About the Sony STR-DH550
Home theatre sound for any room
Home theatre sound for any room
Getting started with a home theatre system doesn't have to be expensive or complicated. Whether you're looking for a way to enjoy movies and music in your living room, bedroom, basement, or rec room, the Sony STR-DH550 will get you on the right track. Connect stereo or surround speakers to this receiver, along with your cable or satellite box, Blu-ray player, and streaming media device. HDMI connectivity ensures high-definition video and sound, while keeping your setup simple and easy to manage. There are also two subwoofer outputs, so you'll have the option of adding plenty of low-frequency rumble in larger rooms. Before you know it, you'll have a brand new room in your house: the home theatre.
Plug in your Apple® or Android™ device
With more people using smartphones and tablets for music and movies, it's great to have a receiver that can take advantage of them. The 'DH550 features a front-panel USB port for connecting an iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod®. Plug it in and control it with the receiver's remote, so you can listen to your digital music collection while your device charges. If you're an Android user, connect your compatible device to the MHL port. It's an HDMI input that can take video, photos, and music from portable devices and show them on the big screen and play them through your surround speakers. No more huddling around a smartphone to share a video with friends or family.
Sturdy binding posts make connecting speakers quick and easy, with bare wire or banana plug connectors — a rarity at this price point. Worried about getting evenly balanced surround sound from your speakers? Sony does the heavy lifting for you. The STR-DH550 features Digital Cinema Auto Calibration. That means the receiver can configure your speakers for optimum sound once you have them placed where you want them. Just plug in the included setup mic and follow the on-screen instructions for sound tailored to your room and speakers.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 90 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy, accurate speaker setup
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out (including 1 MHL-compatible input)
- MHL-ready HDMI input for accessing content from select Android smartphones and tablets
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from an iPod, iPhone, or USB memory device
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo audio inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- outputs for five speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- 1/4" headphone jack
- 3D and 4K HDMI pass-through
- This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- BRAVIA Sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- convenient on-screen display (via HDMI only)
- 60 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- 17"W x 6-1/8"H x 13-9/16"D
- weight: 17 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- MFR # 11353186
What's in the box:
- 5.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAU190)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone (ECM-AC2)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (w/ attached slip-on "F" connector)
- Reference Guide
- Startup Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- US Warranty sheet
- Canada Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Customer reviews for Sony STR-DH550
More details on the Sony STR-DH550
Features & specs
5.2ch AV Receiver: The Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver is equipped with a 5-channel amplifier rated at 90 watts (into 6-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) which provides high dynamic power with low-impedance drive capability. The STR-DH550 also includes dual LFE (mono-subwoofer) outputs for connecting two powered subs.
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC): The Sony STR-DH550 is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Auto or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Auto: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic: The Sony STR-DH550 AV receiver features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding, as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS 96/24
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process.
- For Movies:
- Dynamic: This setting is suitable for an environment which is reverberant but lacks a spacious feel (where sound absorption is not sufficient). It emphasizes the reflection of sound and reproduces the sound of a large, classic movie theater. This emphasizes the spacious feel of a dubbing theater and creates a unique acoustic field.
- Theater: This setting is suitable for a general living room. It reproduces the reverberation of sound just like in a movie theater (dubbing theater). It is most appropriate for watching content recorded on a Blu-ray Disc when you want the atmosphere of a movie theater.
- Studio: This setting is suitable for a living room with the appropriate sound devices. It reproduces the reverberation of sound provided when a theatrical sound source is remixed for a Blu-ray Disc to a volume level suitable for home use. The level of reflection and reverberation of sound is kept to a minimum, while dialogues and surround effects are reproduced vividly.
- For Music:
- Hall: Reproduces the acoustics of a classical concert hall.
- Jazz Club: Reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club.
- Live Concert: Reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live house.
- Stadium: Reproduces the feel of a large open-air stadium.
- Sports: Reproduces the feel of sports broadcasting.
- Portable Audio: Reproduces clear enhanced sound from your portable audio device. This mode is ideal for MP3s and other compressed music.
Pure Direct: The receiver's Pure Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Headphone Modes: The receiver offers two distinct headphone sound modes.
- HP 2CH: Sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
- HP Direct: Amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Advanced Audio Settings: These advanced audio settings allow you to tailor the sound to your source content, listening conditions, and your personal preferences.
- Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass & treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
- Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjust the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
- Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
- Night Mode: This function allows you to retain a theater like environment at low volume levels. When watching a movie late at night, you will still be able to hear the dialog clear even at a low volume level.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Sony STR-DH550 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital inputs (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel. All of the digital audio jacks are compatible with 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, and 96 kHz sampling frequencies.
- Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use speakers with a 6- to 16-ohm impedance.
- Dual Sub Outputs: The AV receiver is fitted with two subwoofer preamp outputs to connect dual powered subs (the subwoofer outputs share the same input signal and are not discrete).
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted. No sound is output from the headphones when iPod or iPhone is connected to the receiver.
HDMI 2.0: The receiver is equipped with four HDMI (v.2.0) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video component; such as your satellite/cable receiver, Blu-ray/DVD player, and game system. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable via its ARC-compatible HDMI monitor output, reducing cable clutter. The receiver's HDMI v.2.0 jacks are compatible with 4K/60Hz and 1080p video, 3D video signals, Deep Color & x.v.Color technology; as well as LipSync, ARC, and HDMI control.
- 4K/60Hz Pass Through: 4K/60Hz Pass Through allows the Sony STR-DH550 to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K/60Hz compatible TV or display monitor.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony STR-DH550 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The Sony AV receiver also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay is fixed at 60 ms.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
MHL Compatible HDMI: One of the receiver's rear-panel HDMI inputs (labeled "Video/MHL") is MHL compatible, which provides direct connection of MHL compatible smartphones, like your Android smartphone. Playback of up to 1080p video and multi-channel audio from the phone is supported. The receiver will also charge (5V/1A) your connected phone. Play, Stop, and other basic operations can be controlled from the AV receiver's remote control.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
Composite Video Inputs: The Sony STR-DH550 is also fitted with two analog composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. The composite video jacks support 480i video signals only.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy WAV (8-48kHz; 16-bit), MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), and AAC (48-320kbps)music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), Sony Walkman, or USB thumbdrive. The receiver can recognize up to 256 folders and 256 files in each folder. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Sony STR-DH550 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your compatible Apple device by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. You also have access to Repeat (One/All/Off) and Shuffle (Songs/Albums/Off) functions. The receiver offers limited control (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) of music apps on your iPod/iPhone. Song/artist information from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI. Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad. The Sony STR-DH550 is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 4/4/2014).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
On-Screen Menu (via HDMI): You can display the menu of the receiver on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DH550 has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
Input Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Wireless Remote: The supplied IR remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders.
Bravia Sync (HDMI-CEC): Sony's Bravia Sync feature allows you to easily manage select Sony Bravia Sync components and other manufacturer's HDMI-CEC enabled audio/video components with a single remote. By connecting Bravia Sync and other components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function using a HDMI (1.3+) cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
47 questions already asked