About the Cambridge Audio MXN10
Network streaming, Cambridge-style
Network streaming, Cambridge-style
We're excited to see the MXN10 — and it's full-component-sized sibling, the AXN10 — in Cambridge Audio's carefully developed line of streaming network music players. It's got a fantastic high-res DAC, super-flexible streaming options, and great Cambridge sound.
The MXN10 uses an ESS Sabre DAC that serves up clarity and detail with PCM-based files up to 32-bit/768kHz and DSD files up to 22.4 MHz (DSD512). You can play music from your collection of downloaded files and your favourite streaming services like Spotify®, TIDAL, Amazon Music, and more — whether you're connected to your network via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
While this streamer doesn't decode MQA files -- TIDAL's preferred method of delivery for higher-than-CD-quality tracks -- it does have digital outputs that allow you to connect to a DAC that can, like Cambridge's celebrated DacMagic 200M. It's the same width as the MXN10 for a powerful mini-stack that can translate the biggest audio files into beautifully detailed music.
App-based music control
You'll need to download Cambridge's free StreamMagic app, available for Apple® and Android™ mobile devices. It gives you several ways to access and control your music, including support for popular internet streaming services. Or you can play local tracks stored on a NAS drive or even thumb drive connected to the rear-panel USB input. Use the app to assign internet radio stations, playlists, albums, or songs as presets, then call them up easily using the buttons on the player's front panel.
Even more ways to stream
The MXN10 also supports Chromecast-built-in and Apple AirPlay 2 for easy access to even more streaming content. And built-in Bluetooth gives friends and family an easy way to connect wirelessly and play music using a compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer.
If you're using Roon (subscription required), the MXN10 will show up in your player list.
- high-resolution network music player
- compact, half-width footprint
- built-in ESS SABRE ES9033Q DAC
- plays high-res files up to 32-bit/768kHz and DSD512
- add MQA decoding and more with the DacMagic 200M (sold separately)
- free StreamMagic control app for Apple and Android devices
- support for Spotify Connect, TIDAL, Qobuz, and more
- intuitive access to network-attached storage (NAS) and USB-connected drives
- StreamMagic Gen 4 module for fast music retrieval and high-quality sound
- high-quality internet radio uses MPEG-DASH support
- Bluetooth 5.0 for easy streaming connectivity
- Apple AirPlay 2
- Chromecast built-in
- works as a Roon player (requires subscription and Roon Core running on your network)
- Roon Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS drive, or other compatible hardware
- four front-panel buttons let you instantly play your favorite streaming presets
- USB Type-A port for connecting an external drive loaded with music
- supported formats: ALAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD, WMA, MP3, AAC, HE AAC, AAC+, and OGG Vorbis
- Ethernet port for optional hardwired connection to your home network
- analog stereo RCA output for connecting to an amplifier, receiver, or powered speakers
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for connecting to an outboard DAC
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antenna connections (antennas included)
- detachable AC power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 8-1/2"W x 2-1/4"H x 9-5/8"D
- weight: 2.55 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- MFR # C11260K
What's in the box:
- Network player
- 71" AC power cord (non-polarized C-7 plug)
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antennas
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Register Your Product card
Customer reviews for Cambridge Audio MXN10
More details on the Cambridge Audio MXN10
Features & specs
|Optical Digital Inputs||None|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|USB Type A||1|
|USB Type B||None|
|Optical Digital Outputs||None|
|Coaxial Digital Outputs||None|
|DAC Bit Depth||32-bit|
|DAC Sample Rate||768kHz|
|Bluetooth Formats Supported||SBC, AAC|
|Frequency Bands||2.4GHz, 5GHz|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Apple Control App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Android Control App||Apple iOS, Android|
|12 Volt Trigger||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years (3 Yrs w/reg)|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years (3 Yrs w/reg)|
Overview: The Cambridge Audio MXN10 is a compact network audio player that lets you stream high resolution digital audio from multiple sources. It is powered by the StreamMagic Gen 4 Module, the latest version of Cambridge Audio's innovative streaming platform, which is also found in the flagship Edge NQ and CXN V2 network streamers. The MXN10's "half-width" form factor (only 8.5" wide) provides more flexibility for placing the streaming device into your system. The network audio player has no display, but utilizes Cambridge Audio's StreamMagic app for intuitive control, and to view your music files, sources, setup menus, and album art. The MXN10 has analog and digital outputs, Bluetooth 5.0 and dual-band Wi-Fi wireless connections, and USB and Ethernet ports to give you a wide variety of source and connectivity options. The device has a Lunar Grey aluminum cabinet which matches other Cambridge Audio components, such as the DacMagic 200M D/A Converter.
