About the Yamaha A-S301
A smart buy for your stereo speakers
A smart buy for your stereo speakers
Behind every pair of great speakers, there's a great amplifier. But great doesn't have to mean expensive. The Yamaha A-S301 is a budget-friendly mate for your stereo speakers. This streamlined stereo amp offers solid power alongside sound that's clean and crisp. Anti-resonance construction, a symmetrical circuit layout, and Pure Direct listening mode keep unwanted distortion and interference from cluttering signals. Your music will sound cleaner, so more of those fine details shine through.
Connect your TV and Blu-ray player
The A-S301 has six pairs of analog RCA inputs, including a phono input for connecting a turntable. But music sources aren't the only possibilities: optical and coaxial digital audio inputs let you bring video devices into the fold. Connect a TV or Blu-ray player to these inputs, and enjoy movie sound through your stereo speakers with this amp. It's a cost-effective way to build an excellent two-channel rig in your TV room that offers dynamic sound with a wide stereo image.
- 60 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.019% THD
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) combines a symmetrical circuit layout along with anti-resonance construction for high-quality sound with minimal distortion
- Pure Direct mode allows music signals to travel the shortest possible route through the unit's circuitry for cleaner sound
- optical and coaxial digital audio inputs
- 6 RCA audio inputs, including MM (moving magnet) phono input
- subwoofer output
- two pairs of RCA recording outputs
- signal-to-noise ratio: 99 dB (CD)
- two pairs of binding-post speaker connectors with front-panel switching
- 1/4" headphone jack
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 15-3/8"D
- weight: 19.8 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # A-S301BL
What's in the box:
- Stereo integrated amplifier
- Remote control (RAS13)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Owner's manual (En/ Fr)
- Warranty information (US/CA)
- On-line product registration information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Yamaha A-S301 reviews
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Yamaha A-S301
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||60|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||70|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||99|
|DAC Bit Depth||24-bit|
|DAC Sample Rate||192kHz|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||6|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Home Theater Bypass||No|
|Removable Power Cord||No|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
"Natural Sound" Concept: Yamaha, with a long history of over 125 years as a musical instrument maker, also has a high reputation for HiFi components. Yamaha's A-S301 integrated amplifier takes advantage of this rich experience and high technological expertise. Based on the concept of "Natural Sound", for reproducing all music as it really sounds, and built with scrupulous care from circuit design to basic sound production, the A-S301 reproduces high sound quality and musically rich sound.
Proprietary Yamaha Technologies: The Yamaha AS-301 integrated amplifier employs proprietary Yamaha technologies for optimum performance and sound reproductions.
- ToP-ART Design: When processing and transmission of the audio signal is simple and direct there is less chance of it being affected by noise and distortion. Yamaha's amplifier design technology called "ToP-ART" features an I/O (input to output) Direct Symmetrical Design, with left and right channels organized in a straight, symmetrical layout for highest signal purity.
- ART (Anti-Resonance and Tough): In addition, the ART (Anti-Resonance and Tough) Base bottom chassis and a solid center bar provide high-rigidity support and vibration damping.
High Current Amplifier: The Yamaha A-S301 features a dynamic, high current stereo amplifier with low impedance drive capability. The amp is rated at 60 watts x 2-channels, measured from 20-20 kHz into 8Ω with 0.019% THD (70watts x 2-channels, measured from 20-20 kHz into 6Ω with 0.038% THD).
High Quality Parts: Custom-made power transformer, custom-made block capacitors, two direct signal path speaker relays, one-point grounding system, aluminum-extruded heat sinks and other top-quality parts effortlessly handle demanding audio signal conditions. The quality of each individual part, as well as how they work together, basically determines the sound quality of any component. Yamaha uses only very high quality parts, carefully selected and tested.
