Powered home theatre sound bar with wireless subwoofer and Bluetooth®
Our take on the Yamaha YAS-203 by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Sometimes simple is best
The Yamaha YAS-203 sound bar features a stylish piano black finish.
Looking for an easy, effective way to add some excitement to movies and shows? The slim, elegant YAS-203 from Yamaha vastly improves the sound of your TV, and it looks great doing it. The sound bar's built-in full-range drivers dish out solid stereo sound, and you can engage Yamaha's Air Surround Xtreme virtual surround sound for more spacious effects. The potent wireless subwoofer goes anywhere you want — just plug it into an AC outlet. Bottom line: when the soundtrack designer decides to "go big" with pulse-pounding effects, so will this system.
Bluetooth compatibility, with a twist
If you have a Bluetooth-compatible smartphone, this sound bar offers a couple of very cool features. The first is wireless music streaming, so you can use the YAS-203 to enjoy your favorite tunes — great for MP3s stored on your device or streaming music from services like Pandora® Internet radio and Spotify. But Yamaha takes Bluetooth a step further than most sound bars: download the free Yamaha Home Theater Controller app to your Apple® or Android™ smartphone and use it as a remote. It lets you select your input and choose from different surround modes.
Simple setup and operation
One cable is likely all you'll need to connect the YAS-203 to your TV to bypass its built-in speakers for room-filling sound. Choose from optical digital (included), coaxial digital, and RCA cables to connect your TV and start hearing movies and TV shows the way they were meant to sound. The included remote can learn your TV's power and volume commands. And a built-in IR repeater on the bar means that your TV remote will still work, even if the bar blocks the TV's infrared receiver.
Control the YAS-203 with your Apple® or Android™ smartphone.
- built-in amplifiers: 50 watts x 2 for front L/R drivers, 100 watts for subwoofer
- two-channel sound bar with two 2-1/8" full-range drivers
- wireless subwoofer with 6-1/2" front-firing woofer
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- Dolby Digital and DTS decoding
- Yamaha's Air Surround Xtreme produces virtual 7.1-channel surround sound for a more immersive listening experience
- Clear Voice processing for clearer-sounding dialogue
- UniVolume maintains steady sound levels, eliminating unwanted bursts from commercials
- free downloadable Yamaha Home Theater Controller app for Apple and Android lets you control the bar via Bluetooth with your smartphone
- rests on a TV stand (removable feet included) or can be mounted on a wall (mounting screws not included)
- rear built-in remote flasher ensures that commands are transmitted to your TV
- system learns TV remote commands for single-remote use
- remote control
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Connections and Dimensions:
- digital inputs: 1 optical (cable included), 1 coaxial
- 1 pair of stereo RCA inputs
- sound bar: 34-7/8"W x 3-11/16"H x 4-9/16"D (with removable feet)
- subwoofer: 11-3/8"W x 11-7/16"H x 12-1/2"D
- weight: 6.4 lbs. sound bar, 17.9 lbs. subwoofer
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker (YAS-CU203)
- Wireless powered subwoofer (NS-WS41)
- Remote control (FSR71)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 5' Optical digital cable
- 2 Feet
- 2 Screws
- Owner's Manual
- Wall-mount template
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration Information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Outstanding sound quality and a great value. The setup took less than 20 minutes. The directions manual was clear and very useful. Very happy
Jon, Midland, MI
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Midrange||2.125" cone (2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||No|
|Remote IR Passthrough||Yes|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|System Frequency Response||35-22k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||100|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||3-11/16H x 34-7/8W x 4-9/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6.4 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||11-7/16H x 11-3/8W x 12-1/2D|
|Subwoofer Weight||17.9 lbs|
YAS Front Surround System: The Yamaha YAS-203 is a two-component home theater system composed of an active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer that produces a 200-watts of total power. The soundbar speaker with AirSurround Xtreme technology and the wireless powered subwoofer delivers virtual surround sound from a simple to setup two-component speaker system. The Yamaha YAS-203 is a great addition to your flat-panel TV, replacing your television's speaker with rich, virtual surround sound. The soundbar's front-panel and top have a glossy "piano black" finish that harmonizes beautifully with today's flat-panel TVs, while the wireless powered subwoofer can be hidden out of sight for a stylishly compact home theater system.
Active Soundbar Speaker: The soundbar speaker houses a 50-watt x 2-channel digital amp and two 2.125" full-range drivers with large magnets to ensure high sound clarity. Its superb structural design allows high capacity cabinet volume for very powerful and clear sound, even though the body is very slim. The grilles protecting the speaker unit is a saran net that allows unimpeded sound flow. All sounds, including vocals and music, are clear and pleasant.
- Air Surround Xtreme Technology: The slim, low-profile soundbar speaker employs the latest Air Surround Xtreme technologies from Yamaha. Yamaha's exclusive Air Surround Xtreme technology reproduces virtual surround sound with high quality, excellent imaging, and rich presence; far superior to that of the speakers in your TV. You'll experience an extremely realistic and impressive sound field, with clear dialogue in the front and dynamic sound action at the back and sides. This system can also be set to Stereo.
