NAD CI 580
BluOS™ 4-zone stereo digital preamplifier/network player
Our take on the NAD CI 580 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Add high-resolution wireless music streaming to your multi-zone audio system
NAD's CI 580 4-zone digital preamp/network player serves as the backbone of a custom-installed whole house audio system with cutting-edge wireless music playback. This powerful network player delivers lag-free streaming to any zone you select using Bluesound's proprietary BluOS operating system.
Flexible features for custom installations
The rack-mountable CI 580 is a great choice if you want to keep all of your gear hidden out of sight in a centralized location, like a closet or basement. Four sets of RCA analog preamp outputs plus four optical and coaxial digital outputs can feed your choice of independent amplifiers or even a single multi-channel amp. Analog and digital inputs let you add a cable box and other "local" sources, which you can play in any zone.
A free app with advanced control options
Operate your system via Wi-Fi® using the BluOS Controller app with your Apple® or Android™ device, or your Windows® or Mac® computer. It gives you flexible control over your music system, letting you access, control, and stream music to different BluOS-enabled zones. Synchronize multiple audio zones, or stream different music to different zones at the same time. You can even use your Apple Watch to control your system.
A wealth of high-resolution streaming options
BluOS can send 24-bit high-res music to any room in your home, without any loss of sound quality. Stream music from your personal library or from internet streaming services. The selection of supported services — including TIDAL, Spotify®, and Rhapsody®, among others — is one of the most impressive we've seen.
- 4-zone stereo player for digital and analog music sources
- connects to your home network via wired Ethernet for music streaming (1 Ethernet connection for all zones)
- includes support for Spotify, Deezer, TIDAL, Slacker, Radio Paradise, Napster, Murfie, and Calm Radio
- free internet radio from TuneIn Radio and iHeartRadio
- BluOS compatibility for further expansion with Bluesound wireless speakers
- free BluOS controller app for iOS®, Android, Windows, and Mac OS X
- compatible file types: MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF
- supports high-resolution playback (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- compatible with leading third-party control systems like Control4, Crestron, RTI, and URC
- 1U rack chassis
- universal voltage (100V-240V)
- Ethernet port for wired connection to a home network
- analog stereo RCA: 1 in, 4 out
- Toslink optical digital audio (1 in, 4 out)
- coaxial digital audio (4 out)
- USB Type A input for connecting a USB memory stick and other compatible devices
- IR and 12-volt trigger connections for use with external controllers
- system interrupt feature allows doorbells and fire alarms to be heard
- 19-1/4"W x 1-3/16"H x 8-3/4"D (including rack mount ears)
- weight: 5.9 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Network music preamplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Connector block
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty Information
BluOS Network Music Preamplifier: The NAD C 580 network music preamplifier feature's Bluesound's proprietary BluOS operating system along with Ethernet, (RJ-45), analog (stereo RCA), digital (optical), and USB (type-A) inputs. It can deliver audio to up to 4 stereo zones through its analog (RCA) & digital (optical/coaxial) pre-outs, all controlled from the free Bluesound Controller App for Apple iOS, Android, Windows, & Mac. You can listen to the same audio source in each zone or have a different audio source playing in each zone.
Bluesound Wireless High-Resolution Audio Eco-System: The NAD CI 580 is part of Bluesound's wireless high-resolution audio eco-system. The Bluesound wireless high-resolution audio eco-system consists of music players, amplifiers, hard-drives, and wireless speakers to playback your high-res and low-res music files, along with your favorite online music services throughout your home using your home's WiFi network. With an advanced WiFi antenna design and blazing ARM Cortex9 Processors, Bluesound ensures a solid connection in every corner of your home. Play your music in perfect sync or play different music simultaneously to any Bluesound device in any room.
Note: Up to 16 Bluesound devices can be connected in a strictly wireless environment. If you want to connect more than 16 Bluesound devices, you will need to connect the Bluesound devices to your network using a wired connection. Bluesound can then control up to 64 devices in a strictly wired environment.
Ethernet Jack: A wired Ethernet (RJ-45) connection is required to setup the CI 580 and connect it to your network. Using the supplied Ethernet cable, connect one end of the Ethernet cable to CI 580's LAN port and the other end to the corresponding LAN port of your wired Ethernet broadband router.
Note: The NAD CI 580 does not offer built-in WiFi for a wireless network connection.
Bluesound Controller App: The free Bluesound Controller App turns your Apple iOS (7.0+) iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android (OS 4.0+) smartphone/tablet, Windows (Vista or higher) PC or Mac (O X 10.7+) computer into a full-featured remote control for the Bluesound wireless music system. The Bluesound Controller App on your compatible device uses your home's WiFi network to connect with Bluesound devices, so you can play all the music you love anywhere in your home for a wireless multiroom music experience. Get on-demand access to your music libraries on your home network, stream live Internet radio from almost any place in the world, or listen to one of the many music services available on Bluesound, all from the palm of your hand with the easy-to-use Bluesound Controller App.
