About the Bose® Portable Home Speaker
Big sound indoors and out
Big sound indoors and out
The Bose® Portable Home Speaker is moisture-resistant for outdoor use.
The Bose® Portable Home Speaker is designed to create a spacious, 360° soundfield — indoors or out. It's a great Bluetooth speaker when you're out and about. And when it's in your home connected to your Wi-Fi® network, it's even better.
That's when you can use Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa voice commands to control the Portable Home Speaker. And it can be part of your Bose® Smart Home wireless multi-room audio system.
Bose Music app for single- and multi-room use
The free Bose Music app turns your smartphone or tablet into a powerful remote. It provides simple, step-by-step instructions for setting up your Portable Home Speaker, and it gives you full control over this and any other compatible Bose Smart Home speakers in your system. Each speaker can play something different, or you can group speakers together to play the same source simultaneously.
Simple, hands-on control
The app is great, but you don't have to carry a smartphone around with you at all times. A top-mounted mic-mute button lets you disable voice control for privacy, without affecting speaker operation. You can easily control volume, play, pause and skip tracks right from the speaker itself.
Compatible with Apple® AirPlay 2
The Portable Home Speaker has Apple AirPlay 2 built in. That means you can stream audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix movies.
- connects to your Wi-Fi network for wireless music listening
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay® 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- microphone array for clear voice pickup
- top-mounted mic-disable button
General voice control functions (common to both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant):
- volume, play, pause, skip and repeat functions
- get weather reports, news updates, time, sports and stock reports
- select streaming music services such as Spotify, Pandora, and Deezer (subscriptions required for some services)
- select radio stations through iHeartRadio or TuneIn Radio
- control compatible smart home products
Amazon Alexa functions:
- Amazon Alexa app control
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- volume, play, pause, skip and repeat functions
- access to Alexa skills, such as weather reports, smart home commands, and more
Google Assistant functions:
- Google Home app control
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- set alarms, start timers, and add items to your shopping list
- control select streaming music services
Bose Music app:
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- support for online music services, including Amazon Music, Spotify Premium, Pandora, Deezer Premium, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and SiriusXM (subscriptions required for some services)
- expand your multi-room system with additional Bose smart speakers and sound bars
- remote control of each connected compatible Bose component
- play the same song through multiple speakers or different songs in different rooms
- simple app-based setup using your mobile device
- ultra-efficient transducer down-firing into an acoustic deflector for 360° room-filling sound
- IPX4-rated water-resistant
- built-in rechargeable battery lasts up to 12 hours
- wall charger and USB-C power cord
- 4-13/16"W x 7-9/16"H x 4-3/8"D
- weight: 4.09 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 829393-1300
What's in the box:
Bose® Portable Home Speaker owner's manual
- Portable wireless speaker
- USB/AC power adapter
- 59" USB-C cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
Bose® Portable Home Speaker reviews
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Bose® Portable Home Speaker
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5GHz|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||Not given|
|Apple AirPlay 2||Yes|
|Bose Home Speaker||Yes|
|Apple Music||AirPlay 2|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
FeaturesPortable Design: The Bose Portable Home Speaker features a durable & water-resistant design, a 12 hour rechargeable battery, and a convenient carry handle - so you can take it with you outside and on the go.
- Durable & Water-Resistant: The Bose Portable Home Speaker is engineered to withstand bumps, drops, sprays, and splashes. The Portable Home Speaker is IPx4 water resistant, so you can get it wet with splashes and sprays (the speaker should not be submerged in water or left permanently outside).
- Rechargeable Battery: The rechargeable battery can last up to 12 hours during playback (depends on what type of music content and at what volume level) and last up to 24 hours in standby mode. It will last up to a month when turned completely off during storage. A voice prompt will annouce the battery level or the battery level can be checked in the Bose Music app. It takes 4 hours to full charge the battery using the included USB/AC power adapter. There is also a proprietary Bose Charging Cradle (sold separately) that can be used to charge the speaker's battery.
Spacious 360-Degree Sound: An ultra-efficient, high-excursion transducer aims downward into an acoustic deflector to radiate rich sound uniformly in every direction, while three passive radiators deepen the bass by increasing the vibrating surface area. It produces surprisingly spacious audio; including deep, rich bass, that spreads evenly in all directions so it envelops you from every angle. You can adjust the speaker's Bass & Treble through the Bose Music app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Multiroom Audio: The Bose Portable Home Speaker is part of a new family of Smart Home speakers and soundbars from Bose that can be used to create a wireless multiroom audio system over your home's WiFi network. You can start with one Bose Portable Home Speaker and add more Bose Smart Home speakers and soundbars (including the Bose Home Speaker 300, Bose Home Speaker 500, Bose Portable Home Speaker, Bose Soundbar 300, Bose Soundbar 500, Bose Soundbar 700, and Bose Soundbar 900) to create a wireless multiroom audio system in your home.
