone 2 sources include the preamplifier's HDMI 1-7 inputs.
- Incompatible Sources: The preamplifier's HDMI 8 input cannot be output to Zone 2. Analog audio/video signals cannot be sent to HDMI Zone 2. USB, Bluetooth, iPod/iPhone, AirPlay, Internet Radio, HEOS music apps, and DLNA sources cannot be output to HDMI Zone 2.
Audio/Video Zone 2: Zone 2 allows stereo audio/video playback of another A/V source connected to the AV surround preamp in another room of your home via stereo pre-out connections, as well as composite or component video. To enjoy a video source in Zone 2, you must connect the same video connection to your second display monitor as connected to your AV surround preamp for that particular source (there is no video-conversion for Zone 2). Zone 2 features stereo pre-outs, so you can use a separate amp to power speakers in another room. When using the preamplifier's pre-outs for the second room you'll need an amplifier in that room to power those speakers. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Marantz preamplifier or from your add-on integrated amplifier.
- Compatible Sources: Compatible Zone 2 sources include Analog audio/video inputs, HDMI audio (2ch PCM), Optical/Coaxial digital inputs (2ch PCM), AM/FM Tuner (cannot select different stations for each zone), USB (including iPod/iPhone), AirPlay, Bluetooth, Internet Radio (different network sources cannot be played back in multiple zones at the same time), HEOS music apps, DLNA/Media Server contents.
- Incompatible Sources: DSD audio cannot be sent to Zone 2. Unfortunately, you cannot select USB and Network sources exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select a network source for Zone 2 when a USB source is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to the same network source as Zone 2 (this scenario also includes Bluetooth).
Audio Only Zone 3: Zone 3 allows you to play a different stereo audio source connected to the preamplifier in a third room of your house. When using the preamplifier's Zone 3 preamp output terminals for a 3rd Zone, you need an additional amplifier in that room to power those speakers. The volume of Zone 3 can be controlled by the Marantz preamplifier or from your add-on integrated amplifier.
- Compatible Sources: Analog audio inputs, Optical/Coaxial digital inputs (2ch PCM), AM/FM Tuner (cannot select different stations for each zone), USB (including iPod/iPhone), AirPlay, Bluetooth, Internet Radio (different network sources cannot be played back in multiple zones at the same time), HEOS music apps, DLNA/Media Server contents.
- Incompatible Sources: Analog video, HDMI audio/video, and DSD audio cannot be sent to Zone 3. Unfortunately, you cannot select USB and Network sources exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select a network source for Zone 3 when a USB source is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to the same network source as Zone 3 (this scenario also includes Bluetooth).
All Zone Stereo Function: The All Zone Stereo function allows you to enjoy the AV preamplifier's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types; analog or digital). During the All Zone Stereo mode, only the "Multi Ch Stereo" and "Stereo" sound modes can be selected. You will have independent volume control in each zone. All Zone Stereo mode is useful when you want to enjoy the same music at the same time in multiple rooms during a get together or party.
HEOS Wireless Multiroom: Built-in HEOS technology allows the AV7703 to become part of the HEOS wireless multiroom system, allowing you to enjoy your favorite music throughout your home. Share music stored on your home network, Internet radio & online streaming services, plus the music library on your smartphone or source components connected to the AV surround preamp with multiple HEOS wireless speakers and other HEOS components throughout your house. And it's all controlled by the free HEOS app, installed on your Apple iOS (7.0+) or Android OS (2.3+) device. The app gives you instant multiroom audio control, meaning you can command music in every room from any device - play different music from different sources in every room, group several rooms together and play the same song.
- Music: You can select which sources you want to listen to from the app. Choose from the preamplifier's connected sources (2ch PCM only), a variety of online music services and internet radio, plus the music library on your computer (DLNA) or iPhone/Android device, and even Bluetooth.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Groups: You can join or group up to eight individual HEOS devices into a group that function as if they were a single speaker. The HEOS App is also flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 HEOS products per Group).
- Party Mode: You can easily group eight rooms together into Party Mode by using a "pinch" gesture.
- The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system can support up to 32 HEOS products (sold separately) on a single wireless network.
When audio from a device connected to the AV surround preamp is played back in a multiroom application, only 2-channel PCM input from the HDMI, digital or analog terminals can be played back.
AVR Remote App: The new Marantz AVR Remote App lets you control the Marantz AV7703 AV surround preamplifier using your Apple (iOS 7.0) or Android (OS 4.0+) device. From this free app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device, you'll be able to control the Marantz AV preamplifier's basic functions; such as power, volume, input, surround modes, and other settings. You'll also be able to control separate Zones of the AV surround preamp, as well as navigate the AV preamplifier's network and Internet content from the app. In addition, you get you get unique features likes a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, the ability to create playlists, and control over a Marantz Blu-ray player.
- Landscape Orientation Control Screen: With a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, you can easily browse and navigate through your network music services or personal digital music collection with ease, and at the same time view now-playing information and cover art all on a single screen.