Supported Music Formats: The Bluesound wireless audio system supports both low-res and high-res audio files; including MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, FLAC, ALAC, WMA Lossless, MQA, WAV, and AIFF. Bluesound has been designed to work with today's larger music collections, and has indexed libraries up to 100,000 songs in demonstrated practice (this will depend on the music's metadata & artwork). Bluesound also offers gapless playback by default for all supported file music types.
|Compression||File Type||Sampling Frequency||Bit Rate or Bit Depth|
|Lossless||WMA-Lossless||up to 96 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|FLAC||192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|Uncompressed||AIFF||up 192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
Notes: Bluesound cannot index or play AAC files with the extension ".m4p". These files were purchased in iTunes prior to 2009 and are subject to copy protection. Apple Consumers with an iTunes Match subscription can delete and re-download these files free of charge from their iTunes Cloud
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated): Bluesound is the first wireless multiroom audio system to support MQA (Master Quality Authenticated). MQA is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to stream or download. Bluesound worked closely with MQA to implement technology inside each Bluesound component to ensure the listener will hear MQA encoded music and streams exactly like the source and the way the artist intended you to hear it when it was approved in the studio.
Note: MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) support will require a firmware update.
Online Music Services: With a network and internet connection, the NAD CI 580 lets you access select online music services & internet radio. The Bluesound Controller app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the Bluesound system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- TIDAL: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality
- TuneIn: The Bluesound system includes access to more than 70,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 70,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- iHeart Radio: iHeartRadio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Slacker: Get the sound quality that you deserve with the new Slacker Radio® music library available in high-quality AAC audio on Bluesound. Listen to music streams at a bitrate of 320kbps and enjoy all your favorite Slacker stations in pristine MP3-quality.
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
Music Library From Your Mobile Device: From the Bluesound Controller App, you can stream music directly over WiFi from your Apple iOS or Android device to the CI 580's four zones and the rest of your Bluesound components around your home. The app gives you complete control of your compatible mobile device's music library with song/artist information and album art.
Computer Audio: The NAD CI 580 and the Bluesound wireless music system will pull music from an existing digital music library across the network on your Windows PC or Mac computer using Windows or SMB File Sharing (SAMBA) and the Bluesound Controller App for Windows & Mac.
- Windows: Music files stored on a Windows desktop or laptop can be accessed by Bluesound using Windows File Sharing. You will need to download the Bluesound Share Utility for Windows - Bluesound Share Utility Windows v1.6.zip. This utility will work on Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10.
- Mac: Music files stored on an Apple iMac or MacBook can be accessed by Bluesound using SMB File Sharing. You will need to download the Bluesound Share Utility for OS X - Bluesound Share Utility OSX v1.2.zip. This utility will work on any version of Apple OS X 10.8.x and higher.
USB (Type-A) Port: The CI 580 features a USB (type-A) port to directly connect a USB mass storage class (MSC) device; such as a thumbdrive or external hard-drive. The unit's USB port supports music playback from these compatible USB devices formatted in FAT 32. USB audio can then be distributed to all four zones and other Bluesound components throughout your home for multiroom playback.
Note: The USB port is not compatible with the direct connection of an Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android devices.
Analog & Digital Inputs: In addition to network and USB connectivity, analog and digital inputs are also available to add a satellite receiver and other non-network/non-USB sources to make them available and selectable in every zone (1-4), plus the ability to stream them to other Bluesound components throughout your home. There is one stereo RCA input and one optical (toslink) digital input. Both inputs support 2ch PCM audio (not compatible with Dolby Digital/DTS).
Analog & Digital Pre-Outs: The NAD C 580 network music preamplifier offers 4 audio zones with analog or digital preouts. Each Zone (1-4) features a stereo analog RCA, Optical digital, and Coaxial digital input.
12V Triggers & IR In: The 12V trigger output (3.5mm) can be used to control or activate other external device equipped with a corresponding 12V trigger input. The 12V trigger input of the CI 580 connected to the DC output jack of a compatible auxiliary component, allows the CI 580 to be switched remotely from standby mode to operating mode and vice-versa. The CI 580's IR In (3.5mm) can be connected to the output of an IR repeater (sold separately) or the IR output of another component to allow control of the CI 580 from a remote location.
3rd Party Controllers: The CI 580's network connectivity and built-in BluOS operating system enables custom integration with several of the top control systems - including Control4, Crestron, and RTI. Unlike many other network audio solutions, BluOS has a published API that allows a more complete and sustainable integration.
System Interrupt: The CI 580 includes a system interrupt feature to allow for doorbells and fire alarms to be heard. Detachable 5V-30V connector block is located on the rear-panel.
Rack Mountable: The NAD CI 580 network music preamplifier is rack-mountable and takes up 1U rack space.
AC Power: The NAD CI 580 operates off of standard household current using its internal power supply and the included 6' detachable AC power cord.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.