- Compatible Multiroom Audio Sources: Internet radio, select online music services, Bluetooth audio, and analog Aux inputs can be listened to on a single speaker or multiple speakers.
- Number of Audio Zones: You can create up to 4 audio zones. Each zone can be set to play the same audio source or set to play a different audio sources. You can also group different zones together.
Note: The family of Bose Smart Home speakers and soundbars is not compatible with the family of Bose SoundTouch products.
Built-in WiFi: The Bose Portable Home Speaker offers built-in, dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11ac) to wirelessly connect the speaker to your home network. The Portable Home Speaker's WiFi network connection can be setup initially from the Bose Music app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device.
Note: The Bose Portable Home Speaker does not offer a wired Ethernet connection to your network.
Bose Music App: The Bose Music app (for Apple iOS 10.3+ and Android OS 5.1+) lets you set up and control compatible Bose smart speakers and soundbars from your Apple iOS or Android device. It works with one or many of the new Bose family of smart speakers and soundbars. Using the app, your mobile device acts as a remote for the speaker. From the app, you can stream music, set and change presets, add music services, explore internet radio stations, configure Alexa and manage speaker settings.
- Music Control: The Bose Music app lets you browse and play the music you love from Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, SiriusXM, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and more from your Apple iOS or Android device. The Bose Music app also makes it easy to set your favorite playlists or stations as presets (up to 6 presets), so you can access them effortlessly.
- Multi-Room/Multi-Source: The Bose Music app lets you control one or multiple Bose Smart Speakers and Soundbars in your home. You can play the same music throughout your home or listen to different music in different areas.
- Audio Settings: The Bose Music app can be used to control volume level and adjust the speaker's Bass & Treble level.
- Multiple Users: The Bose Music app lets multiple users personalize their experience and control their content. One person can quickly access their Spotify playlist, while another easily listens to the latest podcast. Now it's simple for the whole household to enjoy their favorite music and more.
- Simple Setup: The Bose Music app also makes setup easy, walking you through each step. Simply download the Bose Music app on your device, plug in the speaker, and open the app to get started. The app will guide you through setting up your account on the speaker, adding your account information for your favorite music services, and adding Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant to the product.
Voice Control with Custom Microphone Array: The integration of Alexa and Google Assistant with the Bose family of Smart Speakers will support the vast majority of Alexa and Google Assistant functionality; including music playback, control of smart home devices, setting timers and alarms, and general information requests. Just under the surface of the Bose Portable Home Speaker's top-panel is a custom-designed, proprietary multi-microphone array that is precisely positioned for accurate near-field and far-field voice pickup. You can rest assured that the Bose Portable Home Speaker will hear you even when there is a lot of noise in the background, your music is playing loud, or you are across the room.
- Music Control: Currently you can ask Alexa or Google to play music from Pandora, iHeartRadio, Deezer and TuneIn on a specific speaker, a group of speakers, or all speakers. Alexa voice control is also supported by Amazon Music and SiriusXM. Once your music is playing, you can also ask Alexa or Google "what is playing", "turn volume up or down", "skip to the next track", "go to the previous track", or "stop music".
- Smart Home Skills: Various Alexa and Google Assistant smart home device skills work through the Bose Portable Home Speaker, its built-in microphones and the integration of Alexa. For example, you can ask Alexa or Google - "set my smart thermostat to 72 degrees" or "turn off the lights".
- News & Information: Use the Bose smart speaker to ask Alexa or Google about world & local news, traffic, weather, sports, and other topics or events.
- Alarms & Timers: You can use Alexa or Google to set timers and alarms. Timers & alarms are only done through Alexa or Google and corresponding app, not through the Bose Music app or controls on the Bose Portable Home Speaker.
- You can only use one digital assistant; you must choose between Alexa or Google (you cannot use both). There are certain Alexa & Google skills that the Bose Portable Home Speaker does not support; such as Hands-Free Calling & Messaging. Alexa & Google Assistant is not available in all languages and countries.
- The use of a virtual assistant is optional; you can initiate music from the Bose Music app and other sources without using Alexa. The option to enable Alexa can be declined in setup and revisited at any time. You can also remove Alexa from the speaker at any time via the settings menu of the Bose Music app. And when Alexa is installed, the microphones may be turned off at any time with the microphone off button on the speaker.
- The microphones on the Bose Portable Home Speaker may be turned off with a single tap of the microphone off button on the top of the speaker. This button completely cuts power to the microphones so Alexa and Google will not hear any commands. For security reasons, it is not possible to use a voice command or the Bose Music app to turn the microphones on or off; only a physical button press can control the microphones. When the microphones are off, this button will always be backlit with a red LED light.
