About the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52
A taste of high-end audio at a down-to-earth price
A taste of high-end audio at a down-to-earth price
ELAC's original Uni-Fi bookshelf speakers set a high bar for performance and value, and they racked up lots of rave reviews from Crutchfield customers along the way. ELAC's UB52 bookshelf pair — from the newly refreshed Uni-Fi 2.0 Series — promises an even better taste of the high-end audio experience, at a price point that's more accessible than you might expect for speakers this good.
A concentric midrange/tweeter array provides clarity
ELAC has kept much of what made the original Uni-Fi Series so cool, including a concentric driver array that places the tweeter in the middle of the midrange driver. This precise alignment creates a "unified source," ensuring that all frequencies arrive at your ears at the same instant, producing more coherent and accurate sound.
What's new with version 2.0?
The Uni-Fi 2.0 Series features all-new drivers. The UB52's 1" soft-dome tweeter produces better high- and low-frequency extension than the previous series, for improved blending with the newly designed 4" aluminum midrange. And the 5-1/4" aluminum woofer sports a dished cone made from a single piece of aluminum, for better stiffness. The woofer's new cone, oversized magnet, and large-diameter voice coil allow improved bass accuracy and dynamics.
New crossovers help lighten the load on your amp
The driver updates, along with a newly redesigned crossover, make the Uni-Fi 2.0 Series easier for your amplifier to drive than their predecessors. They have a nominal impedance rating of 6 ohms instead of 4 ohms, which means they should work better with a wider range of receivers and amps.
- true 3-way bookshelf speaker design
- custom-designed concentric driver with 4" aluminum cone midrange and 1" soft dome tweeter for clear, accurate mids and highs
- newly designed 5-1/4" woofer with dished aluminum cone
- frequency response: 46-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 85 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- maximum power input: 140 watts
- sophisticated crossover ensures linear response and smooth transition between drivers
- bass-reflex cabinet with front-firing ports
- thick MDF enclosures with internal bracing reduces cabinet vibration that causes unwanted sonic coloration
- binding post speaker terminals
- removable cloth grilles
- black brushed vinyl finish
- 7-5/16"W x 13-5/8"H x 10-7/8"D
- weight: 18.26 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 3 years
- MFR # UB52-BK
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- Operating Instructions
Customer reviews for ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52
More details on the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||4|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Frequency Response||46-35k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-Way post|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
3-Way Driver Design: The Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 bookshelf loudspeaker employs a 3-way design with a new in-house developed concentric driver. A 3-way speaker offers many advantages and allows for a more straighforward approach to driver, crossover, and cabient design. By assigning dedicated drivers to high, midrange, and bass frequencies, each is optimized for the frequency range for which its design and material composition is best suited. The UB52 bookshelf speaker consists of a concentric midrange-tweeter driver for high and midrange frequencies, plus an aluminum-cone woofer that handles lower-frequency midbass and bass.
Newly-Developed Concentric Driver: The Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 bookshelf loudspeaker employs a concentric driver design, combining a 1" soft-dome tweeter and 4" midrange cone diaphragm within a single voice coil. Because of its ideal time-domain characteristics, a concentric driver design delivers the most coherent and accurate reproduction across the treble and midrange frequency spectrums. Positioning the tweeter concentrically within the midrange voice coil achieves a uniform directivity pattern, for flat frequency response and formidable power handling, along with enhanced imaging for both on- and off-axis listening positions.
- Wide-Surround Tweeter: The new wide-surround, soft-dome tweeter enhances it's low and high frequency extension allowing for improved blending with the midrange driver.
- Aluminum Midrange: An entirely new midrange design features a larger diameter voice coil, new aluminum cone profile, new low-profile surround, and an all-new neodymium magnet assembly for improved performance.
Single-Piece Aluminum Woofer: In addition to the concentric midrange-tweeter driver, the Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 features one 5.25" single-piece aluminum cone woofer. This newly developed single-piece aluminum dished cone results in improved stiffness. Combined with an oversized magnet, large diameter voice coil, and extended pole piece, the result is improved accuracy and bass dynamics. Through the use of aluminum, resonances that affect the linearity of common paper cones can be placed beyond the driver's operating frequency range.
Sophisticated Crossover: The UB52 bookshelf speaker employs a sophisticated 3-way crossover design that provides a smooth transition between the high, mid, and bass drivers. This enhanced crossover design improves response linearity, improves driver integration and delivers a true 6-ohm nominal impedance for compatibility with most receivers and amplifiers.
Bass Port: The Elac UB52 bookshelf loudspeaker utilizes a bass reflex enclosure with one front-firing flared port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. Placing the port on the front of the bookshelf speaker allows for greater freedom of placement, even in restricted places like a cabinet or up close to a wall.
Rigid MDF Cabinet: The Uni-Fi 2.0 speaker enclosure is engineered with thick MDF outer walls and a textured wood-grain vinyl finish. The Uni-Fi 2.0 Series cabinet incorporates specially designed internal bracing to add stiffness and strength to the cabinet's outer walls. This bracing greatly reduces cabinet vibration, which causes unwanted coloration to the sound.
Cloth Grille: The UB52 bookshelf loudspeaker comes with an accostically transparent cloth grille that is detachable.
Binding Posts: The Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Series bookshelf loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of heavy-duty, binding-post terminals which will accept bare-wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual).
Mounting Options: The Elac UB52 bookshelf loudspeaker can simply be placed on a flat surface; like a table-top, stand, or shelf. The Elac UB52 does not offer any bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.
Applications: The Elac UB52 bookshelf loudspeaker can be used in a 2ch stereo application, or used as your front speakers and/or rear surround speakers in a multichannel home theater application.
- 2Ch Stereo or Front Speaker Placement: For optimum stereo imaging, place the speakers so that an equilateral triangle is created between the speakers your main listening position. You can also angle ("toe in") the speakers towards the listening position to gain a more focused central image.
- Rear Surround Placement: In a 5.1-channel surround setup, avoid placing the speakers forward of your listening position. The speakers should be spread apart wider than the front speakers. In addition, try to elevate the speakers to the same height or slightly higher as the front speakers for the most enveloping soundfield.
Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Series: The Uni-Fi 2.0 Series from Elac consists of a floorstanding loudspeaker, a bookshelf loudspeaker, and a center-channel loudspeaker (all sold separately). All of the speakers in the Uni-Fi 2.0 Series utilize concentric driver technology for optimum high and midrange frequency reproduction. The Uni-Fi 2.0 Series can be used to create a simple 2ch stereo music setup or a more complex multi-channel home theater surround sound system.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add an ELAC powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Uni-Fi series to bring more bass to your movie and music soundtracks.
The ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 replaces these items
- 3-way design with custom 1" soft dome tweeter concentrically mounted in a 4" aluminum cone midrange plus 5-1/4" aluminum cone woofer
- designed by world-renowned speaker engineer Andrew Jones
- frequency response: 46-25,000 Hz
4 questions already asked