Your cart
Contact us
Close contact box
Connect ID #
640 580 76
Connect ID #
640 580 76
All finished with your chat session?

We’ll email you a transcript of this conversation for your records.

All of our representatives are
currently chatting with other customers.

Please enter your name.  
Please enter a valid email address. Why is this required?

For Tech Support, call 1-888-292-2575

All web chat conversations are recorded. We use automated technology to connect you with an Advisor and to answer some common questions. If you do not consent, please do not continue with chat assistance.

Thank you, !
Our conversation will be emailed to
Chat Advisor Image

Your Advisor,

More about me
Please enter a question  
Don't wait on hold. We'll call you back when it's your turn to talk with the next available .
Please enter your name  
Please enter your phone number  
Please enter a message  

Calls may be recorded for training and quality control purposes.

We are located in Virginia USA.

Lead image

How to choose 3.5 mm audio cables and adapters

Connect a phone, computer, or portable music player to home, car, and pro audio gear

You’ll find a 3.5 mm headphone jack or audio output jack (also known as a “mini” or 1/8" jack) on phones, computers, tablets, portable music players, and other devices.

Want to connect these devices to a home stereo, car stereo, or pro audio mixer? You may need a special cable or audio adapter.

Below I’ll show you some of the most popular and useful 3.5 mm audio cables and adapters. But first, let’s look at the different types of 3.5 mm connectors and parse the lingo used to identify them.

Different types of 3.5 mm connections

TRS (aka stereo mini) is the most common type of 3.5 mm connection. TRS stands for “Tip, Ring, Sleeve.”

TRS connector diagram.

The tip of a TRS plug is for the left channel signal. The ring is for the right channel. And the sleeve is for the ground wire.

TS (aka mono mini) plugs have a tip for the audio signal and a sleeve for the ground.

TS connector diagram.

3.5 mm TS cables are often used for 12-volt trigger connections between audio components.

TRRS — The tip is for the left channel, and the first ring is for the right channel. The second ring is for the ground, and the sleeve is for a microphone channel.

TRRS connector diagram.

TRRS connections are used in headsets or earbuds that include an inline controller and a built-in mic.

When shopping for 3.5 mm cables and adapters, make sure you properly match the plugs to the jacks at hand.

How do you know which type of 3.5 mm jack you have? Look for a pictogram next to the jack.

Illustration of a TRRS plug and the symbol that typically appears beside it.

The TRRS icon depicts a headset with a microphone.

Illustration of a TRS plug and the symbol that typically appears beside it.

The TRS icon depicts headphones only, and it may be color-coded green.

You probably won’t see pictograms on cell phones that have headphone jacks. Don’t fret. They will work with both TRS and TRRS plugs. If you use a TRS headphone connection with a cell phone, you won’t have a microphone, but you’ll hear stereo music just fine.

Now, let’s take a look at some very handy cables and adapters.

3.5 mm connections for home and car stereo gear

Need to connect a device with a 3.5 mm headphone jack to a home stereo or car stereo with RCA inputs? There are a couple of ways to do that.

If you already have a standard RCA patch cable, you can use an inexpensive adapter. If you don’t have a patch cable, it’s best to buy a cable with a 3.5 mm stereo plug on one end and a pair of RCA plugs on the other end.

What if your phone doesn’t have a headphone jack? There’s an adapter for that.

iPhone aux cord – Lightning to 3.5 mm stereo male

Belkin’s Lightning audio adapter cables are for the newer iPhone and iPads that don’t have a headphone jack. They let you plug your iPhone into a home stereo, car stereo, powered speaker, audio mixer, or any other device that has a 3.5 mm stereo input jack.

Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter cable

Available in 3- and 6-foot lengths, Belkin's Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter cables are Apple MFi-certified (Made for iPhone). They include a tiny built-in digital-to-analog converter.

Stereo mini female to RCA stereo male breakout adapter

Say you want to connect your iPhone to a stereo system that does not have a 3.5 mm input jack. Plug the iPhone aux cord into this adapter. Now you can connect to the stereo’s RCA input jacks.

Stereo mini female to RCA stereo male breakout adapter

This inexpensive breakout adapter is a great companion to your iPhone aux cord.

USB-C to 3.5 mm audio adapter

Do you own an Android phone that doesn’t have a headphone jack? This USB-C dongle has a 3.5mm jack built-in. Use for headphones or connection to a stereo system.

USB-C dongle with 3.5mm jack built in

This dongle is compatible with TRRS headphone plugs for the mic and hands-free call functions.

Stereo mini male to RCA stereo female adapters

Need to connect an Android phone to a stereo system’s aux input? You can get a 3.5 mm male to RCA female adapter like the one shown below, connect it to the USB-C dongle, and then run a standard RCA patch cable between the adapter and the aux input.