Online Music Services: The Bose Portable Home Speaker can play music directly from streaming music services over WiFi, controlled either by the Bose Music app (for Apple iOS and Android), or Amazon Alexa/Google Assistant through the built-in microphones. These music services can be controlled from the Bose Music App (for Apple iOS and Android) and Alexa or Google through the built-in mics. Basic playback functions such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track can be done from the unit's top-panel controls. Song/artist information (including Album Art) will be displayed on the speaker's LCD screen.
- TuneIn: TuneIn includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- Pandora: Pandora is personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- Spotify Connect: Spotify Connect enables Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the speaker from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- iHeart Radio: iHeart Radio: is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- Amazon Music: Listen to over a million songs, thousands of playlists, and ad-free personalized stations with Amazon Music. Requires an Amazon Prime membership (currently $10.99 per month or $99 per year). You can also upload your personal music collection from iTunes or Google Play Music to your music library on Amazon and then stream your music to the Bose Smart Home speaker.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Bose Smart Home speaker system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Bose Portable Home Speaker. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Bose Smart Home speaker system.
Note: AirPlay 2 does not support multiroom audio distribution via Bose Smart Home. Multiroom audio distribution can only be done with other AirPlay 2 compatible devices (sold separately).
Built-in Bluetooth: The Bose Portable Home Speaker offers built-in support for wireless audio playback (A2DP) and control (AVRCP), plus the option to stream the same audio from the Bose Home Speaker 300 to a single Bluetooth-enabled Bose noise cancelling headphone or Bose SoundLink speaker via SimpleSync technology and the Bose Music App.
- Bluetooth Audio Streaming: With built-in Bluetooth, the Bose Portable Home Speaker can wirelessly play back stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. You can pair eight Bluetooth source devices to the speaker, but only one can be actively connected and used for playback at a time. The unit's top-panel controls can be used to control basic playback (such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next track); Alexa or Google cannot be used to control Bluetooth audio sources. The speaker has a Bluetooth wireless range of approximately 30'.
- Bose SimpleSync: Bose SimpleSync allows you to pair a member of the Bose Home Speaker family (such as the Portable Home Speaker) with a single Bose SoundLink portable Bluetooth speaker or a Bose noise cancelling headphone (all sold separately - see Accessories Tab) for playback of the same audio signal. Use the Bose Music app on your Apple iOS or Android device to setup and enable SimpleSync. SimpleSync then provides a one-to-one connection for a maximum of two Bose products (the Portable Home Speaker and a SoundLink speaker or noise cancelling headphone). The two products must remain within typical Bluetooth wireless range (30') of each other to stay connected. You'll be able to listen to the same audio signal from the Portable Home Speaker on a connected Bose SoundLink speaker or noise cancelling headphone (you cannot listen to different sources). You can choose to listen on both the Portable Home Speaker and the SoundLink speaker or noise cancelling headphone at the same time with independent volume control; or just one speaker or the headphone.
- Bluetooth audio streaming can be done without utilizing WiFi, the Bose Music app, Google Assistant, or Alexa. However, the Bose Music app is required for Bose SimpleSync.
- You cannot wirelessly stream Bluetooth audio to the Bose Home Speaker and use SimpleSync at the same time. You can only sync audio from the Bose Home Speaker to a single Bluetooth speaker or headphone; not from the Bluetooth speaker or headphone to the Bose Home Speaker.
- The Bose Portable Home Speaker does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making or answering phone calls
Top-Panel Controls: The Bose Portable Home Speaker features capacitive touch controls on the top-panel for easy access to frequently used controls such as Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Bluetooth, Mic On/Off, and Action (Alexa or Google).
Mounting Options: The Bose Portable Home Speaker has been designed to simply sit on a flat table-top surface and comes with a convenient carry handle. There are no brackets, threaded inserts, or keyhole slots provided to wall mount the speaker.
AC Power Adapter: In addition to its built-in rechargeable battery, the Bose Portable Home Speaker can also be powered using the included USB/AC power adapter and 59" USB-C cable. While the speaker is plugged into AC power, the built-in battery will be charged.
Auto Standby: The Bose Home Speaker 300 transitions to Network Standby when audio has stopped and you have not pressed any buttons for 20 or more minutes. To wake the speaker from network standby, simply tap any button on the speaker, play/resume audio using your mobile device and the Bose Music app, or talk to Alexa. The unit will automatically go into full Standby mode after no audio or control for 2.5 hours.
4 questions already asked
Great unit for small spaces, good bass and clear highs. The portability make this very convenient to move around the house and outside.
Anthony from Charlotte, NC