Definitive Technology W Amp
Amplified wireless music player with DTS Play-Fi®
| Watch a first-look video |
Definitive Technology W series wireless system
Definitive Technology Wireless Music System
From Definitive Technology: How to set up the W Amp with Android Device
From Definitive Technology: How to set up W Amp with iOS Device
Our take on the Definitive Technology W Amp by Crutchfield's David Brown
Add wireless music capability to any pair of stereo speakers with the compact W Amp.
Give new life to your old stereo speakers
There's nothing sadder than a good pair of speakers sitting idle. Give them a purpose by connecting them to the Definitive Technology W Amp. Not only will it reawaken your speakers' spirits with its beefy amplification, it also adds the streaming music capability of Definitive Technology's W wireless music system. Stream tunes from smartphones, tablets, computers, and online music services. Expand your system by adding speakers or components to other rooms. Stream the same song everywhere or a different tune in every room. It all operates on your existing Wi-Fi® network and is easy to control with an app on your phone or tablet. Your speakers will sound very, very happy.
Play loads of music wirelessly with your smartphone or tablet
The Definitive Technology W Amp offers lots of ways to listen to music. A free app for Apple® and Android™ is your hub for accessing music stored on your smartphone or tablet. You can also stream music from networked computers and music servers. If you're one of the millions of Spotify® Premium subscribers, Spotify Connect lets you access all your favorite albums and playlists. There's built-in support for Pandora® Internet radio and SiriusXM. Plus, you can choose from over 37,000 free Internet radio streams, for a nearly endless supply of music and other programming.
Play-Fi® turns every smartphone into its own music system
The key to the Definitive Technology W Amp's wireless music capability is Play-Fi. Developed by audio innovator DTS, Play-Fi allows you to send the same song to multiple speakers, play a different song in every room, or let each member of the family control speakers independently with their own device. Play-Fi can transmit lossless audio at CD quality to up to 16 speakers or components on your network. Best of all, the W Amp can work with other Play-Fi speakers and components from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers, offering more flexibility than closed systems.
Analog and digital inputs let you connect other sources for music and audio, like a disc player or even a TV, to the W Amp for playback through your connected speakers.
Connect other sources for more music
The W Amp's rear panel has more than just binding posts to connect your stereo speakers. There are digital and analog inputs, allowing you to connect other components like a CD player, TV, turntable (with a phono stage), or a Blu-ray player. If you want more bass to augment your bookshelf speakers, there's a preamp output for a powered subwoofer. There's also an Ethernet switch, for passing through network connections to other devices like a streaming media player.
Easy wireless setup
The sleek, compact W Amp is simple to set up using your existing Wi-Fi® network. Download the free Definitive Technology app to your Apple or Android device. It will walk you through the quick wireless setup procedure, so you can start enjoying streaming music through your stereo in minutes.
Explore more Definitive Technology W products and build your whole-house music system
W7 - Compact size, great sound, easy wireless music listening with your smartphone or tablet.
W9 - Huge, spacious sound and deep bass make this a formidable wireless speaker.
W Adapt - Add wireless music to your existing stereo.
W Amp - Connect a pair of speakers to this amplified wireless player.
W Studio - This sound bar and subwoofer bring wireless music to your home theater.
- built-in stereo amplifier: 150 watts x 2 into 4 ohms
- DTS Play-Fi software allows amp to communicate with other Definitive Technology W devices, as well as other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Definitive Technology/Play-Fi app for Apple and Android devices offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone or tablet
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- Dolby® Digital decoding
- source select, play/pause, and volume buttons
- rack-mountable with included brackets
- AC adapter included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Connections and Dimensions:
- binding post speaker terminals
- LFE preamp output for connecting a powered subwoofer
- optical digital audio input
- stereo RCA inputs
- line-level stereo RCA outputs
- 3.5mm AUX input for connecting an iPod or other portable music player
- Ethernet input/output switch for connecting other network-capable components
- USB port for firmware updates and phone charging
- 8-1/2"W x 1-3/4"H x 9"D
- requires high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi router and an Apple or Android smartphone or tablet
What's in the Box:
- Wireless amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 2 Small brackets
- Large bracket
- Bracket plate
- 4 Screws
- Self-adhesive rubber pad
- Setup Guide
- Important Product Information
- Rubber Pad instructions
Awesome product. Super easy to install and connect to the iPhone. Streamed Pandora and played the songs on my phone perfectly. It's powering two AW5500 Def Tech speakers. PLus with the $250 off with the purchase, you can't go wrong. Highly recommend
Jared, Holliston, MA
W Amp Wireless Amplifier: Definitive Technology's W Amp allows you to add wireless music streaming to your favorite pair of bookshelf speakers. The W Amp features a built-in stereo amplifier with digital signal processing for great sound at any volume level.
Definitive Technology Wireless Collection: The W Amp is part of Definitive Technology's Wireless Collection which is wireless solution for distributing music anywhere in your home or office. Stream select online music services, Internet radio, and your personal digital music library all from your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Note: Due to bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, Definitive Technology does not recommend more than 16 wireless Play-Fi devices on the same WiFi network at a given time.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Definitive Technology W Amp is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to hardwire the amplifier to your home's network router. The W Amp also features built-in WiFi (802.11 g/n; 2.4/5.0GHz) for a wireless connection to your home network.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Definitive Technology's Wireless Collection employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers and devices, or choosing more than one audio brand (like Polk, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi W Amp to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the free Definitive Technology App on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi devices at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the W Amp t if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
Definitive Technology App: Download the free Definitive Technology App onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) device, Android (4.0+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Definitive Technology wireless system, as well as add, link, and control all your Definitive Technology Wireless Collection and DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple Wireless Collection series and DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: The Definitive Technology Wireless Collection supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream your music files from your music library on your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.2+) device to the Definitive Technology Wireless collection system through the free Definitive Technology app.
- Online Music Services: From the free Definitive Technology app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, Songza, Rhapsody, and Internet Radio.
- Computer Music Library: The Definitive Technology wireless system is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. Use the free Definitive Technology app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi device and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Stereo Amplifier: The W Amp wireless amplifier has a peak power rating of 75 watts x 2 channels in 8Ω (150 watts x 2 channel in 4Ω). It also includes customized EQ settings (via the Definitive Technology App) for optimizing the performance when used with Definitive Technology loudspeakers.
Analog & Digital Connectivity: The Wireless Collection series W Amp is fitted both both analog and digital inputs for flexible connectivity.
- Dual Analog Inputs: The wireless amplifier features two rear-panel analog audio inputs. There is a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input for connection of almost any external portable audio device with a analog audio output or headphone jack. There is also a stereo RCA input for connection of a CD player or Phono preamp.
- Digital Input: The W Amp also offers a optical (toslink) digital input for connection of your Blu-ray player, Satellite receiver, or Game system. The digital input supports 2ch PCM and Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch) audio.
Binding-Post Speaker Terminals: The Definitive Technology W Amp is fitted with four binding-post speaker terminals to connect a single pair of speakers. The binding-post terminals will accept bare-wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual).
Sub Output: The W Amp wireless amplifier also features a mono-RCA subwoofer output for connection of a powered sub (sold separately). The amp's sub out is full-range, so you will need a powered subwoofer with a built-in crossover.
AC Power: The Definitive Technology W Amp wireless amplifier operates off of standard household current using the integrated AC power supply and included 6' detachable AC power cord.
Mounting Options: The W Amp wireless amplifier can be table-top mounted using its integrated rubber feet, or rack-mounted via the included brackets.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.