Polk Audio Omni S2 Rechargeable
Battery-powered wireless speaker with DTS Play-Fi®
| Watch a first-look video |
Polk Omni wireless multi-room audio systems
From Polk: How to set up the Omni S2 Rechargeable with Android Device
From Polk: Polk Omni Wireless Music System
Our take on the Polk Audio Omni S2 Rechargeable by Crutchfield's David Brown
Take your music to every room, and outside
A whole-house music system doesn't have to be restricted to just the house. Extend your listening outside on your deck or patio with the battery-powered Polk Omni S2 Rechargeable wireless speaker. The Omni system lets you play music wirelessly throughout your home using your smartphone or tablet. The weather-resistant S2 Rechargeable lets you take the party outdoors, for up to 10 hours of use with a fully charged battery. A little rain and sun won't damage this rugged, compact speaker, making it the perfect way to stream tunes inside and out of your home.
The Omni S2 Rechargeable wireless speaker is weather-resistant, so you can stream your favorite music outside on your deck or patio.
Play loads of music wirelessly with your smartphone or tablet
The Omni S2 Rechargeable speaker offers lots of ways to listen to music. The free Polk Omni app for Apple® and Android™ is your hub for accessing music stored on your smartphone or tablet. You can also stream music from networked computers and music servers. If you're one of the millions of Spotify® Premium subscribers, Spotify Connect lets you access all your favorite albums and playlists. There's built-in support for Pandora® Internet radio and SiriusXM. Plus, you can choose from over 37,000 free Internet radio streams, for a nearly endless supply of music and other programming.
Wireless setup and control
The S2 Rechargeable is easily set up and controlled via Wi-Fi® with your smartphone or tablet. Adding speakers is as simple as plugging them in and tapping a few buttons. In just minutes, you can have music playing throughout your house, without running a single wire except plugging them into a power outlet.
Play-Fi® turns every smartphone into its own music system
The key to the Omni S2 Rechargeable's wireless music capability is Play-Fi. Developed by audio innovator DTS, Play-Fi allows you to send the same song to multiple speakers, play a different song in every room, or let each member of the family control speakers independently with their own device. Play-Fi can transmit lossless audio at CD quality to up to 16 speakers or components on your network. Best of all, the S2 Rechargeable can work with other Play-Fi speakers from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers, offering more flexibility than closed systems.
Sound you'll enjoy as much as we do
Polk Audio speakers have long been favorites with our customers, as well as our employees. The Omni S2 Rechargeable's sound is just what we've come to expect from Polk — smooth, clear, and well-balanced, with tight bass that doesn't overwhelm and detailed high frequencies that don't pierce your ears. Just what you need to turn a day of doing chores around the house into a music-charged pleasure.
Explore the entire Polk Audio Omni system and build your whole-house music system
Omni S2 - Compact size, great sound, easy wireless music listening with your smartphone or tablet.
Omni S2 Rechargeable - A rechargeable battery and a weather-resistant design allow outdoor use with this compact speaker.
Omni P1 - Add the Omni wireless system to your existing stereo.
Omni A1 - Connect a pair of speakers to this amplified wireless player.
Omni SB1 - This sound bar and subwoofer bring wireless music to your home theater.
- two built-in 2" full-range speakers powered by dual Class D amplifiers
- two passive radiators for extended bass response
- DTS Play-Fi software allows speaker to communicate with other Polk Omni devices, as well as other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 10 hours of use
- wireless range: operates up to 100 feet from your network router
- weather resistant withstands moisture and sun exposure*
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Polk/Play-Fi app for Apple and Android devices offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone or tablet
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- USB port for firmware updates
- 3.5mm AUX input for connecting an iPod or other portable music player
- front-panel volume buttons
- AC adapter included
- 9-1/8"W x 5-13/16"H x 4-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year (2 years with registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi router and an Apple or Android smartphone or tablet *Not designed for permanent outdoor installation or continued, uninterrupted exposure to the elements.
What's in the Box:
- Portable wireless speaker
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- Setup Guide
- Important Product Information
- Preferred Service Program
I'm very happy with my Polk Omni speaker. Canned be moved anywhere. Easy setup, I streamed for about five hours while working in the garage, no problems. Will be adding more to my system soon.
Omni S2 Rechargeable Wireless Speaker: The Omni S2R is a compact wireless speaker that lets you put Polk's widely respected signature sound in any room of your home, or outside on the porch, patio, or deck. The Polk Audio Omni S2R uses two 2" full-range drivers powered by a two-channel Class D amplifier, while the two 2" passive radiators create a fuller bass response. The Polk Omni S2R features a rugged ABS cabinet that is weather resistant for the casual outdoor use. Infrequent and/or accidental rain and sun exposure should not harm the speaker.
Omni Series: The Omni S2R is part of Polk Audio's Omni Collection, a series of wireless products that allow you to control what you want to listen to from your smartphone, tablet, or computer and stream it wirelessly to any room. You can start with one Omni series wireless product and then add more throughout your home or office.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Polk Audio's Omni series collection of wireless speakers employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi (802.11 g/n; 2.4/5.0GHz) wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand (like Definitive Technology, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi speaker to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the Polk Omni App on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
Polk Omni App: Download the free Polk Omni App onto your Apple iOS (6.0+) device, Android (2.2+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Omni wireless speaker system, as well as add, link, and control all your Omni and DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple Omni series and DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: Polk Audio's Omni series wireless speaker collection supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream your music files from your music library on your Apple iOS (8.0+) or Android (4.0+) device to the Polk Audio Omni speaker system through the free Polk Omni app.
- Online Music Services: From the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, and Internet Radio. While the DTS Play-Fi app is free, not all the online music services are (subscription & purchasing fees may apply).
- Computer Audio: The Polk Audio Omni series wireless system is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the free Polk Omni app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Stereo Pair: The Polk Omni app lets you link two Polk Omni S2R speakers together to create a stereo image with discrete left and right speakers. This is perfect for larger spaces or for the enthusiast who wants a stereo image. After you setup a stereo pair, the two Polk Omni S2R speakers will show up as one "Speaker" under the speaker tab of the Polk Omni app.
Wireless Surround: You can use a pair of the Polk Omni S2R wireless speakers as rear surround speakers for the Omni SB1 Plus soundbar speaker system. Simply update the speakers' firmware using the Polk Audio Utility app (for iOS & Android), followed by a single update to the DTS Play-Fi software using this same app. Once updated, setup is simple and can be completed in minutes. It is highly recommended that the wireless rear surround speakers be placed on the 5GHz band of a dual band AC router.
Aux Input: A 3.5mm auxiliary input lets you connect and play music from other audio sources, such as a portable CD player or MP3 player with an audio output or headphone output jack. This input can only be played back at the speaker location and cannot be used for a multiroom application.
Rechargeable Battery: The Polk Omni S2R uses a lithium-ion rechargeable battery which can last up to 10 hours on a full charge at moderate listening levels. The included AC power adapter charges the built-in battery and can be used to power the wireless speaker.
Mounting Options: The Omni S2R can sit horizontally or vertically on a table-top.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.