Manual belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted cartridge
Our take on the NAD C556 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Vinyl is for music lovers
You can always count on NAD to deliver the goods when it comes to no-nonsense audio gear for music enthusiasts. Their C 556 turntable is no exception. This 'table makes an excellent choice for vinyl newcomers and seasoned audiophiles alike who want outstanding sound quality without spending a fortune. NAD's minimalist design philosophy focuses strictly on the features that benefit sonic performance, without any unnecessary bells and whistles. Why not discover for yourself why audiophiles remain so enthusiastic about warm, detailed analog sound?
Why does it sound so good?
The C 556's sturdy chassis rests on shock-absorbing rubber feet that provide a solid, vibration-resistant foundation. Its pressure-cast resin platter is both inert and massive, ideal for suppressing non-musical resonances and acting as a flywheel to reduce speed variations. The platter spins on a special bronze and stainless steel bearing assembly for smooth, silent rotation. The motor mount and belt drive system are designed to isolate the motor's vibration from the chassis to prevent noise from being transferred to the cartridge. Finally, the table's hand-built aluminum alloy tonearm glides on precision bearings at the gimbal pivot point, and includes a cueing lever to gently raise and lower the arm — protecting both the stylus and your records.
Easy to enjoy
NAD makes it easy to enjoy your vinyl right away. That's why the C 556 comes out of the box virtually ready to play. Its pre-matched, factory-mounted phono cartridge and tonearm take the guesswork out of installation, and give you optimized sound quality with minimal effort. A few simple steps to dial in key settings like tracking force and anti-skating are all it takes to get this player primed and ready to deliver spacious, detailed music.
- pressure-cast phenolic resin platter with felt mat provides excellent speed stability and protects records from scratches
- precision bronze and stainless steel ball bearing for smooth, quiet platter rotation
- hand-built aluminum alloy tonearm with precision gimbal pivot bearings
- includes pre-mounted Audio-Technica AT91BL moving magnet cartridge
- magnetic anti-skate bias control
- three anti-vibration feet
- high-torque synchronous-clock motor decoupled from base for reduced vibration transmission and better sound
- manual operation with tonearm lift
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds
- frequency range (with included cartridge): 20-20,000 Hz
- channel separation (with included cartridge): 20dB at 1kHz
- attached 41" RCA audio cable
- weight: 8.8 lbs.
- 17-7/16"W x 4-1/2"H (with dust cover down) x 14-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires a phono preamp or phono input on receiver or preamplifier
What's in the Box:
- Turntable chassis
- Tone-Arm (installed)
- Cartridge (installed)
- Spindle (installed)
- Belt (installed)
- Dust cover
- Felt pad
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Cartridge Alignment Protractor
Features and Specs
|45 RPM Adapter||No|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not given|
|Wow and Flutter||Not given|
Turntable: The NAD C 556 Turntable will make your vinyl record collection sound lush, vibrant and spacious. The secret to a good sounding turntable is to make a rock solid mechanical connection between the platter and the pickup stylus. Any play or vibration will either add resonant coloration (making the smack of a snare drum sound like a thud) or subtract the fine detail that is the primary benefit of well-played vinyl. To achieve this goal NAD uses special materials and techniques. With its minimalist design, NAD's C 556 Turntable offers accurate reproduction of vinyl music by using performance-focused parts and components that put music first.
High Quality Mechanisms: The three mechanisms that make up a turntable are the platter that supports and spins the record; the tone arm, which allows the stylus to accurately track the record; and the cartridge, which transforms the vibrations in the record groove into the electrical signals that are sent to your preamplifier.
- Rigid Platter: The platter of the C 556 uses a special phenolic resin that is pressure cast to create the ideal properties of being both massive and inert. The mass creates a "flywheel effect" that eliminates small, and very unmusical, speed variations called wow and flutter. The mass also rejects unwanted external vibrations, and combined with the extreme hardness of the phenolic material, suppresses vibrations in the audible range. This massive platter requires a precision low friction bearing to allow smooth and stable revolving motion. A special bronze body with a stainless steel ball bearing provides a point-perfect contact with the hardened steel shaft of the platter assembly. This is the ideal design for minimal friction, and a complete elimination of any play or "wobble". The bearing is firmly connected to the rigid and well-damped base that provides a rigid connection to the tone arm. A precision synchronous clock motor keeps the platter spinning at exactly 33 1/3 RPM and its own vibrations are carefully isolated from the platter by a synthetic rubber belt and from the base by rubber isolation mountings.
- Hand-Built Tone Arm: The tone arm must have the lowest possible mass while still maintaining a rigid, vibration-free connection to the record. To achieve this contradictory goal, the C 556 uses a hand-built arm featuring an alloy tube and precision bearings at the gimbal pivot. A simple counter weight balance is combined with a magnetic anti-skate bias control to make for a friction-free pivot that allows the cartridge to operate in an ideal environment.
- Pre-Mounted Cartridge: The pre-mounted Audio-technica AT91BL cartridge (MM) lets you enjoy high quality sound with outstanding clarity and detail. The AT91BL features a conical stylus and robust housing for reliable, long lasting performance. The included cartridge is aligned at the factory for perfect tracking and easy setup,
Tailored Speeds: To further reduce speed inconsistencies and wear on the drive belt, you can modify and change the playing speed of your vinyl records. By removing the platter, you can move the belt to either the 33 or 45 rpm wheel of the drive pulley to attain the correct pitch of a musical track.
Attached Output Cable: The NAD C 556 Turntable is fitted with an attached 41" stereo RCA cable. Connect the turntable to the Phono input of your home receiver. If your home receiver is not equipped with a Phono input, you will need to purchase an external phono-preamplifier (such as the NAD's phono-preamps, sold separately).
Dust Cover: The NAD C556 comes supplied with a dust cover to prevent dust build-up on the turntable.
- Drive System: Belt drive
- Motor: High torque synchronous motor
- Speed: 33.3 and 45.1 rpm
- Suspension System: 3 energy absorbent synthetic rubber feet
- Operation: Manual
- Length: 289mm total length; 244mm pivot to stylus
- Effective Mass: 9 grams
- Overhang: 19.1 mm
- Cable Capacitance: 150-400pF
- Recommended Load Resistance: 47 kohms
- Recommended Load Capacitance: 200-600 pF
- Internal Inductance: 450 mH
- Internal Impedance, DC Resistance: 750 ohms
- Cartridge Weight: 5.8 grams
- Tracking Foruce: 1.4 - 2.5 grams
- Replacement Stylus Unit: User replaceable
- Dust Cover Down: 17.4375" (w) x 4.5" (h) x 14.25" (d)
- Dust Cover Up: 17.4375" (w) x x 15.875" (h) x 16.75" (d)
- Weight: 15.4 lbs
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Manual belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted cartridge
Automatic belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted cartridge and built-in phono preamp
Music Hall MMF-1.5
Manual belt-drive turntable with built-in phono preamp
Manual belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted moving magnet phono cartridge