- Create Playlists: The app's playback screen allows you to easily build your own personal music playlists on the fly with the ability to Drag & Drop files into your queue, or tap to "Play Now", "Play Next", "Play Next and Replace Queue" or "Add to End of Queue". You can then save your queue as a playlist for easy recall.
- Marantz Blu-ray Player Control: The app allows control over select Marantz Blu-ray players (UD7007/5007) that are connected to the AV surround preamplifier via HDMI.
Note: This AV surround preamplifier is not compatible with last year's older Marantz Remote App.
Learning Remote: The provided IR wireless remote is a universal learning remote control. The remote features a adjustable backlit LCD window which displays information about the sources and modes selected from the remote control. The remote's buttons are also backlit with a press of a button. This remote control is preset with remote codes for Marantz AV components. The remote also contains codes for other manufactures which can be programmed.
HDMI-CEC: When you make an HDMI connection with a TV or Blu-ray player compatible with the AV7703's HDMI control function, you can perform the operations from the AV7703's remote control; Power off, Switching of audio output devices, Switching of audio input devices, Volume adjustment, and Playback functions.
Smart TV Control: When you connect the Marantz AV7703 to your Smart TV, you have the option of controlling the AV7703 via the TV's remote control which lets you select an input, adjust the volume and choose the surround sound mode. The AV surround preamp and your TV must be connected via HDM with the HDMI-CEC function activated on both components.
Custom Integration: The Marantz AV7703 provides advanced remote connectivity and control features often required for custom home integration and theater applications using premium control systems. These features include IP control, Remote In/Out, Flasher In, DC Trigger Out, and RS-232C port.
- IP Control: The AV surround preamp can be set up and operated by a home computer on the network via IP control, either via wired LAN connection or Wi-Fi, and also features Control4 SDDP (Simple Device Detection Protocol) certification for quick and easy integration with Control4 home automation equipment.
- RS-232C: The RS-232C port is to be used in conjunction with an external controller to control the operation of the unit by using an external device. The RS-232C port may also be used in the future to update the operating software of the unit so that it will be able to support new digital audio formats.
- Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the AV7703 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
- Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the AV7703 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
- DC Trigger Output: The DC trigger output (3.5mm) allows you to connect an external device so it can be turned on by the AV7703.
Alexa Compatible (via firmware update): Through a network firmware update, HEOS and Amazon Alexa customers can now enjoy the convenience of Alexa voice control plus high-quality wireless home audio. In addition to controlling your HEOS components with the HEOS app on your mobile device or tablet, you can now control them with Amazon Alexa voice technology and an Amazon Alexa device (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show - all sold separately). Voice control features include -
- Alex voice commands include Volume (up/down, specific volume number, & mute); Playback (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Resume); and Power on/off. The HEOS Bar and HEOS AVR even support HDMI switching (1-4) through Alexa voice command.
- You can group your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app with an Alexa-friendly name. Once they are grouped, Alexa voice commands will control the group as a whole. If you want to play audio content from only one HEOS-enabled device in the group, you must ungroup the device within the HEOS app.
- You are able use voice commands to search for songs, albums and artists and even podcasts and internet stations from HEOS & Alexa compatible music apps - like Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM.
- For a list of current Alexa voice commands supported by the HEOS HomeEntertainment Skill, click here. For setup instructions, click here.
Note: You will need an Alexa-enabled device (Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap, or Echo Show - all sold separately) to operate your HEOS products via voice-command. Youre HEOS components and the Alex-enabled devices must be on the same network.
Front Panel Design: The AV surround preamplifier's front panel features a combination of aluminum extrusion and glass-reinforced resin which shields internal circuitry and absorbs internal and external resonances. The front panel is clean, precise, and inviting. Volume and input selection knobs flank a round volume/source display. A drop-down door hides secondary controls and connectors to maintain that classic look while providing easy access to the extensive features of the AV7703. In addition to the round volume/source display centered on the front panel, there's a second and even more comprehensive source of information behind the panel's drop-down door. This display shows menu choices for custom setup and other data to help you get the most out of your new AV surround preamplifier.
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): With the on-screen graphical display that combines large clear text and colorful icons, plus the Marantz Setup Assistant, setup is both simple and quick, letting you easily make all necessary adjustments and settings to quickly and easily optimize the AV7703 for your particular speaker configuration and source equipment. When you control the sound volume, the volume level is displayed on the screen, and when you switch the input source, the name of the input source is displayed. The on-screen menu display can only be output to your TV via HDMI.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV and FLAC music files via USB or DLNA.
Input Name & Delete: You can change the display name (up to 8 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Timers: The Marantz AV preamplifier features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function.
- Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
- Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (15/30/60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
Dual Backup Memory Function: This AV surround preamp stores its settings in a nonvolatile memory even when the main power supply is turned off. Using the Dual Backup Memory function, you can write settings information to another memory area to back up saved settings for recovery anytime as needed.
- Personal Memory Plus: This function sets the settings (input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, audio delay, etc.) last selected for the individual input sources.
- Last Function Memory: This function stores the settings which were made before going into the standby mode. When the power is turned back on, the settings are restored.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.