Definitive Technology W7
Wireless powered speaker with DTS Play-Fi®
| Watch a first-look video |
Definitive Technology W series wireless system
Definitive Technology Wireless Music System
From Definitive Technology: How to set up the W7 with iOS Device
From Definitive Technology: How to set up W7 with Android Device
Our take on the Definitive Technology W7 by Crutchfield's David Brown
The compact W7 offers dyanmic sound in a unique cube-shaped speaker that's easy to place anywhere.
Let your music follow you, without any wires
Have you ever dreamed of having a house wired for music in every single room? It's actually very easy to do — and you don't even need the wires. The Definitive Technology W system makes it a snap. Start off with their W7 speaker in any room — it's a compact, cube-shaped powered speaker that offers surprisingly big sound. Connect it to your Wi-Fi® network, control it with your smartphone or tablet, and you'll be enjoying a wealth of music in minutes. Add more speakers or components to play different songs in each room, or stream the same tune everywhere in party mode. The only hard part is deciding which song to play next.
Play loads of music wirelessly with your smartphone or tablet
The Definitive Technology W7 offers lots of ways to listen to music. A free app for Apple® and Android™ is your hub for accessing music stored on your smartphone or tablet. You can also stream music from networked computers and music servers. If you're one of the millions of Spotify® Premium subscribers, Spotify Connect lets you access all your favorite albums and playlists. There's built-in support for Pandora® Internet radio and SiriusXM. Plus, you can choose from over 37,000 free Internet radio streams, for a nearly endless supply of music and other programming.
Play-Fi® turns every smartphone into its own music system
The key to the Definitive Technology W7's wireless music capability is Play-Fi. Developed by audio innovator DTS, Play-Fi allows you to send the same song to multiple speakers, play a different song in every room, or let each member of the family control speakers independently with their own device. Play-Fi can transmit lossless audio at CD quality to up to 16 speakers or components on your network. Best of all, the W7 can work with other Play-Fi speakers from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers, offering more flexibility than closed systems.
Innovative tri-polar design
When I first saw the W7, I was quite surprised at how small it was. When I heard it, I was jolted by its big, punchy sound. But this compact speaker's story isn't just about volume. The unique tri-polar design features drivers on three sides, evenly distributing clear, accurate sound across a wide soundstage. It's a brilliant design for a speaker that's likely to be used in a kitchen or other room where you're not going to be stationary. The four tweeters ensure you get lots of detail from various listening angles, while the 4" mid/bass driver and dual passive radiators throw plenty of tight bass your way. You'll even get some reflections off of nearby walls, for spacious sound that makes the W7 an impressive music source in almost any room.
Explore more Definitive Technology W products and build your whole-house music system
W7 - Compact size, great sound, easy wireless music listening with your smartphone or tablet.
W9 - Huge, spacious sound and deep bass make this a formidable wireless speaker.
W Adapt - Add wireless music to your existing stereo.
W Amp - Connect a pair of speakers to this amplified wireless player.
W Studio - This sound bar and subwoofer bring wireless music to your home theater.
- five built-in drivers powered by dedicated amplifiers
- one 4" front-firing mid/bass driver and four 1" front- and side-firing aluminum dome tweeters
- two 4" side-mounted passive radiators for extended bass response
- tri-polar design offers accurate, balanced sound that's widely dispersed
- DTS Play-Fi software allows speaker to communicate with other Definitive Technology W devices, as well as other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Definitive Technology/Play-Fi app for Apple and Android devices offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone or tablet
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- optical digital audio input
- 3.5mm AUX input for connecting an iPod® or other portable music player
- Ethernet port
- USB port for firmware updates and phone charging
- play/pause and volume buttons
- AC adapter included
- 5-15/16"W x 7"H x 7-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi router and an Apple or Android smartphone or tablet
What's in the Box:
- Active wireless speaker
- 5.5' AC power cord
- Setup Guide
- Important Product Information
Been a huge fan of Definitive speakers for many years, and this one does not disappoint.. Provides crisp sound even at volume. Setup was pretty simple with the iPhone app, and had it playing music in no time.
Gary, Rogers, AR
W7 Wireless Speaker: The W7 is Definitive Technology's ultra-compact, DTS Play-Fi wireless speaker, perfect for those who want great wireless sound in their home or office.
Tri-Polar Speaker Technology: The W7's "Tri-Polar" configuration radiates sound off of surrounding walls for a soundstage that is broad, natural, and can be heard throughout the room. Combining a built-in digital amplifier, digital signal processing, four dome tweeters, one midbass driver, and dual passive radiators, the Definitive Technology W7 is able to produce impressive bass and spacious imaging.
- Digital Amplifiers: A 15-watt x 4-channel digital amplifier powers the four 1" tweeters, while a 30W x 1-chaneel amplifier powers the 4" midbass woofer.
- Multiple Drivers: The W7 features a total of four 1" aluminum dome tweeters; two front-firing and two side-firing (opposite sides). The W7 also combines a front-firing 4" midbass woofer with two side-firing 4" passive radiators (opposite sides) for deep, detailed midbass.
Definitive Technology Wireless Collection: The W7 is part of Definitive Technology's Wireless Collection which is wireless solution for distributing music anywhere in your home or office. Stream select online music services, Internet radio, and your personal digital music library all from your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Note: Due to bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, Definitive Technology does not recommend more than 16 wireless Play-Fi devices on the same WiFi network at a given time.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Definitive Technology W7 is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to hardwire the speaker to your home's network router. The W7 also features built-in WiFi (802.11 g/n; 2.4/5.0GHz) for a wireless connection to your home network.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Definitive Technology's Wireless Collection employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi speaker to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the free Definitive Technology App on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
Definitive Technology App: Download the free Definitive Technology App onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) device, Android (4.0+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Definitive Technology wireless system, as well as add, link, and control all your Definitive Technology Wireless Collection and DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple Wireless Collection series and DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: The Definitive Technology Wireless Collection supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream your music files from your music library on your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.2+) device to the Definitive Technology Wireless collection system through the free Definitive Technology app.
- Online Music Services: From the free Definitive Technology app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, Songza, Rhapsody, and Internet Radio.
- Computer Music Library: The Definitive Technology wireless system is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. Use the free Definitive Technology app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The W7 is fitted with a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input and a optical (toslink) digital input. The minijack input will accommodate any analog source with a analog or headphone output. The optical digital input lets you connect your digital audio device (2ch PCM only). These inputs can only be played back at the speaker location and cannot be used for a multiroom application.
Stereo Pair: The Definitive Technology App (for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, or Windows PC 7-up) lets you link two W7 speakers together to create a stereo image with discrete left and right speakers. This is perfect for larger spaces or for the enthusiast who wants a stereo image. After you setup a stereo pair, the two W7 speakers will show up as one "Speaker" under the speaker tab of the Definitive Technology.
Wireless Surround: You can use a pair of the W7 wireless speakers (all sold separately) as rear surround speakers with Defintive Technology's W Microbar soundbar (735MCROBAR, sold separately) to create a more enveloping home theater system. Use the Definitive Technology App (for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, or Windows PC 7-up) to configure the rear speakers to your wireless network and sync them with the W Studio Micro soundbar.
Cube Design: Definitive Technology's W7 features a "Cube" shape design which makes a strong visual impression with its bold, minimalist compact shape that easily tucks into the corner of your kitchen counter, bookshelf, or credenza.
AC Power Adapter: The Definitive Technology W7 wireless speaker operates off of standard household current using the included 5.5' AC power cord (100-240V~50/60Hz, 2A) .
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.