Stereo mini male to RCA stereo female adapters

This adapter is about 8" long. If you're looking for something more compact, try this one.

Or, instead of the adapter and a patch cord, you could use one of the mini-to-RCA cables shown below.

3.5 mm TRS male to RCA stereo male cables

Are you connecting a portable high-res audio player to a high-end audio system? Then you’ll want an audiophile-grade cable, like this one from Audioquest.

Audioquest cable

If you’re not using audiophile-grade gear, a more affordable cable like this Hosa model will get the job done.

Hosa cable

3.5 mm connections for pro audio gear

New to the world of pro audio gear? Maybe you’re using a small audio mixer to create a podcast. Or maybe you’re using a powered PA speaker or two for neighborhood Karaoke parties. You may find that you need a 3.5 mm adapter to complete your kit.

Stereo mini male to 1/4" TRS male

Need to connect a phone or computer to an audio mixer? Does your mixer have a 1/4" stereo input jack, like the ones shown below?

Mixer with a 1/4" stereo input jack

Then you need a 3.5 mm to 1/4" cable like this one.

Hosa cable

A lot of small mixers have a 3.5 mm stereo input. Like the one shown here.

3.5 mm stereo input on a small mixer

For those, you just need a 3.5 mm TRS cable.

Stereo mini “breakout” cables and adapters

If you don’t have a 3.5 mm stereo input or a 1/4" stereo input on your mixer, you can use a “breakout” cable or adapter to put the left and right channels on two different stems. Here are three different ways to do that.

1) 3.5 mm TRS male to two 1/4" mono plugs

3.5 mm TRS male to two 1/4" mono plugs

2) 3.5mm TRS to dual 1/4" TS female

3.5mm TRS to dual 1/4" TS female

This adapter is a good choice if you already own a couple of TS cables or you need a length you can’t find in a breakout cable.

3) 3.5 mm TRS plug to two XLR plugs.

3.5 mm TRS plug to two XLR plugs

3.5 mm headphone adapters

Headphone plugs and headphone jacks can be 3.5 mm or 1/4". So you may need to convert 3.5 mm to 1/4" or vice versa.

Converters, 3.5 mm to 1/4" or vice versa

Want to feed two pairs of headphones from a single output? Headphone Y-adapters come in a variety of configurations.

Headphone Y-adapter

Headphone extension cables

Headphone extension cables also come in a variety of lengths and configurations. I included the 1/4" versions in the table below to give you options. You can use them with adapters for 3.5 mm plugs or jacks. The Grado model is the best choice for audiophile-grade headphones.

Brand Length Description Item number
Hosa 10 feet 3.5mm TRS male to 3.5mm TRS female 979MHE110
Hosa 25 feet 3.5mm TRS male to 3.5mm TRS female 979MHE125
Hosa 10 feet 1/4" TRS male to 1/4" TRS female 979HPE310
Hosa 25 feet 1/4" TRS male to 1/4" TRS female 979HPE325
Grado 12 feet 1/4" TRS male to 1/4" TRS female 786XTNSN12

3.5 mm cables

Finally, you may find that you just need a 3.5 mm stereo (TRS) cable. Here are some options:

Brand Length Item number
Hosa 5 feet 979CMM105
Hosa 10 feet 979CMM110
Scosche 6 feet (flat, right angle plug on one end) 142AUX6FBK
Scosche 3 feet 142I335

We also offer a wide selection of audiophile-grade 3.5 mm stereo cables from Audioquest. Currently, we offer just one 3.5 mm mono (TS) cable.

3.5 mm to RJ45 adapters

If you need to send the audio signal from a phone or computer over a long distance (up to 150 feet), you can use CAT5 Ethernet cable and one of these 3.5 mm to RJ45 adapters on each end.

3.5 mm mono (TS) cable

These adapters are often used in commercial audio systems or whole-house audio systems. If you have a building with a wired network, you can put the audio source component in one room and the amplifiers in another.


Need help choosing audio cables and adapters? Contact one of Crutchfield’s expert advisors.

Want to learn more about audio cables, jacks, and plugs? Read our A/V cables buying guide and our A/V connections glossary.

  • joe wagner from fort bragg ca

    Posted on 1/23/2022

    boy that was a lot of info, but nothing about trs vs trrs for composite video from a raspberry pi single board computer. being an audio company, i guess using linux based media servers like KODI or just general use of the pi mini plug isn't a thing? millions sold. i run three 8gb pi4's for my in house pc, my knyo radio uploader rig, and general use/air monitor in my studio using a higher gain hat board. would be nice to see the coolest computer trend represented in this listing...

Compare the sound