Sophisticated Front-Panel Design: With a beautifully simple and unique design inherited directly from Yamaha's HiFi audio components, this amplifier also boast an easy-to-operate button layout. The aluminum front-panel has a richly textured silver hairline finish. The control knobs are also of the same luxurious construction as used on our top-end models. The rotary encoder makes it quick and easy to select input sources. The luxury hairline finish material offers a nice tactile feeling. LEDs clearly show which source is selected, so you can easily switch sources even in a dark room
Pure Direct Mode: The Pure Direct mode causes the music signals to travel the shortest possible circuit route, bypassing the buffer amp and the tone, loudness and balance controls to virtually eliminate any signal degradation for the purest sound quality.
Variable Loudness Control: The A-S301 also features a new analog loudness control on the front-panel that uses electronic volume for higher sound quality, which lets you adjust the loudness effect as desired. Separate from the overall volume, this controls the balance of the low- and high- frequency sounds, providing full tonal range at any volume level; compensating for the natural loss in the human ear of high and low frequencies at soft levels.
Tone Controls: The integrated amplifier features independent bass (20Hz-400Hz band) and treble (3.5kHz-20kHz band) controls so you can increase or decrease the low band and high band frequency response (+/-10dB). The entire low and high bands are increased or decreased (you cannot indicate a specific center frequency for bass & treble). You can also adjust the output balance of the left and right speakers.
Impedance Switch: The integrated amplifier features a rear-panel impedance switch to match the impedance level of the speakers connected. Choose High or Low:
- High: Select High if using one set (A or B) of speakers with impedance of 6-ohm or higher; when bi-wiring the impedance of the speaker must also be 6-ohms or higher.
- Low: Select Low if using one set (A or B) of speakers with the impedance of 4-ohm to 6-ohm; if using two sets (A and B) of speakers simultaneously, the impedance of each speaker must be at least 8-ohms; when bi-wiring the impedance of the speaker must also be 4-ohms to 6-ohms.
Simple Remote Control: The clean, simple design of the remote control provides easy-to-understand one-hand operation. The easy-to-use design makes it simple to adjust song volume and order. The remote has a sophisticated looking hairline finish that matches the design of the amplifiers. You can also use the remote to control a Yamaha CD/SACD player.
Auto Power Standby: The amplifier has a power management function that detects when it hasn't been used for a long time (about 8 hours) even though the power is on, and automatically shifts it into standby mode. So even if you forget to turn it off, power consumption will be minimized.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The Yamaha A-S301 integrated amplifier offers analog & digital inputs for connection of a variety of home audio components.
- RCA + Phono: The Yamaha integrated amplifier is equipped with six analog stereo (RCA) inputs for connecting external analog audio sources, including a turntable. The Phono input can be used to connect a turntable with an MM phono cartridge to play vinyl records. The unit's Phono input also features a ground terminal.
- Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The A-S301 is equipped with both optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital audio inputs. The optical and coaxial inputs will accept 2ch PCM (not Dolby Digital/DTS). The audio stays in the digital domain, giving you pure, pristine dynamic sound for all your entertainment sources, from sports and other programs to movies and concerts.
Recording Outputs: There are also two pair of RCA outputs for recording audio through the amplifier to recording device.
A & B Speaker Terminals: The Yamaha integrated amplifier features binding post terminals for its A & B speaker outputs. You can use the A & B speaker outputs to power two pair of speakers, or bi-wire a single pair of compatible speakers. The terminals are not 5-way binding posts because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they are too far apart for dual banana plugs.
Sub Output: A terminal for connecting a subwoofer is provided, allowing you to increase the bass output of your system for a more powerful sound with better overall sound quality
Headphone Output: The A-S301 integrated amplifier is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone output for connecting a pair of headphones (sold separately). When a set of headphones is plugged in, the speaker outputs are automatically muted.
53 questions already asked
Upgrade from a 90's Technics receiver. Running through Klipsch F2 speakers. With the Yamaha the Klipsch's now sound clear and separation in much improved. More than impressed and sure there's more to discover with the DAC.
Ralph Edward from Gibsonia, PA