Note: If you have other Cambridge Audio AX-series components, you might consider the matching AXN10 Network Audio Player, which offers the same performance and functionality as the MXN10 in a full-size chassis.
Compatible Sources: The MXN10 network audio player has built-in support for Spotify Connect, TIDAL, Qobuz, and Deezer streaming services, and tens of thousands of internet radio stations. The device is Roon Ready to pull together all of your digital music sources into one easy-to-use library. The MXN10 has Apple Airplay2 and Chromecast Built-in, and supports UPnP, Apple Music, and Amazon Music for even more convenience.
Internet Radio: You can choose from over 20,000 Internet Radio stations on your MXN10, including local, national, and international stations, and special interest stations. The network audio player features MPEG-DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP), which enables higher audio quality with less buffering by adapting to the available bandwidth.
Digital-to-Analog Converter: The MXN10 is equipped with the ESS Sabre ES9033Q Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) for playing your digital music files up to 768kHz/32-bit PCM and DSD512. The device is compatible with the following audio formats: ALAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD (x512), WMA, MP3, AAC, HE AAC, AAC+, OGG Vorbis, HLS/DASH, and .m3u and .pls playlists.
MQA Support: The MXN10 can receive MQA-encoded content, however, it is not possible to play back full MQA files via TIDAL Connect, because the device does not have an MQA decoder to unfold the files. It is possible to bypass the MXN10's built-in DAC and send the digital files to Cambridge Audio's DacMagic 200M (sold separately) for MQA processing and decoding. This requires connecting the MXN10 and the DacMagic 200M via S/PDIF Coaxial or Toslink Optical cable.
StreamMagic: StreamMagic is a proprietary streaming technology created by Cambridge Audio in 2011 to allow listeners to play digital music from anywhere. The MXN10's StreamMagic Gen 4 hardware module (Quad Core ARM Cortex-A53 1.8 GHz) and software bring together your home audio and mobile devices, and multiple digital audio sources for streaming high quality digital audio. StreamMagic constantly updates itself to keep up with the latest technology (including new formats and CODECs), add new features, and improves performance. The complementary StreamMagic by Cambridge Audio app, downloaded to your Android or iOS device, provides total control for the MXN10, and gives you access to your devices, playlists, digital audio files, and internet radio stations. You can assign up to 99 of your favorite Internet Radio stations in the app, including the four preset buttons on the front panel of the MXN10. StreamMagic by Cambridge Audio is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 12.1 or later, and Android phones and tablets running Android 5.0 and up.
Inputs: The MXN10 lets you stream content from a wide variety of sources:
- USB Media Input: The USB-A port on the rear panel supports USB SSD, USB HDD, and USB flash drives. The drives should be formatted to FAT32 and NTFS. The following formats are supported: ALAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD (x512), WMA, MP3, AAC, HE AAC, AAC+, and OGG Vorbis.
- Ethernet: The RJ45 Ethernet port on the rear panel lets you connect directly to your router using a network cable (Cat 5/5E). Supports IEEE 802.3 / 10 Base-T and 100 Base-T Ethernet.
- Wi-Fi: The MXN10 works with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks. The included Wi-Fi antenna plugs into the rear panel.
- Bluetooth: The device has Bluetooth version 5.0 for streaming audio from your smartphone, tablet, or other Bluetooth-enabled digital audio player. The included Bluetooth antenna plugs into the rear panel.
Outputs: The MXN10 outputs audio at a fixed volume level, so you'll need to control the volume via your connected amplifier or pre-amplifier. The three audio outputs remain active at all times, and you can use the outputs one at a time, or all at once simultaneously. The MXN10 includes one analog and two digital outputs:
- Line Output (Analog): Unbalanced audio output with a stereo RCA pair
- Coaxial Digital: S/PDIF digital output, bypasses the built-in DAC
- Optical Digital: Toslink optical digital output, bypasses the built-in DAC
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 70kHz (+0, -1dB)
- THD+N: < 0.001% (0 dBFS, 1 KHz 20k BW)
- S/N Ratio: > 110dB (20k BW)
- Ethernet: IEEE 802.3 10 Base-T or 100 Base-T
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi 5 dual band 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz; WPA2/WPA2-PSK
- Bluetooth: Version 5.0; A2DP, AVRCP, with SBC and AAC codecs
- RCA Output Level: 2 Volts RMS +/-10%
- RCA Output Impedance: 500Ω
- Power Consumption: 20W max, <0.5W standby
- Dimensions: W = 8.5" (w), H = 2.25" (4.0" with antennas), D = 9.25"
- Weight: 40.85 ounces (w/o cables)
Warranty Note: The warranty for the MXN10 is 2 years. U.S. customers can get an extra year of warranty if they register their product on the Cambridge Audio registration site.