- Table-Top or Wall-Mount: The soundbar speaker fits easily into the available space you have above or below your television. With a height of only 3.875" (with feet), the soundbar speaker can be easily positioned in front of your TV so the soundbar straddles the TV stand, using the included feet. You can also hang the soundbar speaker on the wall, using the two integrated key-hole slots (spaced 18" apart) on back of the speaker. A wall-mounting template is provided (wall-mount hardware and screws not provided). The soundbar speaker measures 3.0" in height without feet.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The YAS-203 includes a wireless powered subwoofer that houses 6.5" woofer inside a bass-reflex cabinet powered by a built-in 100-watt amplifier. This 6.5" subwoofer features a large magnet and a front-firing configuration, while the port is side-firing. The 100W amp's circuit board has an ideal grounding pattern that ensures stable current supply for deep, accurate bass output every time. This subwoofer is capable of delivering powerful movie effect sounds and rich, deep bass.
- Advanced Yamaha Active Servo Technology II (A-YST): The powered sub's high sound quality design takes advantage of Yamaha's proprietary Advanced YST and a Linear Port to produce deep and smooth bass. Advanced Yamaha Active Servo Technology (Advanced YST) is a unique system in which the speaker and amplifier work together to cancel out impedance so the speaker unit has a perfectly linear motion. Advanced YST helps to ensure the highest levels of sound pressure and overall performance.
- Independent Bass Control: You can adjust the soundbar speaker's subwoofer volume independent from the speaker's main volume for added bass response.
- Wireless Connectivity: Because the powered subwoofer is wireless, it does not need a wired connection to the soundbar, so setup and placement is faster and easier. However, it will still need an AC power outlet connection. The wireless sub can be positioned up to 33' from the soundbar.
Dolby Digital/DTS Compatible: The YAS-203 home theater system is compatible with popular surround sound formats, such as Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Surround, so you get the full effect of multichannel movie sound.
Audio Enhancements: The Yamaha YAS-203 system offers a variety of audio settings to enhance your listening experience.
- Bass Extension: Yamaha's exclusive bass boost technology which produces powerful bass.
- Clear Voice: The Clear Voice function raises the level of dialog and narrations while maintaining overall sound quality. Movies, TV shows, sports commentary, and news broadcasts are more clearly audible.
- UniVolume: UniVolume is a Yamaha-developed technology that maintains a consistent volume level between different channels, programs, commercials, and input sources. For instance, when watching TV while using UniVolume, the volume of commercials will not be louder than the program being viewed. The same is true when switching sources to watch a DVD or Blu-ray movie, or to listen to music on CD. This is particularly helpful for late night watching and listening when spikes in volume can disturb others in the house or apartment building. This feature can be switched On or Off.
- Audio Delay: This technology adjusts the timing of the picture and dialog, so they are always in sync with one another.
Digital + Analog Connections: The Yamaha YAS-203 is equipped with one optical (toslink) digital input, one coaxial (RCA) digital input, and one analog stereo (RCA) input. The optical and coaxial digital inputs support up to 5.1ch multichannel audio and are compatible with Dolby Digital & DTS..
Note: The digital optical output terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Yamaha YAS0203 features built-in Bluetooth (v2.1+EDR) for wireless connection to your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Blackberry, Windows PC, Mac Computer, and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, or computer to the Yamaha soundbar speaker system. You will still control your music and view song/artist information from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
- aptX Playback: In addition to standard Bluetooth SBC playback, the YAS-203 also employs AptX audio coding technology for lossless, CD-quality streaming with compatible aptX-compatible smartphones (like Android 4.0+).
- Multi-Device Pairing: Up to 8 devices can be paired, but only one device can be used at a time.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha YAS-203.
Remote App: Download Yamaha's free Home Theater Controller app for Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (2.3.3+) to easily perform a variety of functions from your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android smartphone/tablet. Basic functions include Input Selection and Volume Up/Down. You can also use the app to choose between five surround modes - Movie, Sports, Game, Music, or TV program.
Note: This remote app requires an active Bluetooth wireless connection between the Yamaha soundbar system and your Apple or Android mobile device.
Remote Control: The YAS-203's IR remote control is simple and easy to use. It lets you turn the power On or Off, adjust the volume, and do other basic operations.
- Learn Functions: The YAS-203 also has the ability to "learn" the TV remote control operation, so you can use the TV remote control to turn the YAS-203 On or Off, and to adjust its volume. This allows you to use either the TV remote or the Yamaha remote for easy operation.
- IR Pass-Through: Even if the soundbar speaker blocks the TV's remote control signal, the IR flasher on the back of the soundbar transmits the signal to the TV so operation is not affected.
Auto-Sleep Function: The system will automatically turn off when there is no operation for 8 hours, or no audio input and no operation for 20 minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.